I'm sure this has been covered but wanted some up to date info

Guest Kamikaze

Guest Kamikaze

Taking the family to Orange Beach, AL on Saturday. Being right on the Florida line we will be spending time in both states. I open carry about half the time around here. From what I have gathered open carry is legal in Alabama and illegal in Florida. Is this correct?

Also what is the beach considered? A park? Private Property of the condo? We had a problem last year and I would like to carry every were I can. Thanks guys.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kamikaze

Yeah, I printed those off two days ago and have been reading through them. Some of this stuff is more complicated than it needs to be. :P

Guest Kamikaze

So how concealed does it have to be? Paddle holster with a t-shirt pulled over it concealed, or supertuck with bluejeans and tucked in flannel shirt with sweatshirt over it concealed?

So how concealed does it have to be? Paddle holster with a t-shirt pulled over it concealed, or supertuck with bluejeans and tucked in flannel shirt with sweatshirt over it concealed?

Goood question. Glad we dont have to worry about that in TN. Just realized when i go to FL i forget about the concealed part. I carry concealed anyways, but could have glock pocket from time to time.

Guest Kamikaze

So what would be the interpretation of "ordinary sight"? Does that mean if it is covered by clothing making a visible barrier between the observer and the gun, or does that mean that along with covering it you also have to mask the the shape and appearance of it as well? With my supertuck at 5 o'clock and my sub compact I can wear shorts and a single t-shirt and fool anyone. With a paddle holster and the same outfit the gun is covered but noticeable. Seems very vague to me. Guess it will depend on the local customs. Being right on the state line I'm sure it has come up from time to time. Would it be worth contacting the local PD and asking or would they consider that a waist of there time?

Guest Kamikaze

I just got off the phone with the Escumbia County Sheriffs Department. The Deputy I spoke to told me that in order to be in compliance with the law your firearm had to be totally concealed as in no visible printing, breeze blowing or reaching for the top shelf in the grocery store. I asked if them being on the Alabama line caused this to come up often. He said it did and he appreciated me asking before I came down. If caught they only check your permit and give you a warning. So anyway from the mouth of local law enforcement at least in Escumbia County and the town of Pensacola you have to cover them up good.

Sounds pretty lame for such a hot and humid state. At least it seems they are nice about it. I should have asked him about the Flori-Bama club...... Is one side open and the other concealed??? :screwy:

I just got off the phone with the Escumbia County Sheriffs Department. The Deputy I spoke to told me that in order to be in compliance with the law your firearm had to be totally concealed as in no visible printing, breeze blowing or reaching for the top shelf in the grocery store. I asked if them being on the Alabama line caused this to come up often. He said it did and he appreciated me asking before I came down. If caught they only check your permit and give you a warning. So anyway from the mouth of local law enforcement at least in Escumbia County and the town of Pensacola you have to cover them up good.

Sounds pretty lame for such a hot and humid state. At least it seems they are nice about it. I should have asked him about the Flori-Bama club...... Is one side open and the other concealed??? :D

Good info to have, but the trouble with a subjective law/definition like this is...each officer and/or judge can have a different opinion. All you can do is the best you can to comply as you understand the law to be.

Sounds like worst case scenario for you though is a warning.... Have a good trip.

Guest Kamikaze

Well we made it here. I was mistaken about the location of the condo. It is on the Florida side.....

No real hassle getting here. Although it was funny this morning. We stopped to get gas 2 blocks from my house at the store I go in everyday. I have never been talked to by anyone about carrying until this morning. The guy beside me in line was eyeballing me so I asked how he was doing. He said fine and then went on to say it was strange to see someone with a pistol in a gas station. We had a good discussion on Tennessee gun laws and my .45. He said he was going to look into a permit and look into a .45 XD. I guess that is the upside to open carry.

Then in an Alabama gas station the lady behind the counter looked at me funny and asked what I did. I told her I was a welder. She then asked why I had a gun. I then educated her and her male co-worker about how to obtain a permit in Alabama the best that I could. They appreciated that and told me thanks and to have a nice day.

That is the most attention I have ever received. Afterwards I put .45 up and swapped to my lowly 9mm and my supertuck for the ride into Florida. All in all a good day with no issues. Now to hit the beach!