Gun City Incident

Such as the case may be, but we're all fools who still have our pinkies. Arrogant dick. :D

That's freaking money right there!

Buford is a douche the only people I've ever met that liked him were some security guards.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
Maybe someone could teach him how to do a proper press check. I mean, even if you are going to pull the trigger and have a negligent discharge, there's no reason to go and blow your pinkie off.

I'm just glad he shot himself and not a student.

Maybe someone could teach him how to do a proper press check. I mean, even if you are going to pull the trigger and have a negligent discharge, there's no reason to go and blow your pinkie off.

This is the point MacGyver. +1

Even if things went exactly as he said, he still needs to own up to the fact that he broke a gun safety/handling rule. You never have the muzzle pointed at any part of your body at anytime. So if the projectile hit his pinky...................HE IS AT FAULT. No discussion......that is a fact.

Edited by timcalhoun
  • Administrator
Me too. Even though I suspect that the only thing between him and that was the grace of God.

You know what they say... God smiles on fools. No, wait... that means God smiles on us according to Buford. Oh well, I'm OK with that too. :)

I'll never forget the day that I saw him have his students point their guns at him on the National Guard range down here in Smyrna. It was kind of like seeing the Great White Buffalo. You've always heard it existed, but you never really believed it. I wonder if he'll keep doing THAT now that he's re-discovered the fact that sometimes people don't follow rules and don't unload their guns.

Of course, that would be something of a self-correcting problem too.

• Admin Team

You know, one of the saddest things about this is the number of beginning gun owners that were in that class who will not go on to get their HCP. Maybe not everyone, but I'm sure there will be at least a few who walked away saying, "well if this expert can't handle a weapon safely, I have no business doing so."

If I was a certified instructor, I'd offer every student in that class a free training class.

Guest BEARMAN

Be sure and "TUNE" in for more Mis-adventures of Buford the bafoon...hopefully NOT coming to a gun range near you! LOL.:)

• Administrator
I bet if you asked Buford (on May 13th) if a gun could discharge without pulling the trigger, he would have given the same speech many here are giving. :D

Bah. Some people will always accuse someone or something else of causing the error rather than manning up and taking blame for their own mistakes. Just because a certain firearm design MIGHT permit firing out of battery, it doesn't remove human fault from the equation. They just don't go off on their own.

Buford's latest mass email...

THIS IS AN EMAIL FROM AN APPS FRIEND WHO IS A MEMBER OF THE TENNESSEE GUN OWNERS AND HE SENT ME THE INFO BELOW FROM THE OWNER OF HTE ASSICIATION! IT IS HARD FOR ME TO BELIEVE THAT ANYONE WOULD LAUGH ABOUT THE INJURY OF ANOTHER! THE INFORMATION HE IS GIVING IS INFO THAT I WOULD IEK TO KNOW THE ANSWER TO AS TO THE APPS SUTDENTS HE IS TALKING ABOUT THAT HAVE BEEN IN SHOOTING, INTERACTION WITH POLICE AND ARE BAD GUN OWNERS AND BAD PEOPLE CARRYING THE GUNS!

THIS IS ALSO THE REASO I SEND OUT A EXPLAINATION TO THE INCIDENT! IF ANY OF YOU ARE MEMBERS OF TGO YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO RESPOND WITH THE TRUTH AND IF OF YOU DO JOIN PLEASE RESPOND WITH THE TRUTH.

AGAIN THIS IS THE REASON I AM NOT A MEMBER OF ANY BLOGS OR WEB TALK STUFF!

Here is just one comment on the Tennessee Gun Owners Forum from a gun shop and gun school about your mistake. Almost all the other comments are about the same. You should go to that forum [it has posted the email message you sent out about your accident], to see what others are saying really took place. The owner of the Tennessee Gun Owners forum lives in Murfreesboro and has let others know how he feels about you. I took a class that you taught and thought you might want to reply to some of the comments.

Pssst.....hey Buford.....you shot yourself buddy...can't really get around that one. Just saying.

I'll pass on the typos as we all know its hard to spell LIKE with only one pinky

Somebody, somewhere just spit beer all over their screen :D

• Administrator

It's one thing that he watches the forum and knows what folks here really think of him. It's another type of "awesome" entirely that we've got sycophantic members who feel the need to scurry back to their digitally-deficient mentor and tattle like school children. That koolaid must really be strong. :D

Let's be mature adults here for a second and ponder this for a moment:

sitealign.jpg

Does that look right to anyone here? Seriously? Does that look like something you should ever do, no matter whether you have checked the gun in that student's hand a million times before giving it to them? That REALLY looks like a valid instructional method to anyone present?

My personal opinion is that it is nothing more than showmanship meant to inspire a sense of "Whoa... what a bad ass!" in the students. I can't think of a single instructor that I've taken classes with who would ever... ever... EVER do something as silly and downright dangerous as this, let alone demand that their students participate.

What's next? Standing downrange with an apple on his head?

That's just absurd and, again just my personal opinion here, he should have his instructor's license pulled for that sort of negligent behavior. It's just wrong on so many levels and it subjects the student(s) to the possibility of mental/emotional/psychological trauma on a level that that you can't possibly exaggerate should something go wrong.

I'm personally giddy with anticipation over the idea that sooner or later he's going to use the experience of blowing his finger off as anecdotal proof that people should only buy revolvers. He's pretty outspoken against automatics anyway, as anyone who has been in one of his classes or has sat in a TFA meeting at his facility can attest.

Oh, and I don't live in Murfreesboro. Just sayin'.

Guest HvyMtl
sitealign.jpg

I can be handy to have around. :)

Okey

:D:D:eek::death:

My thoughts on this picture in emoticons... Unbelieving, slack jawed, Hey don't do that! Surprised he is not dead.

Edited by HvyMtl
Guest ArmaDeFuego

sitealign.jpg

Thats got to be Photoshopped right..... RIGHT?

If not, well then all I can say is wow, just wow. How could an instructor ask his students to break the first principle of firearm safety?

Wow....

Does that look right to anyone here? Seriously? Does that look like something you should ever do, no matter whether you have checked the gun in that student's hand a million times before giving it to them? That REALLY looks like a valid instructional method to anyone present?

It looks to me like whoever is holding the gun is busting the guy in the flag T-shirt in the mouth with a two hand grip while Buford yells at him. Is that not what’s happening?

Is there a story about this picture some where? :D

Thats got to be Photoshopped right..... RIGHT?

If not, well then all I can say is wow, just wow. How could an instructor ask his students to break the first principle of firearm safety?

Wow....

Doesn't look like it to me. We need to get our birth certificate forensic team to look at it.

BufordDouchemoment.jpg

Guest FHTMcrt

Really wish I hadn't seen that picture! I knew BT from a long time ago...won't say how, but he worked an off-hours job for someone who worked for me. He was with Metro then, and a nice guy. I always meant to look him up when I was in Nashville, but I never got a round tuit. Rumors are one thing, but when a lapse in judgement is caught on camera...too bad.

• Admin Team

When I was first out of college, we sold our first company and had gotten a CEO who turned out to be a thief. He was a friend to many in the company, but we saw what was happening and went up our new chain of command. They ended up firing him, but unbeknownst to him, they used us to lock him out of everything.

After the firing, he called a last meeting, came before our team and reported that he had done what he had been hired to do, fulfilled his commitment, "delivered the ship home", and was leaving to pursue other opportunities. He lied to our faces. Everyone in the room knew what he had done, though he had no clue.

In the coming months, he couldn't figure out why no one wanted to hang out anymore. I wish at 23 years old I had had the nerve to call him on his lie.

I took something from that situation that I've carried the rest of my life. That day, he could have walked into that room and told us that he had screwed up and was sorry. His choices affected all of us negatively, but had he walked into the room and admitted it and apologized, he would have walked out of that room with our respect and at least some friendship. Instead, he lied to our faces and lost 28 friends. And, instead of moving forward, his poor choices have followed him for the last 15 years.

Buford, if you happen to read this (or are forwarded it by proxy) know that some good can come from your situation. And, the choices you make in the following days will affect how you are remembered. There is a lot that every gun owner can learn from your incident. You violated at least two of the top 4 rules of handling a weapon. They're there for a reason.

By telling your story honestly and admitting your mistake, you deliver a valuable lesson that each of us need to hear. Instead, you're in danger of becoming a punchline, and rightfully so. As the story stands right now, you'll deserve it.

You've got supporters and detractors just the same as anyone. Don't fool yourself, though. Sometimes, the naysayers have a point that's worth listening to and thinking about.

You have an opportunity to take a bad situation and let some good come from it. Figure out a way to do this. I expect whatever legacy you have as a trainer depends on this.

Edited by MacGyver