Glad I live in TN

Guest RichieRich

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been posted over and over again. The only outcome from your post is going to be a warning for bashing and a locked thread. People need to quit all of this. I bet I can find a bad example of your profession. Please post it so I can bash.

Like your mother said, nothing nice to say and all that.

Dolomite

People need to realize that the majority of problems we see within LE are not the individual officer’s fault, it is the departments fault. Either there is not enough training or the wrong type of training as well as inadequate supervision. I can say that I have seen departments try to either fill the required training time with some sort of a time vampire. Most times it ends with every officer watching the clock tick off the last hour or two on each day of training. Other times the department trainers just end classes early even though there is a requirement for a certain amount of training.

We, as citizens, need to realize that there is a difference between the officer that was not properly trained and the officer that knows better but chooses to do the wrong thing. There are probably more that fall into the first category than the second but we all assume that the officer knew but in most cases they do not. And for the officers that fall into the second category there is no amount of training that is going to fix them because they have been doing it a long time before getting caught. And when they get caught they often have to go through some sort of remedial training but by this time it is generally too late. And in what I have seen most return to their previous ways.

In the majority of the hater threads as of late the officer is not the problem. The department and their way of doing things is the problem. Had the officers been properly trained and had a decent supervisor, that is also properly trained, most of what we are seeing here would have never happened in the first place.

Dolomite

Guest RichieRich
This has been posted over and over again. The only outcome from your post is going to be a warning for bashing and a locked thread. People need to quit all of this. I bet I can find a bad example of your profession. Please post it so I can bash.

Like your mother said, nothing nice to say and all that.

Dolomite

To me, this came off as a guy who was looking to provoke an encounter with LEO in an environment (northeast) which is culturally not receptive to open carry. Fortunately, we overall live in a more favorable area (Philadelphia handgun laws have been characterized by some as Draconian).

He was not wearing a concealed garment in cold weather (the first red flag), had a tape recorder ready to go (second red flag) and refused to obey multiple directives of a LEO.

If a legally armed citizen actively goes looking for trouble, he is likely to find it, and this case proves it. I think that's the moral of this story.

If that's bashing anyone, please accept my apologies.

• Moderators
People need to realize that the majority of problems we see within LE are not the individual officer’s fault, it is the departments fault. Either there is not enough training or the wrong type of training as well as inadequate supervision. I can say that I have seen departments try to either fill the required training time with some sort of a time vampire. Most times it ends with every officer watching the clock tick off the last hour or two on each day of training. Other times the department trainers just end classes early even though there is a requirement for a certain amount of training.

We, as citizens, need to realize that there is a difference between the officer that was not properly trained and the officer that knows better but chooses to do the wrong thing. There are probably more that fall into the first category than the second but we all assume that the officer knew but in most cases they do not. And for the officers that fall into the second category there is no amount of training that is going to fix them because they have been doing it a long time before getting caught. And when they get caught they often have to go through some sort of remedial training but by this time it is generally too late. And in what I have seen most return to their previous ways.

In the majority of the hater threads as of late the officer is not the problem. The department and their way of doing things is the problem. Had the officers been properly trained and had a decent supervisor, that is also properly trained, most of what we are seeing here would have never happened in the first place.

Dolomite

These are very valid points that beg this question; knowing that the root issues lay in departmental policy and training, how do we as citizens effectively give input into the training our officers receive in such a way as to positively impact their fulfillment of their duties? How can we help make our LE agencies better? That, I think, is the real discussion we need to be having.