Recommending a handgun.

mav

I am often (every week or so) asked by numerous people what type of gun should they buy. My first question is always, what do you want to do with it? Most of the time their response is always for self defense reasons. In those cases I always recommend a Glock.

While a 1911 is my favorite handgun, there are so many benefits from a Glock. They are:

relatively inexpensive, very reliable, accurate enough for most people, easy to maintain and/or modify, they have a decent resale value, and there is a plethora of aftermarket parts available if one should choose to customize their handgun. I also recommend Glock because I think the trigger is so much better than a traditional DA/SA (just a personal preference).

I also recommend Glock in 9mm (17, 19, 26). It is cheaper to practice with, and for the average shooter who shoots very little, the recoil is no problem whatsoever. I guess I am just a little old school when it comes to ammo preference. Give me either 9mm or .45.

I know there are a bunch of great and inexpensive guns on the market, but Glock is always the one that I recommend. Think I am steering people in the right direction?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to agree. Being relatively new to handguns, I tried several of the more inexpensive brands, but once I tried Glock, I have traded or sold everything else. I've had Ruger, KelTec, Taurus, Skky, and a couple others that aren't coming to mind right now, but the Glock is the only one that has never given a problem at all.

No, they aren't pretty. No, they aren't perfect. However, they are trouble free.

You are not hurting anything, but I tell them to try a DA, SA, DAO, "safe" action, etc as well as some calibers and get back to me on what they like and do not like. A glock has its charm but its not for everyone, and $500+ down the tubes for a gun they hate is steep for many people.

Mav,

I have over the years convinced at least 10 guys I have worked with into Buying Glocks as well. I never recommend my favorite handgun the 1911 unless they have the budget to get at least a semi custom one. I am thinking about buying a Gen3 G17 for my wife I do NOT care for the 4th Gen Glocks I do hope they will continue to manufacture the Gen 3

Guest friesepferd

if you are recommending a glock just because someone says they want a gun for self defense, then you simply arent asking enough questions.

when someone asks me what kind of gun they should get, i respond with about 30 questions about what they are looking for in a self defense gun, how often they plan on shooting, how they would want to carry, how often, for the home or carrying, soo soo many questions that really make a huge difference on what kind of gun to get.

If I actually have them narrowed down to a double stack stricker fire gun, then i tell them to go shoot a few glocks and shoot a few XDs. There simply is no one answer for everyone.

I recommend Glock probably more often than anything else. I do make a few suggestions to try as well that have proven reliable and dependable for most everyone, including those who do not obsess about taking care of a firearm. I might suggest trying the M&P for instance. Next to the Glock it has now proven itself worthy and is available in nearly every decent sized gun shop. If someone asks me which Glock to buy, but has no idea what it they really are and just knows the name from movies and such I might ask they want a Glock and what it is they like about them.

Many recommend revolver, but I have found autos to be easy to learn to shoot and easy to reload. The Glock is very easy on both of these points. I do prefer the 9mm myself even today and I usually suggest others try it as an excellent round to learn with. This is general in nature, they may want a larger or smaller gun. Again if they have told me it is for self defense. Usually they ask with a specific purpose in mind already and so I am going on that.

I have shot just about everything out there, owed a tons of makes, and have had a great appreciation for many guns, but many I have liked are expensive to buy, 1911, or are hard to find like the HK P7 which is expensive as well.

Some have suggested the Glock doesn't fit a lot of hands, but here again I have found with practice and training it isn't difficult. After many years of shooting 1911 I found the Glock odd to handle as most double stacks are, with the exception of the CZ75 which I very easy to handle. But, after watching a friend of mine teach a bunch of 10-15 year old boys and girls shoot Glock 19's extremely well, despite their smaller hands than mine, I proceeded to really make an effort to become proficient.

Some say the Glock is only so so for accuracy. However, unless you are shooting bullseye, it is more than accurate enough for self defense. In fact I will say this with certain fact; I can shoot my Glock 19 more accurate fast than any other gun I have ever owned, including my 1911's. These are no slouch 1911's either. Out past 25 yards and slow shooting I still give the edge to the 1911. I have also outshot many a 1911 owner who claimed I couldn't outshoot them with their 1911, with my lowly Glock, as well. In the end if you put in the effort and practice the results will follow. A bad shooter will not become a good shooter with an expensive gun and vice versa. Even thoug you are a big fanboy of the 1911 MAV I admire your resistance to recommend them. The 1991 is a gun for a true shooter, who lkes guns, likes being proficient with guns and realizes they need to know something about that gun to properly care for it and keep it running. For many years there were few options to the 1911 or Highpower and most were less reliable and all required a lot of maintenance. Now however, there are several good choices for pistols that last for years and years with minimal maintenance or issues.

The Glock with some good training is a very easy firearm to become an acceptable self defense shooter with.

If you treat your firearm like you treat your lawnmower, buy a Glock. :rolleyes:

Edited by Warbird
Guest bluemarlin

As the new owner of a gen 4 Glock 26, I have no problem with you recommending a Glock for self defense. I love mine. For a beginner though, I believe the Springfield XDM is a better choice. With all else being nearly equal, the XDM simply provides more safety features and that may be in everyone's best interest who is around the new shooter while they are handling their first pistol. The loaded chamber indicator is more conspicuous on the XDM. Also, they don't have to pull the trigger on the XDM during the field stripping process. Just lock the slide back, flip up the disassembly lever, and move the slide forward slowly to remove it. Piece of cake and no accidental discharges either. JMHO.

Guest dprovons

Agree 100%. I also like that all the magazines from a family of Glocks fit all sizes (full-size, compact and subcompact). Makes it easy to center on a particular caliber and and all the guns shoot the same. If I were starting out to buy my first gun, I think it would be my choice as well. Unfortunately, I started out with Sigs and H&Ks--so I'm already spoiled. :D

I agree with everything you said and I too have recommended Glocks to several people.

Yes , Glocks for ease of maintenance , rust resistance , and reliability . But if they want a traditional DA/SA I say get the Stoeger Cougar in 9mm . You have a hammer fired pistol with a DA/SA and they can learn the basics . Plus it is a big bang for the buck . I love mine . Just look at the pic in my avatar ! Its my Stoeger Cougar in .45acp

What do you do that all these people are asking you what gun to buy? I’m a former cop and been collecting and shooting in competition for over 40 years; I don’t get asked about guns very often (except when I was a cop).

I feel left out. :D

Let me slow down this Glock fan boy train though. I wouldn’t walk across the street to get a Glock for free, if I had to keep it. I would never recommend a Glock for a first gun, and I certainly wouldn’t recommend a Glock for someone with kids unless they had a lot of firearms experience. Of course then they wouldn’t be asking.... would they?

If someone is asking what gun they should buy; they probably don’t need a Glock.

Carry on with your Kool-Aid party. :)

leaving.gif

smilielol5.gif

New to the forum and first post. I have to disagree about recommending a Glock for someone with small hands. I've tried all the Glocks, even the newest smaller ones and the grips are just too large for me. Of course I could shoot one, but they would never be as comfortable to me as a pistol with a slimmer grip. I recently acquired the Ruger SR9c and one of the main reasons for that choice was the grip size. The S&W M&P Compact with the small grip insert was also a candidate, but I ultimately went with the Ruger since it's a big brother to my LCP. I may have to think about adding the LC9 too before long.

Edited by LCPfraTN
What do you do that all these people are asking you what gun to buy? I’m a former cop and been collecting and shooting in competition for over 40 years; I don’t get asked about guns very often (except when I was a cop).

Nothing special. I just happen to deal with a lot of chemical salesmen/vendors, who like most people are not participants within the gun culture. Everyone I know within my industry pretty much knows that I am into firearms, meaning they know I have more than one and I shoot frequently. While just talking in general before actually getting to business realted discussions, I might get hit with a question like, "I have thought about getting a handgun over the past couple of years. What would you recommend?"

While I understand where you guys are coming from in not recommending a Glock as a first handgun for an inexperienced person, I disagree. If someone follows the golden rules of firearms (treat all guns as they are loaded, keep your finger off the trigger etc...), I do not see a Glock as anymore dangerous than any other firearm.

I like Glocks, M&Ps and XDs. I have shot them all and usually fall back to my ugly Gen 2 19c and 22. I DO like the 1911s but for me too big and cumbersome for practicing or carrying plus they are darn complicated. I can't explain it and I do agree you have to find what fits and works best for you. There are tons of choices. At the range I go to they offer a class to help determine this and try different hand guns.

Nothing special. I just happen to deal with a lot of chemical salesmen/vendors, who like most people are not participants within the gun culture. Everyone I know within my industry pretty much knows that I am into firearms, meaning they know I have more than one and I shoot frequently. While just talking in general before actually getting to business realted discussions, I might get hit with a question like, "I have thought about getting a handgun over the past couple of years. What would you recommend?"

While I understand where you guys are coming from in not recommending a Glock as a first handgun for an inexperienced person, I disagree. If someone follows the golden rules of firearms (treat all guns as they are loaded, keep your finger off the trigger etc...), I do not see a Glock as anymore dangerous than any other firearm.

Its not that. I agree that all modern guns are, by and large, equally safe apart from the occasional lemon or known bad design. I do mock the "safe action" name... the implication is its more safe than other guns, and that is simply not true, but thats just marketing and worthy of being mocked. The reason to not recommend a glock is that one gun does not fit all people and if the person takes your recommendation they have a high chance of getting a gun they do not like and not even knowing how to find one they would like. I have to wonder how many guns glock sells to folks that do not know any better... my dad, wife, and sister are 3 that I can think of right off. That is not to say, "dont recommend a glock" either thoug... my point is recommending any one style or brand name does not work well, instead you have to encourage the person to try different stuff and decide their own likes and dislikes. If the person does not want to do this, and just wants to have a gun to have one, any brand or model will do and the glock as good a choice as any if they really and truly want you to decide for them, but I would encourage the person to shop first and buy later.

If the person does not want to do this, and just wants to have a gun to have one, any brand or model will do and the glock as good a choice as any if they really and truly want you to decide for them, but I would encourage the person to shop first and buy later.

That is the problem. The vast majority of people I talk to on the matter weren't really serious and will more than likely not purchase a gun. If they do purchase one, they will probably never shoot it or practice with it. The chances of them actually going into a gun store with a range and renting several models to try is pretty much slim to none. I think it is a pretty fair assumption that most people who own handguns hardly ever shoot them.

I don't buy into the safe action either. As long as my finger is off the trigger, all of my guns are safe action.

That is the problem. The vast majority of people I talk to on the matter weren't really serious and will more than likely not purchase a gun. If they do purchase one, they will probably never shoot it or practice with it. The chances of them actually going into a gun store with a range and renting several models to try is pretty much slim to none. I think it is a pretty fair assumption that most people who own handguns hardly ever shoot them.

I don't buy into the safe action either. As long as my finger is off the trigger, all of my guns are safe action.

For this type of person... sigh ... yea a glock a solid thing to say due as they go bang without regular maintence. There are others that do the same, such as rugged milsurp pistols, but those often have hard to get ammo etc. that noobs should not have to deal with. Its as good a thing to recommend as any.

Guest Roadkill Bill

If talking automatics, Glock is the way to go. However, for some folks a revolver is a much better choice. We (guys) take for granted the arm strength required to operate the slide, but there are some of the fairer gender who have problems with it. As well as loading magazines, clearing jams, and all the things involved with a semi-automatic handgun. For some folks a Ruger SP101, or a S&W K-frame is a much better choice. Heck, I carry a .357 around with me a lot and there's no way I feel undergunned!