Happy with just one firearm???

Over the years my collection has grown and shrank depending on my intrest at the time. Sell this to buy that and so on.

This got me thinking could I be happy with just one firearm. Basically any good quality firearm will do the job, 9mm, .357, 40 cal or 45acp. Most evryone has a favorite in their collection anyway.

If you only had one you would know that firearm in and out, and most likely become a very skilled marksman with your one gun. Just from the fact that it would be the only gun you pratice with.

You could sell your safes, only buy one kind of ammo. Fear of robbery would drop, no need for fire protection if you had just one. If something did happen, you could just buy one more.

All your gun junk would shrink down to just one box, instead of an entire room. (which would thrill the wife).

No need to go to gunshops or gunshows. You already have a gun.

I spend way more time watching TV than I do shooting. And I only have 3 televisions, and two of them suck!!!

Edited by The One
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that there are many, many thousands of people in this country that are in this or a very close to it situation. Many of the older (1940s birthday) folks I know have 1-2 guns, often a revolver and maybe one rifle or shotgun, usually low tech stuff like a double barrel or bolt action etc.

Many of the younger folks I know do the same with a modern handgun, usually just a typical 9mm like a glock.

All these folks want is to defend their home, many do not have a HCP, do not hunt, going out to shoot is at most a once, maybe twice a year thing. They have little to no interest in guns apart from having one for defense, and often treat it as a good luck charm more than a weapon: simply having it makes them feel safer.

You probably will not see a lot of this type of person here in a gun forum, at most they may pass thru the site to read from a google redirect or something, however I would be willing to bet the 1-2 gun households outnumber the "gun nut" community by more than 10 to 1.

I could see having 1 or 2 if not interested in shooting, but I will never understand not having at least a little practice and familiarity.

Guest drv2fst

I have struggled with this for years. Not one actual gun but one style, one caliber, one brand, in small medium, and large sizes. I have tried it in Glock, XDM, and 1911. I have tried with 9mm, 40, and 45. All failed to convince me to give up all other brands and styles. Here are some of my thoughts on several on the market. I don't ask or expect that anyone agrees with my opinions of these guns. I do not care to debate this gun vs that one. I just mention these issues in relation to the OP's "just one gun" premise.

I like 1911's because they shoot well, are thin and easy to conceal. I love the triggers and the angle. The thumb and grip safeties are comforting. Weight and capacity are problem areas. Another problem area is getting reliability out of the smaller sizes. Maintenance requirements are expressed in hundreds of rounds instead of tens of thousands of rounds.

I like Glocks because they are light, reliable (before Gen 4), and capacity is great. Their "compact" and "subcompact" models are not really much better to conceal than their full sized frames. They are all just so bulky. They shoot OK but not as well as 1911's or HK's or XDM's. Great or their intended purpose, defense, but not as much fun at the range. Maintenance, what maintenance? Lack of external safeties is a bit of a concern.

XDM's shot great and come in all sizes and caliber's. How did someone manage to make a gun bulkier and less concealable than Glock? They are bigger than their corresponding Glocks and hold less capacity if you compare actual size guns.

HK45's shoot like a dream, have external safeties, are reliable as can be. Best even Glocks on low maintenance. They are also bulky, heavy, and expensive. HK keeps changing their models significantly each time. The best HK today does not feel the same in your hand as the best HK from the previous generation. Their "night sights" are just an insult to their customers.

Kahr's are the most concealable of all. They range from pocket gun (real pocket gun not pocket brick like a Glock) to full size. They shoot very well once you get used to them. They are pretty reliable once you break them in. They don't have the capacity of Glocks but are easier to carry. Maintenance is OK but not that of a Glock or HK. Their reliability is just probably good enough to carry but they leave me with that little bit of doubt. Will it work when I need it? is 97% sure good enough?

All in all, I'd love to get down to just one brand and style and caliber of gun. I just can't seem to make it happen.

Sorry...no can do!

I'm a gun fanatic...

I have different weapons, for different reasons.

I can see your logic of having only one weapon, and becoming truly skilled in it's use.

But one gun just won't do every job that I require.

My carry weapon is a .40 cal Glock 22...I own two of them. (redundancy)

I figure if one gets stolen or if I am ever involved in a self defense shooting, and my weapon is temporarily confiscated by the authorities, I'm going to want a backup.

I'm also a big S&W revolver fan...(pre-lock, thank you very much)!

I enjoy my 2 1/2" 686, and picked up a Lady Smith for the wife.

I'm currently looking for a reasonably priced S&W 617 in .22LR...

But haven't yet found a pre-lock model for under $750 bucks!

I have several other weapons...but you get the point.

Guns to me, are like Lays potato chips...you can't eat just one.

Besides...quality firearms tend to go up in value.

There's not many things in this world that actually do that, on a consistent basis...like my guns have.

Zulu Cowboy

Edited by Zulu Cowboy

I can understand the wisdom you put forth, but I like having several. I don't have a large collection - only 6 guns right now - but I like shooting all of them. What I will say though is that you better know your carry gun fairly well even if you don't know your others that well.

I have used this logic in my pistol collection. I have had Ruger and H&K semi autos. After owning a couple Glocks I just went all Glock for semi autos. My 22 & 35 mags are interchangeable with my 27. My 34 feels much like my carry gun and is tons of fun at the range. I'm in the process of selling my only AK to further my AR collection. I know it's not just one, but it simplifies life when all my mags and accessories fit all my combat rifles.

I'm pretty close on this one myself. I sold a 80% of my collection just because it was a nuisance to me to reload for it and remember the in's and out's of each one. I have a couple AR's, all but one being a back up and XD handguns. I still have one bolt action 308 for long distance, but I can't, in both skill and lack of facility, shoot long distance so I am considering parting with it too. Leaving to just AR's, XD's and good pump 12g. I really don't wanna sell my last large caliber rifle, but discussions like these make me want to ax it and reinvest the $$$ in what I actually enjoy shooting.

I did a blog about this a while back. I believe folks are stretched too thin by the love of this hobby. A jack of many calibers will never equal a master of one. One guy who studies the art of his AR will always beat out a guy who shoots an AK this week, a Cetme the next, Garand, then a M1A, so on and so forth.

Guest SUNTZU

Two is one and one is none. Know how to run your pistol and rifle like a house on fire.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Guest rebeldrummer

I can understand both sides of the argument, and depending on the day! Agree with either!! Ha ha ha...

There are times I would love to buy one because ,"Man that looks sweet! I bet it's a blast (no punn intended) to shoot"

or, "check it out, isn't that what they used in __(add movie/tv title here)____"

Then there are days like yesterday, while at a family members house, seeing his MASSIVE gun collection for the first time that my mind changes. And here is why. When asked, about SEVERAL, of his firearms how they shoot....he couldn't remember or had not shot them yet! Some of which he has had for over a year!! That's a lot of money invested in the weapon, the ammo and the accessories for what? At least for what until they finally get shot? But then, when will that happen again?

I would rather have turned that money into range trips....ammo....accessories....something else that will actually get used?

My current philosophy might be a little weird to some. But here it is,

I am interested in firearms iconic in the history of firearms.

Examples: pistols..the old school cowboy revolver, the 1911, German Luger...ones that are memorable

Rifles: M1 Garand, M1A1, AR, AK, K98....iconic, historical firearms.

I also like my Glock. I have owned the 23 and currently own the 27. I was trained on the 23 and carried it as soon as I turned 21 until just this year. Being in the private security field, I wanted something reliable and easy to operate and maintain. The G23 was for me. I trust it and my G27 with my life. Nit to say there aren't just as good, or better pistols out there. It's all personal preference.

I am going to par down a little, down to one of each type. Pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, and plinking pistol and rifle. I am going to try to trade for or buy guns that have the cheapest rounds so I can bulk up on ammo and get in some good training on a few guns. I think spending the money on classes and training is more important than having selection.

Guest mrkirker

rebeldrum, I understand your drift, however there IS a certain joy in simply owning a firearm. I admire them on rainy afternoons, or when it's too winterlike outside to shoot. And yes, there's a few that I (or anyone else) haven't fired. Doesn't mean that they aren't enjoyed just the same. Just ask any serious knife collector. . . . . .

Guest rebeldrummer
rebeldrum, I understand your drift, however there IS a certain joy in simply owning a firearm. I admire them on rainy afternoons, or when it's too winterlike outside to shoot. And yes, there's a few that I (or anyone else) haven't fired. Doesn't mean that they aren't enjoyed just the same. Just ask any serious knife collector. . . . . .

Like I said, I can understand all sides. Thats why i believe that there is no wrong answer, or an answer period. It's all personal preference and has a lot to do with where each person is in their life at the moment. If I were a young buck, with no money to blow, I would prob get the one handgun to carry....enough ammo to practice and become proficient with. Maybe a shotty n a rifle for hunting.

If I were someone who had money to blow, I can't say I wouldn't blow it on as many guns and as much ammo as possible!?

Both extremes work. Somewhere in the middle works. I just love me some guns!! Ha ha ha ha

Guest SUNTZU
I am going to par down a little, down to one of each type. Pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, and plinking pistol and rifle. I am going to try to trade for or buy guns that have the cheapest rounds so I can bulk up on ammo and get in some good training on a few guns. I think spending the money on classes and training is more important than having selection.

I completely agree with your last sentence.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I like guns. I don't own them to shoot people with. I just like them. I have guns that were gifts, guns that were heired, guns that wree custom made just for me, guns that I like, guns I don't really like, etc. Just as my wife doesn't think one pair of shoes is enough, I don't think that one gun is enough. Your mileage may vary.

As far as that happy part goes, I'd be just as happy with no guns. Stuff doesn't equate to happiness. Some people learn this early, some late, some never do.

Edited by gregintenn
Guest GunTroll

I often wonder about my firearms that get no use from me. I wonder if someone else would put it to work and get great joy out of it. Or if a firearms that I own would like to be owned by someone else........

Guess I'll never know because I don't sell guns. I collect them! One is never enough in times like this! When the SHTF I'll grab the three work horses and get on with it. Till then, I fine great beauty in firearms of yesterday and of course the custom firearms that I make or others have made so I collect/make them when the budget allows.

Guest GunTroll
When I find the one firearm I need, I'll add it to the others.

Best statement yet. Short and sweet! Of course I could have said ^^^THIS^^^ but that sounds dumb.

I like guns. I don't own them to shoot people with. I just like them. I have guns that were gifts, guns that were heired, guns that wree custom made just for me, guns that I like, guns I don't really like, etc. Just as my wife doesn't think one pair of shoes is enough, I don't think that one gun is enough. Your mileage may vary.

As far as that happy part goes, I'd be just as happy with no guns. Stuff doesn't equate to happiness. Some people learn this early, some late, some never do.

So much wisdom here. I appreciate the appeal of collecting, but its just not for me right now. Maybe someday... for now I'll be looking for training periodically and all my guns have a defensive purpose.