Reloading The 410

So now my granddaughter Rhinestone Rachel, is now shooting Cowboy twice a month with her two older cousins and me. She is shooting a 410 double coach gun for the shotgun part of the stages. But 410 shells are expensive, twice what we pay for 12 gauge shells. So I’m thinking about trying to reload them. I don’t want to spend $200 on a loader, and Lee doesn’t make the Load All II in 410.

If she sticks to the same gun my experience is that I wont have to resize the shells. I can reprime easy enough with what looks like a large pistol or rifle primer.

Now I’m looking for a way to close and crimp the shell. Any ideas?

Cherokee Slim

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slim:______________

Close 'em by hand, hot glue 'em in, and clamp till they are set. I wouldn't worry about resizing 'em either. Ya might want to try some of the magtech brass 410 by 2 1/2 inch shells. They prime with a large pistol primer; the "real" 410s use a 209 primer (...i think...). We used some of the 12 ga magtechs in my son's side hammer remington with black powder. We just glued the overshot wad in with elmers glue or hot glue.

Hope this helps.

leroy

I found a .410 MEC 600 Jr on Ebay for less than $90. Once adjusted for the length of shell, reloads are quick and easy. I will warn you that the shot tube is very small on a .410 press and I couldn't get any shot larger than #8 to drop reliably.

• 1 month later...

I've got one of the Lee "clone" hand loaders, the MRC Loader. I'm wanting to load 2 1/2" shells, but it is for 3" shells. Has anyone been able to make this work on these hand loaders? I can do most all of the operations but the final crimp. The tube is just too long for that part of the reloading sequence. Any suggestions, short of buying another re-loader? Thanks.

I have loaded a bunch of 410's on a MEC. They are just a pain in a butt. You have to use real small shot. they use 209 primers. It has been a while since I loaded some but it seems like the hulls wanted to get stuck on the stem when seating the wads.

Update... I loaded 10 using the MRC hand loader, and they came out just fine. I had to put an extra step between the start crimp and the final crimp. I used the end of the prime tool, which is wider than the ram rod used for the final crimp, and hand manipulated the folds of the crimp further closed. The final crimp went well, and they shot well. I only shot 5 of them at 10" paper plates, and they shot good. Some of the crimps were a little open in the center, and smaller shot just might fall out. But, I was loading #6 lead shot, and they did fine. I'll attach a pic of the crimps, if I can figure out hoe to post pics. May buy a new MEC tomorrow from Grady Jones' Gun Shop in the B'oro. I believe $180 out the door, is reasonable, and you don't have to wait for UPS!

I have loaded a bunch of 410's on a MEC. They are just a pain in a butt. You have to use real small shot. they use 209 primers. It has been a while since I loaded some but it seems like the hulls wanted to get stuck on the stem when seating the wads.

I've heard that the shot tend to "bridge" in the down drop tube on larger size shot. I have loaded on my MEC 600 Jr. 20 gauge, and my MEC 650 12 gauge, and am probably buying a MEC 600 Jr. in .410 tomorrow. So I'll probably know how that works by tomorrow night. It's got to be better, and faster, than hand loading them with shot and powder dippers... weighing each and every load of powder and shot!