New carrying... today at home depot

Guest mbushell

Guest mbushell

I've had my permit a few days. I posted another thread a couple days ago talking about my carry anxiety. I own several pistolas. None are small guns. I have big hands, but im 130lbs soaking wet. So, the gun shows no matter what. I hate the way compact models feel...it just me. I look like a heroin addicted/carpenter/ painter version of Clint Eastwood while lm working I would suppose. I havnt cut my winter hair yet either. I know I will need to get that done now. Appearance is everything. My helper and I were at home depot today, and my shirt kept riding up as I was getting stuff off the shelves. I had been there 10 mins or so, and noticed a couple employees following me. Then one police officer, then another. The officers undoubtedly realized I was carring legally, since they did nothing but walk by, say hello, politely and nod. No one asked me for ID of any sort. I paid for my $700 worth of finishing supplies and left without incident. My helper and I got a good laugh, and I got a bit of a uh oh...I hope Im doing everything right rush.

It was encouraging to see that guns are becoming more common and accepted, and that I wasn't judged based upon appearance alone.

My pro- salesperson is Kathy, she so far has been the only person to comment on my gun, and the comment was..."Nice 45 that should do the trick huh" . Her husband is an officer. I've had the opportunity to meet him, and he as well as her are very pro public guns.

Im so surprised that I have not gotten more bad looks and comments than I have. 2 days carrying and not even one.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker
...Im so surprised that I have not gotten more bad looks and comments than I have. 2 days carrying and not even one.

I've been carrying 13 years and your trip to Home Depot garnered you more attention than I've gotten in all my years:shrug:

I guess that's ok.

I've been carrying 13 years and your trip to Home Depot garnered you more attention than I've gotten in all my years:shrug:

I guess that's ok.

Much prefer being gray myself.

Actually, white starting to take over the gray, now, nyuk nyuk.

- OS

I can sympathize with you on the lack of body mass to conceal your weapon. I'm 5'10", 160Lb. When I try to conceal carry the lump looks like a snake that swallow a rabbit. I can get away with a pocket gun in loose fitting pants.

Much prefer being gray myself.

Actually, white starting to take over the gray, now, nyuk nyuk.

- OS

I've seen your grey and it isn't any worse than mine LOL! Also, I've had nothing but good experiences. The other night I stopped at Walmart to pick up some .380 rounds while carrying. An on duty Officer was also there to pick up some rounds. We had a great conversation and I met a new friend. We're going flying in a few days.

I've seen your grey and it isn't any worse than mine LOL! Also, I've had nothing but good experiences. The other night I stopped at Walmart to pick up some .380 rounds while carrying. An on duty Officer was also there to pick up some rounds. We had a great conversation and I met a new friend. We're going flying in a few days.

Sounds like I need to meet you at Wal Mart. :shrug:

Ok, When do you wanna go fly?

I think I need to meet you and get you to take me flying sometime just so I can say I was armed in an airplane at at least once in my life.

Armed at at 10k in case of Snakes.

Guest friesepferd

sounds like you still may need to find the right gun-holster combo.

There are certainly handguns out there that can be concealed no problem that have large grips on them. it makes it harder, but its very possible.

if need be you can always try a different style of holster, such as the wilderness safepacker.

I use it all the time and nobody ever has any idea what it is.. and you can carry a pretty big gun in even the smaller sized ones.

a high quality IWB that really sucks it into your body well certainly help though.

what position are you carrying? which gun, and which holster?

if you dont mind posting pics here im sure we could help ya out with suggestions on how to conceal it better.

• Admin Team

Sounds like you need a better holster. There are some great ones out there. I'm 6'0" and 145, and yet I'm concealing a Kimber Warrior today under a t-shirt. I have been out amongst the unwashed masses a lot today, as every day, and can't ever recall being made.

Remember, when you carry, you represent all of us.

Guest mbushell

I have two carry guns. One is a pt845 (full size xd compareable) the other is a pt99 (baretta 92 copy). I dont have cheap holsters either. Desantis black leather, RH fitted for the guns (I have one for each). I wear them FBI cant,(rides kinda high tilted forward) at the small of my back. A shirt covers them fine. Im just new at this, and forget to check that my shirt is down. Every time I bend down or reach up It rides up and sits on the gun grip. I really dont care if any one sees it. I figure anyone that has a problem with it most likely has a reason they are worried about it. They can see plain and simple "This dog will bite ya back"

I'm looking at getting a Para Ordanance "warthog" double stack .45 1911. Its compact but not too compact. 10+1 should be plenty of rounds. Does anyone want to lend me $1000 for a while?

conceal carry is also about comfort. Do what is comfortable for you. You will notice you are carrying more than most people will. Get over the "everybody knows I'm carrying" mentality. Its just you, when you get out of your car, pull your shirt down, when you reach up to grab something, pull your shirt down. Carrying a pistol should and will eventually change the way you think about how you do things. IE: watching out for people who come up behind you in the check out line, usually I turn to the side so I can see who's in front of me as well as who's behind me. Watch for people who like to get "too close", change your way of thinking. Remember, you are not carrying for them, you are carrying for you. You are concealing for them! Be aware and be alert. An ounce of caution goes a long way. Carry safe grasshopper........make us proud.

Guest mbushell
conceal carry is also about comfort. Do what is comfortable for you. You will notice you are carrying more than most people will. Get over the "everybody knows I'm carrying" mentality. Its just you, when you get out of your car, pull your shirt down, when you reach up to grab something, pull your shirt down. Carrying a pistol should and will eventually change the way you think about how you do things. IE: watching out for people who come up behind you in the check out line, usually I turn to the side so I can see who's in front of me as well as who's behind me. Watch for people who like to get "too close", change your way of thinking. Remember, you are not carrying for them, you are carrying for you. You are concealing for them! Be aware and be alert. An ounce of caution goes a long way. Carry safe grasshopper........make us proud.

Thanks dad

Guest friesepferd

if you want to not have to worry about your shirt riding up, etc., try carrying somewhere other than small of the back.

in my opinion that is the worst place for not concealing. Most people I know carry best at 4 o clock, im best at just before 3.

and an expensive holster isnt always the same as a "good" holster. your gun should suck in as close to your body as possible.

I carry mine on the side/front of my hip. The gun partially covers the front pants pocket. It rarely sneaks out unless I want it to. Even when I have to bend the shirt comes back down over the gun once I stand up.

The holster I use is one I made to fit my carry gun as well as me and my carry style. It works very well with another member here who tried it and said it compared to a IWB holster as far as how tight it sucks up to the body. So finding a holster that works for you is what you probably need to do and jsut as someone said, expensive doesn't mean good.

I carry full size guns, a 1911 as we as a Taurus 24/7 with a 5.25" barrel. And to most people, even when I do wear a T-shirt, I am unarmed.

Dolomite

Guest Plainsman
Sounds like you need a better holster. There are some great ones out there. I'm 6'0" and 145, and yet I'm concealing a Kimber Warrior today under a t-shirt. I have been out amongst the unwashed masses a lot today, as every day, and can't ever recall being made.

Remember, when you carry, you represent all of us.

What is your holster of choice to use while carrying your Kimber?

Subcompact is a marketing term that means the model in question comes in more than one size. There are some huge subcompacts and some tiny ones... there is, out there, a gun that will fit your hands without being huge, though it may not be a 45 -- most 45s are big even the "compact" ones. If being made concerns you, between holsters, clothing style, and gun designs, there is a package that will work for you to keep it hidden. If you are not concerned, its a good way to meet other gun people =)

If you want to hide it better, I would suggest spending the next month looking at holsters and small changes to your clothing (perhaps longer shirts? A different holster? A fanny pack or other item to obscure the gun?) first, or use this as an excuse to hit a gun show to look at alternatives. While 45s are mostly huge, there are a lot of 40s out there with double stack mags (makes a large, wide grip) in smaller frames that may fit your hands reasonably well. The single stack guns probably have too narrow a grip. You can also put a wrapper on the grips, that little extra width can make a big difference!

I'm 6'4 and 175. I find that I can not in any way conceal a double-stack and hide the corresponding bulge. About 4:30 is the best position with my XDsc in a CompTac Minotaur. I can make my Ruger LCP all but disappear even in a cheap High Noon holster. My Kahr PM9 in a Remora holster is only slightly more noticable. The LCP and PM-9 are both single-stack. I know I give up round count, but they are infinitley more concealable and more comfortable.

Guest friesepferd
I'm 6'4 and 175. I find that I can not in any way conceal a double-stack and hide the corresponding bulge. About 4:30 is the best position with my XDsc in a CompTac Minotaur. I can make my Ruger LCP all but disappear even in a cheap High Noon holster. My Kahr PM9 in a Remora holster is only slightly more noticable. The LCP and PM-9 are both single-stack. I know I give up round count, but they are infinitley more concealable and more comfortable.

really? Im a scrawy 115lb female and I found that I can conceal a double-stack.

I really do think it is finding just the right holster and position and clothing though.

When starting out carrying, I bought a small 9mm 1911, and was able to conceal it... with some work. Back then I was thinking about getting the XD subcompact but found there was no way in heck I would conceal that.

Now a few years later, I have swapped my 1911 carry gun out for the XDm 3.8" compact, which is even bigger, and I find I can carry it just fine.

I'll need to get around to taking some pictures one of these days. Its all about finding that 'sweet spot', which is different for everyone.