Process Serving

Guest clownsdd

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if there are additional permits required for carrying while serving papers?

Are you referring to civil papers, ie: divorce papers, etc. Who do you work for? An

attorney? Question is a bit broad.

Guest FHTMcrt
Anyone know if there are additional permits required for carrying while serving papers?

I act as a Process Server in rural areas of West Tennessee for various law firms. I do this as a private citizen with a TN HCP. I know of no other permits needed.

This poses some very interesting questions in my mind.

Since process serving by it's nature is a lot of times a confrontational process, and you are armed while you are doing it, does that make you more liable than if you weren't?

Would this make you some kind of sub-category of an armed private security guard?

Would you be considered to be "going armed" if there is a confrontation, permit or not since "you" initiated the contact by serving papers?

I really have no idea since it has never come up before.

....I really have no idea since it has never come up before.

All interesting questions, and I've never considered it either.

On tangential note, wonder if the HCP is sufficient for being a private investigator in TN?

I understand you need to be licensed, but state site says nothing about gun carry at:

Private Investigation and Polygraph Commission - Private Investigator Requirements

- OS

Since process serving by it's nature is a lot of times a confrontational process, and you are armed while you are doing it, does that make you more liable than if you weren't?

Would this make you some kind of sub-category of an armed private security guard?

Would you be considered to be "going armed" if there is a confrontation, permit or not since "you" initiated the contact by serving papers?

I guese these are things to consider...but I can't help but to wonder. But.......

Why just because you are armed and prepared would you be more liable if a Self-Defense situation arose?

There is already such a thing as an Armed Private Security Guard that requires a license from the state...this isn't that.

If you are carrying a firearm you are "going armed" having a HCP is a defense to that.

Sometimes it seems we even buy into the sheeple's idea that because we are armed we are looking for trouble, since some think we must walk around on eggshells.

As Fallguy has already said, I don't see how you could be charged with going armed... but also our stand your ground law would protect you as well... You're allowed to defend yourself anywhere you're legally allowed to be, doing things you're legally allowed to do.

It seems to me that process serving is clearly a legal activity and unless you're criminally trespassing, you're doing it somewhere you're legally allowed to be.

Seems you therefore are allowed to defend yourself if you're threatened with death or serious bodily harm. but IANAL, I'm sure from a civil liability stand point all bets are off :chill:

Also, since a process server can't be a party to the suit, if somebody becomes violent with the process server, an independent third party, if I'm the on the jury I'm going to side with the process server, because he's just doing his job, and would have no reason to inflame the situation.