FL set to outlaw doctors asking if patients own firearms

My reaction to this was a big WTF. This is a no-brainer to me and to a lot of gun-owning parents. The original parent that said none-ya to the child's doctor was right in their stance. It's not any pediatricians business if a parent owns a firearm or an armory. I know some parents aren't responsible with firearms but most are. Goes without saying that the irresponsible ones should know better. Either way, it's not any MD's or pediatric doctor's business.

Florida Bill Would Prohibit Doctors From Asking Patients About Their Guns - FoxNews.com

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The AMA is a liberal orginazation.

It is none of the doctors business if you own a firearm.

The government has no business asking.

Good for them.

This is America. I am sick and tired of the government intruding

on my private business. This crap has got to stop.

I thought it a bit odd that the doctors asked me when my kids were born. My answer was ... "Duh, yeah. Don't you?" :)

From the article...

Critics of the bill, however, claim that doctors need to ask patients about guns to ensure their safety and to make sure they remain out of the reach of children. "The [bill], if enacted, would limit pediatricians’ capacity to do what they do best -- compassionately and effectively care for children," read a March 30 statement released by The American Academy of Pediatrics. "Because unintentional injuries continue to be the leading cause of death in children older than 1 year, pediatricians play a key role in injury prevention by providing anticipatory guidance to parents during office visits to help minimize the risk of injury in the child’s everyday environment."

Because a doctor merely asking a question clearly ensures the parent locks them up and remains vigilant about safety. :D

Because a doctor merely asking a question clearly ensures the parent locks them up and remains vigilant about safety. :D

That's because many doctors believe that they are gods due to people just blindly trusting them no matter what. So if they remind people to lock up their guns, then those people will automatically do that...

About three years ago, when I had to confirm my information for my PCP at the first of the year, one of the questions on the form was, sure enough, "Do you keep firearms in your home?". When the receptionist saw that I left it blank, she mentioned it to me, and I told her it was no one's business. She just smiled and said, "I agree".

The question has never appeared on the form since.

But is is for the children :( BEWARE

It's not any pediatricians business if a parent owns a firearm or an armory. I know some parents aren't responsible with firearms but most are. Goes without saying that the irresponsible ones should know better. Either way, it's not any MD's or pediatric doctor's business.

[/url]

I am glad, I decided if I saw that question I was going to put N/A on it. No lying, not answering, and NOT answering yes or not. Just not ignoring the question. Just like a Job app.

EDIT, had to correct my last 2 lines.

Edited by vontar

I like the form that someone posted in another thread on this topic asking the Doctors to sign off that they have had training, are qualified to dispense gun safety information, and accept liability for any such information. :(

The AMA is a liberal orginazation.

It is none of the doctors business if you own a firearm.

The government has no business asking.

Good for them.

This is America. I am sick and tired of the government intruding

on my private business. This crap has got to stop.

The government is making a law stating that a business owner can not ask certain questions. So are you agreeing with the government or the private citizens making a decision to not treat a certain subset of hte population?

This movement has a number of doctors upset as well, not just the patients, when they are forced to comply with policy handed down from on-high. Its not always the DR's fault. I do not mind my DR knowing, but I trust him with my life already, and he can decide if I need to be checked for lead exposure or something. It really boils down to trust, and unfortunately a lot of docs are not to be trusted, takes forever to find good ones these days. To his credit, he has not asked, but I would tell him if he did. I would not if it were a question on a form, or something from a nurse, etc, but if the actual man asked me person to person, yea I would talk about it.

Both sides of this thing stink legally. On the one hand, govt is telling your DR what you can and cannot discuss. On the other hand, the DR really does not need to know most of the time, unless you do have lead exposure or shot yourself or are mentally unstable or a few other circumstances where the subject could matter to your well being.

Edited by Jonnin
But is is for the children :( BEWARE

I am glad, I decided if I saw that question I was going to put N/A on it. No lying, not answering, and answering yes or not.

lol The children is one of the reasons why I'm armed in the first place. :D

My first reaction truly was WTF but after I got past that my smartass nature kicked in with the thought of writing "Where to begin...". Honestly, N/A seems like a good answer to me. Of course, like many other parents, I'm really picky about selecting a PCP for my kids in the first place.

Edited by jgm219
correction
I like the form that someone posted in another thread on this topic asking the Doctors to sign off that they have had training, are qualified to dispense gun safety information, and accept liability for any such information. :(

I have got to see this form! :D

That's because many doctors believe that they are gods due to people just blindly trusting them no matter what. So if they remind people to lock up their guns, then those people will automatically do that...

It reminds me of my kids' pediatrician years ago asking if we had carseats. Properly installed carseats for kids and securing your firearms around said kids should be a given but...

I digress. My son who's about to turn 12 has an M91/30 that I got him last Christmas. As for ammo... well, he has to fill out the proper forms first. :(

This movement has a number of doctors upset as well, not just the patients, when they are forced to comply with policy handed down from on-high. Its not always the DR's fault. I do not mind my DR knowing, but I trust him with my life already, and he can decide if I need to be checked for lead exposure or something. It really boils down to trust, and unfortunately a lot of docs are not to be trusted, takes forever to find good ones these days. To his credit, he has not asked, but I would tell him if he did. I would not if it were a question on a form, or something from a nurse, etc, but if the actual man asked me person to person, yea I would talk about it.

Both sides of this thing stink legally. On the one hand, govt is telling your DR what you can and cannot discuss. On the other hand, the DR really does not need to know most of the time, unless you do have lead exposure or shot yourself or are mentally unstable or a few other circumstances where the subject could matter to your well being.

That's the trick for anyone, finding a good doctor. You're right about that trust thing with them too. My doc is retired full bird Air Force and he's got firearms I'd love to have so it's moot for me on if he knows or not. Some people aren't as fortunate as I am though. Legally it does stink. Good point.

lol The children is one of the reasons why I'm armed in the first place. :rofl:

My first reaction truly was WTF but after I got past that my smartass nature kicked in with the thought of writing "Where to begin...". Honestly, N/A seems like a good answer to me. Of course, like many other parents, I'm really picky about selecting a PCP for my kids in the first place.

I noticed a mistake in my post from what I intended and edited to make it more clear. since you quoted me, thought you meant want to be aware of my edit.

Guest friesepferd

I guess I am still just confused about this hole thing.

I actually think doctors have every right to ask you if you own a gun, the same way that I have a right to ask you....

It would certainly be a problem if you were required to answer.. but your not. you have the right to keep your mouth shut.

personally, I dont like most laws that limit any of our rights... including these kind

I guess I am still just confused about this hole thing.

I actually think doctors have every right to ask you if you own a gun, the same way that I have a right to ask you....

It would certainly be a problem if you were required to answer.. but your not. you have the right to keep your mouth shut.

personally, I dont like most laws that limit any of our rights... including these kind

Same here. I don't like that some doctors may ask that question. It's just none of their business unless they want to follow with a question about going hunting or something.

But I damn sure don't like a law limiting the 1st amendment.

Seems a simpler way around this is to answer "noneya". But what do I know :)

My reaction to this was a big WTF. This is a no-brainer to me and to a lot of gun-owning parents. The original parent that said none-ya to the child's doctor was right in their stance. It's not any pediatricians business if a parent owns a firearm or an armory. I know some parents aren't responsible with firearms but most are. Goes without saying that the irresponsible ones should know better. Either way, it's not any MD's or pediatric doctor's business.

Florida Bill Would Prohibit Doctors From Asking Patients About Their Guns - FoxNews.com

Good for Florida! This is no surprise the American Academy of Pediatrics is known to be Anti-Gun. They have donated to many organizations such as Mayor Michael Bloomberg's (Mayors against Illegal Guns).

Guest friesepferd
Same here. I don't like that some doctors may ask that question. It's just none of their business unless they want to follow with a question about going hunting or something.

But I damn sure don't like a law limiting the 1st amendment.

Seems a simpler way around this is to answer "noneya". But what do I know :shrug:

exactly. Again, if they are MAKING people answer, thats an entirly different issue.