Revolver Question?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was considering a 9mm I would buy a 38 special capable of +P or even a 357 magnum. Nothing wrong with a 9mm but in a revolver 38 special or 357 magnum is easier and probably cheaper to find. It will be about the same costs to shoot and 38 special seems to be one of those calibers that is always available, more so than 9mm.

Finding a decent 357 magnum revolver in the $450 range should be easy.

Just so you know, if you get a revolver chambered in 357 magnum you can also shoot the cheaper 38 special or 38 special +P out of it.

Personally I would forget about getting a 9mm revolver. 9mm is better suited in a auto pistol.

Dolomite

thanks for the info which brand of revolver should i look into Ruger, S&W or TAurus herd they are all pretty good im wanting the best gun for the best price

What are you going to be using it for?

If it will be a carry gun size matters. If it is going to be a drawer or a range gun it doesn't.

Rugers are built like tanks but are heavy. S&W and Colt have decent offerings as does Taurus.

It will come down to what you like because if you don't like it you won't use it.

Dolomite

Smith & Wesson Model 19 (blue) and Model 66 (stainless) are the classic .357 revolvers. A 6 inch barrel may be more difficult to find than 4 inch. If you buy one, you'll love it. If you sell it, you'll always regret it.

Having had a couple of dozen revolvers and having worked on many myself I second the notion that you find a 4" S&W Mdl 19 of the stainless version the 66, both K-framed sized S&Ws. The K-frame S&W has a great balance and can be made to run like a sewing machine if it doesn't already. If you have really big hands look around for a N-Frame S&W Mdl 28 Highway Patrolman.

Sometimes gunshops will get in some used .38 S&W or Rugers as turn-ins from security companies and these are generally in good condition. Rugers are great revolvers and very robust (and somewhat heavy) but you probably won't wear one out. Although I have owned several reliable Taurus revolvers I won't own one any longer.

Shooting .357 magnums routinely in a K-frame S&W can actually wear that revolver out, but I was never able to afford to shoot that much .357. You may want to look at getting a L-frame S&W, the 686 or its predecessor the blued 586. I have a friend who has killed quite a few deer with his 6" barrelled 686.

Having had a couple of dozen revolvers and having worked on many myself I second the notion that you find a 4" S&W Mdl 19 of the stainless version the 66, both K-framed sized S&Ws. The K-frame S&W has a great balance and can be made to run like a sewing machine if it doesn't already. If you have really big hands look around for a N-Frame S&W Mdl 28 Highway Patrolman.

Sometimes gunshops will get in some used .38 S&W or Rugers as turn-ins from security companies and these are generally in good condition. Rugers are great revolvers and very robust (and somewhat heavy) but you probably won't wear one out. Although I have owned several reliable Taurus revolvers I won't own one any longer.

Shooting .357 magnums routinely in a K-frame S&W can actually wear that revolver out, but I was never able to afford to shoot that much .357. You may want to look at getting a L-frame S&W, the 686 or its predecessor the blued 586. I have a friend who has killed quite a few deer with his 6" barrelled 686.

Appreciate the info thanks!!!

Its going to be hard to beat a 9mm/38/357 combo gun such as ruger makes, if you want to shoot it cheaply. However you can buy moon clips to shoot 9mm in any 357 or 38 if you find a different brand that you like -- the ruger ones just have a second cylinder that you swap out (easily done) so you do not need the clips (the clips hold the rimless shells in the cylinder; revolver ammo has rims that hold it in place and rimless ammo like 9mm would fall thru without these).

While the 9mm is fun, be sure to shoot up a box of 357 once in a while to get the true revolver experience.

Another option is a 22 magnum revolver which can shoot 22 short, long rifle, or magnums.

If you want a large gun, you might look at a taurus model 66 which is a 7 shot 357 with a large grip and 6 inch barrel.

Taurus Model 66 Revolver « Gunner’s Journal

The ruger would be a single action, most likely (not 100% sure) if you look at those just google ruger blackhawk 9mm and you should find it.

Might also look at the rossi R97206.

Guest bkelm18

I've had 3 Taurus revolvers. My last one had a potentially dangerous timing issue that Taurus failed to fix after being sent back to the factory twice. Personally, that soured my taste for Taurus. If you've got the money, and it appears you do, spend it to get a quality gun (S&W, Ruger, etc.). Just my opinion.

After many, many years as a revolver fan/shooter, and after owning most everything out there numerous times, I can tell you there are 2 revolvers that are unbeatable for value and performance in your price range. The SW 686 and the Ruger GP100 are by far the best in this field IMHO. I love the K frame SW's also but they cannot take a steady diet of heavy loads, especially 125 grainers. That is why SW developed the the L frame 686 series. The N frames are great but they are very large and usually cost more. As stated you can find a good Model 28 in that price range and they are my third choice. But there is nothing it can do that the other two cannot. The Ruger is actually stronger than the SW (by a small margin) and with a Wolf spring kit the trigger can be made a little better but it will never match the SW. So it you want to make hot hot loads and shoot a lot of them I always recommend the Ruger, If you want to shoot lots of standard magnums and 38's the 686 or M28, lots of 38's and just some occasional magnums, the M19/M66. I also agree to stay away from Taurus as a primary revolver. I have had good ones and bad ones but there is really no comparison to the Rugers or SW's in the same price range. I have had some 686's and M28's with timing issues also but they are pretty easy to have fixed. I have never had a Ruger with a timing issue.

I am looking to get a nice revolver for around the 450$ range would like to have one that i can shoot pretty cheap but has decent power what should i look for? i heard they make a 9mm revolver?

In you price range the Ruger GP100 is going to be hard to beat.

Guest tbone

+1 the GP100 and the S&W 686. These are your best options in your price range. I would also suggest looking online at sites such as Gunbroker. You can't beat the variety. I would forget about the 9mm thing entirely. I don't think that you would want to be fussing with moon clips just to be able to shoot.

S&W 586/686 or it's larger brother, a model 28 Highway Patrolman can be found in good used condition for around $450. You can pay more for something else, but you won't get a better gun. If you want to shoot an auto cartridge in a revolver, get one in 45, such as a model 25 Smith. Moon clips for the are more readily available, as is 45 Autorim cartridges.