First LE interaction since carrying...

Guest rebeldrummer

Guest rebeldrummer

To make a long story short.

Went into grocery store with no dent in my car

Came out of grocery store with a dent in my car....

I have heard to report a hit and run for insurance purposes...so I did.

Police officer showed up and as told to do, showed him my permit and advised location of pistol...

He handed it back right away, said "Well so I am, so we are even!" then we both chuckled and went on about the paperwork. Paperwork was over in about 3 min, the next 15 was some good ole' gun talk!!

All n all it was a good situation...just hope any other interactions end up this way.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest brandon_pitt

I was told, in my permit class, that if you are pulled over, or anything of that nature, you are supposed to hand over id and carry permit. Just so everyone knows the situation.

Opinions vary on the subject, but I think the LEO has a difficult enough job without being surprised in the cours on a interview, traffic stop, or accident report by an unannounced weapon being discovered. Never been stopped or asked yet, but I think I'd do as you and inform. Seems like common courtesy for a man with a dangerous job.

I was told, in my permit class, that if you are pulled over, or anything of that nature, you are supposed to hand over id and carry permit. Just so everyone knows the situation.

Good idea, but not the law. If your instructor told you that was the law, you got bad information.

Guest rebeldrummer

To clarify, I was not told that is was the law, but just to do it as a courtesy. Thus the reason I did and he did thank me.

you were told wrong. It is amazing how much false information is given out during the permit class. It seems to be a common occurrence.

Wrong.

you were told wrong. It is amazing how much false information is given out during the permit class. It seems to be a common occurrence.

True.

I really don't care if they tell me.

1. I treat all as if they are carrying (officer safety/tactics wise).

2. If they're a legal HCP holder, they're the least of my worries.

Edited by TN-popo
Guest rebeldrummer

Well I will always advise the office that I am carrying....I know it's not a law or a requirement.

Not every cop is the model LEO, and I don't want some wound up tight rookie to make me kiss the hood of his cruiser or worse...

Just my two cents, even though really the point of the story was not to argue this particular issue.

To make a long story short.

Went into grocery store with no dent in my car

Came out of grocery store with a dent in my car....

I have heard to report a hit and run for insurance purposes...so I did.

Police officer showed up and as told to do, showed him my permit and advised location of pistol...

He handed it back right away, said "Well so I am, so we are even!" then we both chuckled and went on about the paperwork. Paperwork was over in about 3 min, the next 15 was some good ole' gun talk!!

All n all it was a good situation...just hope any other interactions end up this way.

I haven't interacted with an LEO since I started carrying yet. I'll do as you did. I hope my experience will be as pleasant as yours. Thanks for letting us know about your experience.

AA

Just my two cents, even though really the point of the story was not to argue this particular issue.

Totally understand, and yours is probably the best way.

Thanks for relating a positive LE interaction. I'm usually on the other side of the contact...and the VAST majority are positive as well.

Guest peacexxl

Sadly I have had several interactions with LEOs since I started carrying, damned speed limit signs never seem to match what my speedometer says, but I have offered up even when not carrying and they officers either thanked me for letting them no (3/4 times) or handed it back saying "I don't need that" (4th encounter). Either way I was glad to do my part to make everything go smoothly ... even though it's not my fault the signs were faulty.

I was pulled over back in the winter by THP for not wearing my seat belt. When asked for my DL, I showed him the permit. He asked if I was carrying, and I said yes, he asked where it was and I told him. He said to leave it there. When he came back and our business was over he asked what I was carrying, I said a 1911. He kind of laughed and said that, that ought to do it. He said have a good day and went back to his cruiser.

I was pulled over back in the winter by THP for not wearing my seat belt. When asked for my DL, I showed him the permit. He asked if I was carrying, and I said yes, he asked where it was and I told him. He said to leave it there. When he came back and our business was over he asked what I was carrying, I said a 1911. He kind of laughed and said that, that ought to do it. He said have a good day and went back to his cruiser.

Yep.

Guest bigbovine

Once only, this past winter. Wasn't paying attention to speed ( I was doing about 20 over, thats what you get when you pace with others and you stand out.) When I pulled over I handed both DL and Permit to Officer. He asked where it was and told me to leave it there. The funny part was when he asked what I had and I couldn't remember for a second. As he is filling out report another officer appears and walks on opposite side of truck looking through my side mirror while the other officer brought back my ticket. Now that made me uncomfortable, figured he did it for his safety, but sure made me feel like a bad guy. Lesson learned, dont get pulled over.

Guest Joshua8200

The handgun carry course at ETSU explains that TN does not have a duty to notify law, but some states do and you need to be aware of this. We discussed the option of handing the permit to the LEO at the beginning of the encounter as an option to help smooth the situation.