Range trip with the daughter

Howler

I took a trip to the range with my daughter and the new to me Glocks. I ran 150 rounds through the gen 4 26 and the gen 3 17, both ran without a hiccup. My daughter shot both and surpisingly likes the 17 better. She says she likes the longer grip of the 17 much better than the shorter grip of the 26.

I keep hearing about the gen 4 problems and I guess I'm just waiting on a failure, but I've yet to have a problem. I figure with the daughter being smaller that limp wristing might bring on a failure but it didn't. Another 100 rounds and I might start carrying the 26.

This brings up a question. How many rounds do you shoot before deciding a gun is reliable enough to carry?

I was playing around with the camera while she was shooting. Took what I thought was a cool picture.

IMG_1832.jpg

Edited by Howler
added picture
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, I haven't had any problems from my Gen 4 26 either. I have probably 400 rounds through it give or take.

For me, I think 300-400 rounds through a gun is enough to prove it is reliable, especially for a Glock. Just be sure to test your carry ammo also.

Mike, I haven't had any problems from my Gen 4 26 either. I have probably 400 rounds through it give or take.

For me, I think 300-400 rounds through a gun is enough to prove it is reliable, especially for a Glock. Just be sure to test your carry ammo also.

Agreed, but I'll go 500-800 on a 1911.

I dont think anything was changed on the Gen 4 26's but the grip . The grip without the atachments is like a short-frame Glock and to make it "regular" you have to add one of the attachments . The recoil spring assembly stayed the same as far as I know . I know on my Gen 4 without any attachemts , the grips feels shorter .

Guest The Highlander

I've been shooting Glocks for nearly 15 years now after resisting the koolaid for a long time. In that 15 years, over half a dozen in every caliber but .40, I've never had a single malfunction of any kind. My G17 is the most abused pistol I own other than an old Ruger Mk II. It did get some new springs, complete dissassembly and cleaning this spring though.

My only experience with the Gen 4's is holding one in the gun shop. I'm waiting on the G34's to be out, then I'll take the plunge.

Guest 10mm4me

A general rule of thumb to determine reliability is 500rds of ball and 200rds of your carry ammo. If the gun hasn't failed by then, it probably isn't going to. Some Gen 4's run great and some don't. I think the problem has been over exacerbated (is that a real word) by the internet.