My Heritage Rough Rider review.

Guest Xring04

Guest Xring04

A couple of years ago I stopped into a local gun store to pick up a couple of small items. I went in with no intention of buying a gun, but, just as it had many times before, I found myself handing over my drivers license, and filling out paperwork.

The whole time I was filling out the paperwork I was skeptical of the quality of the gun. $99 for a brand new single action revolver....at least if it was a piece of junk, I would not be out much.

After getting it home I was pleasantly surprised at how well it shot. I figured that the gun would shoot itself to pieces in no time, and I would see why the gun was so cheap. Box after box of cheap bulk ammo came and went and the little revolver shoots just as well today as it did the day I purchased it.

This target was shot 24 times at 10 yards.

IMG_4421.jpg

IMG_4427.jpg

IMG_4428.jpg

The good.

The gun shoots well and is very reliable. In the thousands of rounds I have fired through it, the only failures have been due to the cheap ammo. It is also pretty accurate and quite a bit of fun to shoot.

The bad.

The finish is kinda crude. For some reason Heritage felt that a single action revolver needed a safety. The safety has never caused a problem, nor have I ever inadvertently activated it, but it does detract from the aesthetics of the gun and is an unnecessary complication. The sights, which are accurate, are small and a bit hard to see. Larger adjustable sights are available when you purchase the gun.

All in all I am very pleased with this inexpensive revolver. It's not as nice looking or feeling as my single six, but it shoots just as well, and it cost a few times less.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Like you said the finish is not all that, but mine is a very accurate. I can't tell you how many rounds have been through it, but it is a fun little gun. When you cock the hammer it is more like the Colt then the Rugers. Nothing like some .22 plinkers.

Mine:

A pair of Single-Sixes

Colt Frontier Scout

Rough Rider

H&R 949

Cobra derringer .22mag

Ruger 22/45

Edited by Sidinman

Good review.. I agree with you 100%. If you can stand the rough finish and the unobtrusive, although unnecessary safety, you'll be hard pressed to find a better shooting 22 revolver at any price; let alone for $100.