Flooding along the Mississippi

I hope none of our TGO'ers in the Memphis area are affected by the flooding.

After living through what happened in Nashville last summer, I wouldn't wish flooding on any community. We were only inconvenienced by the flood but neighbors just a 1/2 mile away got flooded. It can be devastating.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

Thanks for the support! I actually live on Mud Island, so I'm sandwiched between the Mississippi and Wolf Rivers. Looks like my house is going to remain safe provided we don't have any sewer backups, but I may still have to evacuate. One of our two roads on and off the Island is already impassable, and there is a distinct possibility that the other will flood, too. Obviously I have no desire to be physically cut off from the rest of the city. Some of my neighbors may not be so fortunate. There are already some houses dipping their toes in the drink.

I did spend a few hours yesterday helping to fill sandbags. I was amazed by the number of volunteers we had out there, and the sheer amount of bags we got filled.

Whatever happens, we should know the extent of damage by Wednesday (and also whether we're going to break the old record). Then it's just a matter of waiting for the waters to recede and starting to rebuild whatever needs rebuilding.

Thanks for the support! I actually live on Mud Island, so I'm sandwiched between the Mississippi and Wolf Rivers. Looks like my house is going to remain safe provided we don't have any sewer backups, but I may still have to evacuate. One of our two roads on and off the Island is already impassable, and there is a distinct possibility that the other will flood, too. Obviously I have no desire to be physically cut off from the rest of the city. Some of my neighbors may not be so fortunate. There are already some houses dipping their toes in the drink.

I did spend a few hours yesterday helping to fill sandbags. I was amazed by the number of volunteers we had out there, and the sheer amount of bags we got filled.

Whatever happens, we should know the extent of damage by Wednesday (and also whether we're going to break the old record). Then it's just a matter of waiting for the waters to recede and starting to rebuild whatever needs rebuilding.

We wish you guys the best. Everyone in Mid. Tn. remembers the May flood last year.

I live & work In Hartsville. We're no stranger to floods. IN 1927, before the dams

were built, flood waters were chest deep in the courthouse. These a plaque on the wall

with the high water mark.

Keep your eyes on the water, sounds like it may get worse.