Wal mart ammo fee

I bought a box of ammo at Wal mart yesterday (in Nashville) and noticed a $0.10 fee tacked onto the price. The clerk asked if it was for a handgun and I nodded yes (100 .45 ACP). Has anyone noticed this?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

It's not a Wal-Mart fee, it's a state tax. If you look, there's a $0.10 stamp on the box. They're supposed to check if you're over 21 to buy handgun ammo per store policy. Some do, some don't.

It's not a Wal-Mart fee, it's a state tax. If you look, there's a $0.10 stamp on the box. They're supposed to check if you're over 21 to buy handgun ammo per store policy. Some do, some don't.

Ditto.

It is a ten cent tax. Not a fee.

Dumb law, there is a rifle in nearly every handgun caliber and a lot of handguns in rifle calibers as well. What is this, the honor system? If so, just ask if they plan to do anything bad with said ammo instead, that will work, won't it?

• Admin Team
Dumb law, there is a rifle in nearly every handgun caliber and a lot of handguns in rifle calibers as well. What is this, the honor system? If so, just ask if they plan to do anything bad with said ammo instead, that will work, won't it?

Last time I bought ammo in Florida, they asked about 5 or 6 questions, the last of which was, "Are you currently mad at anyone?"

I wanted to reply that I wasn't when I came to the register, but was starting to get that way. I needed the ammo, so I just answered no.

Funny thing is trying to buy .22LR ammo in a Wal-Mart where they ask if it's for a handgun or rifle. Answer that it's for a rifle and you can buy at 18, answer that it's for a handgun and you have to be 21.

It's hard protecting people from themselves.

What law are you ranting about?

The reason Walmart aks is because you're suppost to be 21 to purchase handgun ammo and 18 to buy rifle ammo. Silly...I know.

What law are you ranting about?

the ammo thing... having 2 different ages for the same product depending on the customer's answer to a question. If you trust the customer to answer truthfully, the check is not needed. Since almost all handgun calibers can be found in a rifle, almost all ammo can be answered as rifle. Even the few rounds that do not have a rifle, would the wallmart ammo person know? I get the feeling the one at our WM has never even held a gun.

Guest GallatinTN

At least you have someone at the counter. It usually takes 30 minutes to get someone to show up to sell it to you at the Gallatin WM.

At least you have someone at the counter. It usually takes 30 minutes to get someone to show up to sell it to you at the Gallatin WM.

Same deal here, but even after the ten cent tax and sales tax, it is cheaper than having bulk shipped off the internet. I can deal with a few minor issues to same money and have it when I want it.

Guest Kamikaze

I went there a few months ago to get some shotgun shells. I also needed some dip. Since you don't need a clerk to get shot gun shells I just took them to the front and got in line in the "tobacco" isle. Anyway after trying for 2 minutes to explain to the woman which can of dip I wanted, I made the remark "this would be much easier if the government didn't make you guys lock this stuff up like they do". She then replied, "what scares me is they will let you buy these bullets without an ID". I asked her what was so scary about that. She then went into how guns hurt people, blah, blah, blah. The whole time I had my 45 on my hip in a paddle holster. I turned to the side so she would notice it and I said "I carry this one everyday and it has never hurt anyone". She gave a wide eyed look since apparently she hadn't noticed it. She didn't talk to me anymore after that. I checked out and left.

I bought a box of ammo at Wal mart yesterday (in Nashville) and noticed a $0.10 fee tacked onto the price. The clerk asked if it was for a handgun and I nodded yes (100 .45 ACP). Has anyone noticed this?

Yep...state ammo tax of $0.10 per box.

Honestly though, it's still a great deal. For me it's $28.97 + $0.10 per box of .40 and I can't find a better deal online once they add shipping in.

I went there a few months ago to get some shotgun shells. I also needed some dip. Since you don't need a clerk to get shot gun shells I just took them to the front and got in line in the "tobacco" isle. Anyway after trying for 2 minutes to explain to the woman which can of dip I wanted, I made the remark "this would be much easier if the government didn't make you guys lock this stuff up like they do". She then replied, "what scares me is they will let you buy these bullets without an ID". I asked her what was so scary about that. She then went into how guns hurt people, blah, blah, blah. The whole time I had my 45 on my hip in a paddle holster. I turned to the side so she would notice it and I said "I carry this one everyday and it has never hurt anyone". She gave a wide eyed look since apparently she hadn't noticed it. She didn't talk to me anymore after that. I checked out and left.

LMAO. We get these conversations all the time. Wish I could have witnessed that one.

Thanks...

Got that right. I've been there several times, same result. The one in Lebanon usually has someone there. That's where I go mostly.

As far as the ammo tax thing, I don't mind 0.10, if it goes to the TWRA, or some worthwhile cause.

You also get the same .10 Tax on every jug of motor oil you buy at Wally World, total BS IMO

You have to pay an oil tax everywhere. I used to be a manager at an AutoZone & they already have the oil tax included in their price on the shelf. Walmart charges it seperately at the register. That's one way to make you think you're getting it for less. Tricky people.

I know its not just wal-mart charging the extra dime, but aint it great to be able to buy ammo 24 hours a day?

The pricks at our Walmart won't allow ammo to be sold after 8:00pm most days of the week! 10:00pm on weekends! :doh:My town sucks!

Edited by luvmyberetta
Guest motonut
Got that right. I've been there several times, same result. The one in Lebanon usually has someone there. That's where I go mostly.

As far as the ammo tax thing, I don't mind 0.10, if it goes to the TWRA, or some worthwhile cause.

For some strange reason the last time I compared the ammo (9mm & 40) were cheaper at the Mt. Juliet store than at Lebanon. MJ has now gone up a bit but I don't know if it's in line w/ Lebanon now.

The pricks at our Walmart won't allow ammo to be sold after 8:00pm most days of the week! 10:00pm on weekends! :doh:My town sucks!

Wow...I know the Walmart on Gallagher view here in Knoxville said something about a time where they won't sell ammo but I bought mine at 11pm one night so I assume it's after that.

For some strange reason the last time I compared the ammo (9mm & 40) were cheaper at the Mt. Juliet store than at Lebanon. MJ has now gone up a bit but I don't know if it's in line w/ Lebanon now.

Seems like a weird thing with Walmart now. The price is different on certain things at certain stores. In relation to Ammo, the 100 round boxes of Winchester .40 is $28.97 at the Gallagher View Walmart and the one in Turkey creek and $29.97 at the one on Clinton Hwy.

The one I'm looking for now is the Federal FMJ 22LR ammo in a 550 round box for $14.97. I can only find the Remington box of 550 for $18.97 and another 555 round box for $19.47 at the Walmarts on Gallagher View and Clinton Hwy. I didn't really look at the one in Turkey Creek though.

Edited by wcsc12
...Seems like a weird thing with Walmart now. The price is different on certain things at certain stores.

Yeah, WWB 9mm 100 count was about 3 bucks difference in two different Wally's in Chattanooga recently.

- OS

yeah, now I remember that walmart near rivergate would not sell it to me after 10:00 and said its up to the store manager when the shut off is.

the ammo thing... having 2 different ages for the same product depending on the customer's answer to a question. If you trust the customer to answer truthfully, the check is not needed. Since almost all handgun calibers can be found in a rifle, almost all ammo can be answered as rifle. Even the few rounds that do not have a rifle, would the wallmart ammo person know? I get the feeling the one at our WM has never even held a gun.

You'd be surprised... even if you're buying the ammo for a rifle... many clerks will refuse to sell you 9mm or 45acp if you're under 21 in a WalMart.