Is Boys Club considered a "school"

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jon

I'm not sure on the law. but personally I would probably leave my gun in the car. I see no need in carrying into an establishment of the sort. Good chance they will be posted anyways.

just my opinion

I'm not sure on the law. but personally I would probably leave my gun in the car. I see no need in carrying into an establishment of the sort. Good chance they will be posted anyways.

Why? Do you think crime will magically not happen there because it's a place where good happens? If that was the case, there would never be crime at churches, right?

I very much doubt that the Boys Club falls under any school. They have to be registered as a school with the state to qualify, and I don't think they are, just a non-profit like churches/homeless shelters/etc. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Guest Jon
Why? Do you think crime will magically not happen there because it's a place where good happens? If that was the case, there would never be crime at churches, right?

I very much doubt that the Boys Club falls under any school. They have to be registered as a school with the state to qualify, and I don't think they are, just a non-profit like churches/homeless shelters/etc. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Like I said that was just my opinion. I agree crime can happen anywhere, but I also believe there are places where crimes are least to happen. A Boys and Girls Club I'd believe to be one of them.

Just my opinion again

Guest brandon_pitt

I guess he was looking for fact instead of opinion? Maybe that's why he so kindly patronized you, Jon, but I guess that's just my opinion. :)

Does anyone know if the Boys Club (now formally called The Boys and Girls Club) is considered a "school" under the law banning carry on school property, sports fields, etc.?

IANAL, but it doesn't appear as if the Boys Club is a school registered with the state of TN Department of Education. You can contact the state for a list of "schools" both public and private registered with the state, my own opinion if they're not listed with the state then it's not a school under state law :)

Unless they're renting land from a local school board, it should be safe to carry there.

(B) (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any firearm, explosive, explosive weapon, bowie knife, hawk bill knife, ice pick, dagger, slingshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, knuckles or any other weapon of like kind, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes,

in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution.

(2) A violation of this subsection (B) is a Class E felony.

I don't see anything that would lead me to believe being a state school is required; quite the opposite.

Common sense tells me that based on the purpose and goals of the Boys & Girls Clubs, if someone saw you carrying a gun you would either be asked to leave or the Police would be called.

I can only give a common sense reply to your question based on reading the law; but then I’m not big on being a test case. :)

I would think all those clubs are posted; are they not?

I don't see anything that would lead me to believe being a state school is required; quite the opposite.

Common sense tells me that based on the purpose and goals of the Boys & Girls Clubs, if someone saw you carrying a gun you would either be asked to leave or the Police would be called.

I can only give a common sense reply to your question based on reading the law; but then I’m not big on being a test case. :)

To be a public or private educational institution in TN, you have to be registered with the state. Just because you tutor kids after school and provide other programs doesn't mean you are an educational institution.

Private schools are also registered with the state. With very few exceptions having to do with religious schools which are certified with their respected religious school associations, but the VAST majority of them are registered with the state as well.

Guest 270win

Boys Club is like YMCA. I don't see why it would be illegal to carry a handgun there in Tennessee. There is not a law in TN that makes it illegal to carry at an 'athletic event' like in a few states, so you should be legal carrying at a Boy's Club basketball game. I wouldn't worry about it unless they are actually hosting say XYZ High School function.

Keeping a small gun concealed will avoid any problems like anywhere else.