New toy....SR1911

Guest spoolie

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rebeldrummer
Whats up with the beavertail?

It looks like it has a relief on the outside edge.

Dolomite

I noticed this as well....not sure what the purpose is? Other than looks? It wouldn't translate to much weight difference I'm would assume? And it you have larger hands like I do, you can feel it a little as well, the only thing I didn't like about it.

Anybody seen one around the Chattanooga area?

I have not, but I am sure Shooter's will getting some pretty soon if they don't have one already. They seem to be keeping quite a few 1911s in stock.

Wait...is there no billboard of warnings on the dust cover? I hope I'm seeing correctly

Here is the right side. No billboard! :)

05062011251.jpg

Whats up with the beavertail?

It looks like it has a relief on the outside edge.

Dolomite

Interesting observation. Wonder what purpose that serves, even if for aesthetics it seems a bit odd. Would like to see a better pic

Here are some pics of the relieved beaver tail. Looks nice IMO.

05062011252.jpg

05062011254.jpg

05062011255.jpg

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez
Good price. Nice pics.

Say what does the little blue dot mean anyway? Final inspection passed or something? Passed the California bed-wetter tests?

Shame no one has answered this. But I submit to you that it is not for passage of the California bed-wetter tests. The correct color sticker for that honor is yellow.

Shame no one has answered this. But I submit to you that it is not for passage of the California bed-wetter tests. The correct color sticker for that honor is yellow.

QC check. Each inspector has their own color.

Guest spoolie

I'll give a range report after I feed it a thousand or two thousand of my dangerous loads.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

The relief in the beavertail is for larger handed shooters who grip very high on the pistol a side effect to high swept beavertails and undercut trigger guards,.. I dremeled mine on my 10mm to have a relief due to it bearing on my 1st. thumb joint ( carpo-metacarpal ) doing this made for a better grip feeling and the 10 seemed to track better in recoil. my cut however doesn't go as high but closer to the front where it joins the frame and only on the "drivers side,port side or left side as you hold it pointing away"

Ruger probably did it to give them a distinction in a sea of 1911s and maybe to address this problem...

John

Edited by LngRngShtr
I'll give a range report after I feed it a thousand or two thousand of my dangerous loads.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I look forward to seeing that thread! If this thing is as robust as some of Ruger's other stuff, it should be very forgiving of hot loads...

I am trying real hard to hold off until they deliver one in all black. If Ruger made sure there will be no recalls on this one, they've got to become a real threat to competitors. That price is very fair.

Edited by eapking
typo

I'll say this much about the beavertail. The one on my Metro Arms gave me a small scar on my hand from where it would dig in after each shot due to where I was gripping it. I used to tell people it "bites back". The Ruger doesn't.