Beginner GunSmith

Guest docnblue

Guest docnblue

Have decided to start something I have allways wanted to do and that is to start learning how to become a gun smith. I would like to know if someone has any ideas as to what would be a good tool starter set that I should purchase. I am hoping that I can get good enough so that I can start helping out some of the Deputies that I work with. :o

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seek out an armorers course,.. or 3 depending on what your department uses and buy tools as you need... Kits are good but I have yet to get one and not have unused tools

Brownells sells quality gear so that would also be a starting point..

John

Figure out what the primary wepon you will be working on, in this case it sounds like a Glock. It doesn't need anythng other than a punch to disassemble it. Then figure out what parts you would need to do routine fixes.

The department should be covering all repairs so I am not sure why you would need to fix their weapons.

Brownells is a good place for tools and parts.

Dolomite

Guest docnblue

Thanks for your info. I have started looking at schools online. There are alot to choose from. Any suggestions are welcome. I am having to do this on my own due to budget cuts in our dept. so it will be out of my pocket. As far as I am concerned it will be worth the cost because it will be something I can continue to do from now on. I am not trying to cut out other gun smiths, but our dept. is a low paying dept. and has no armorer. We have to take our weapons to a local armorer and pay for the repairs {if you own your own weapon}. If it is a dept. weapon it is sent out to be worked on. Many of our deputies own our own weapons and our Reserves and Part-time deputies must buy there own weapons. I am just trying to provide a service for those who may need some help at a very small price. Any other suggestions are welcome. Again Thanks for your help.

As others mentioned Brownell's is hard to beat for tools and parts. As far as schools the only suggestion I have is some classes that are offered at Range USA in Bartlett. I have not taken these classes and they are probably not quite gunsmith level but would probably be a good start. Check out their A&P ( Anatomy and Physiology ) classes offered for Carbine, Glock, Shotgun, Sig, and Single action 1911 and range in price from 50 to 75 dollars. Check out their site, classes are listed. http://www.rangeusa.com

Just wondering if you're going into gun smithing or armor. An actual gunsmith will

require more than you mention. Lots of armorer classes around.

Can relate to the Dept. budget crunch. All the smaller Depts. have fallen victim

to this bug. If our Co. Commission had it's way, most of us wouldn't have a job.

Still living back in the "Andy & Barney" mentality.

Good luck to you, regardless.

This is O\T but what is the difference between a gunsmith and an armorer?

Armorers tend to repair/replace stock items. Also installation of new parts such as optics, mounts, barrels and so forth. Mainly on military type guns such as AR/M4 platforms, duty handguns, shotguns, etc.

Gunsmiths tend to be more in depth. They build, fabricate, repair broken parts, etc. They usually do installation of headspaced barrels, reaming, and cutting.

Exception seem to be Army Marksmanship Unit and Marine Depot Armorers that actually build rifles such as for the shooting teams and such.

In my experience it tends to be if you can do everything with hand tools and light power tools you are an armorer.

A gunsmith uses bench mounted tools like lathes and presses in addition to hand tools.

most PD weapons are pretty easy to fix...if you have modern weapons. If your department is stuck in the Tommy gun past , repair or replacement of parts is a whole different ball of wax. Glocks are easy as long as you don't lose that damn spring.

Guest GunTroll

From what it sounds like... you are probably looking into armorer type instructions and duties. That is unless you are also looking into doing more general type repairs. If you aren't interested in making custom rifles, pistols, and making parts that are unavailable, don't waste your time and or money taking machining classes. You simply do not need a lathe or the skills involved to operate one for fixing Glocks, and other common LE weapons. Mills on the other hand can be used rather frequently with pistols ( 1911 comes to mind) but again you most likely won't need one for a Glock, SIG, etc.

But in NO way am I discouraging you from wanting to learn the trade of gunsmithing. For all I know you are about to retire or someday you will, and want a hobby/job for retirement.

Feel free to PM me or contact me another way if you have any further questions that I maybe of some help to you with.

Oh yeah....Have fun. I do!

Edited by GunTroll