Smith PD1911

Guest 556or762

Guest 556or762

I am looking at a Smith and Wesson PD1911 4" gun with the Scandium frame, I have never shot one of these guns and would like to know what others think before I buy. I am still not sold on the 1911 external extractor either, others have tried and failed in the past so I guess what does everyone else think about these guns for carry?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scandium is a marketing tool; its aluminum. Aluminum alloys are okay for carry guns if you need the reduced weight. I wouldn't want one for a range or target weapon.

I have owned many brands and models of 1911's. My choices now are all Stainless. As far as Quality and Craftsmanship, to me its a toss up between them and Kimber, but S&W has better customer support than anyone in the industry.

I don't have any experience with the 4", but I really like the 5" PD. I like the balance, and it is a great shooter.

Time will tell, but I think that Sig and S&W have the external extractors figured out. I still prefer an internal extractor, but have not had any issues with this latest generation of externals.

556:___________

RE: This

...I am looking at a Smith and Wesson PD1911 4" gun with the Scandium frame ...
I recently had an older lightweight colt series 70 commander (...4.25 barrel...) upgraded (...this one had been layin around a good while, was bought new in the late 70's...) for carry by a good friend. We added adjustable sights, lowered and flaired the ejection port, and (...believe it or not...) added an old timey spur hammer. It is a great carry gun simply because of the weight reduction. Weight is cut down with the aluminum (...or scandium...) frame about 10 or so ounces (...from about 38 or so ounces to 28 or 30 oz. ...). That is a real difference when it comes to cary.

The only real difference ive ever seen between the lightweight 4 inch and the original 5 inch steel guns (...and we've shot a bunch of em over the years...), is that the lighter ones climb higher in recoil; which i view as a minor thing. The lighter weight more than makes up for this shortcomming. There are those who will tell you that an aluminum alloy frame will wear out before a steel frame will; and i completely agree with that pronouncement. It just takes a lot of shootin to wear either one of them out.

I like the lightweights. I would love to have a lightweight 5 inch 38 super myself.

Hope this helps a bit.

leroy

Guest 556or762

I appreciate the info, I have several 1911's and I like the Kimbers and the Springfields a lot. I have been carrying a Kimber Eclipse Pro, or my Kahr P45 for a while now back and forth but I would like to have a lighter 4" 1911 to carry. I have even contemplated buying a Kahr TP45 for the longer barrel, its just one of those things I like a 4" barrel for some reason. Oh and if anyone wondered I DO recommend the Kahr P45 for carry it is a great carry gun that is surprisingly accurate for its size.