Keltec PLR16 Style Pistols vs traditional

Can anyone educate me on the functional difference between the Keltec PLR16 style of 5.56 pistol vs the tradiotional style? What I'm looking for is info about how they work. Keltec, and a few others make theirs without a buffer assembly group, makin g for a shorter overall length, while most others do have that part, making for a much longer overall length. How do these differences affect operation and performnance. Although my experience has alwaqys been with the traditional style, WITRH the buffer assembly, apparently the Keltec style works well also. Anyone?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what you are asking.

I have owned several AR-15's, own a PLR-16 now, have never owned a AR-15 pistol.

I've never had a malfunction with my PLR-16. So performance is there. To me, it's a belly gun or CQB on steroids. I've shot it offhand at pistol range distances with good results; I've never shot for group size (I don't consider it a target or hunting weapon)

I bought mine so I could throw it in the trunk (loaded) in case I was ever in a situation where I needed that kind of firepower. Once the law passed that allowed HCP holders to carry rifles that wasn't an issue anymore.

The cons? As you point out it is not "traditional"; it is not an AR-15. You don't have the accessory options you have with an AR.

The only thing about the PLR is that its velocity (due to short barrel) means you may not get your frag/tumble effects if used as a defensive weapon with some ammo types and medium-longer ranges. It works well, the only malfunctions I have had are on handloads that I messed up. I do not know about the part that it does not have but it performs well, it reliable and pretty accurate up to 100 yards. I havent tried to go farther than that with it yet. A lot of gun for the money and in a small package, its a great piece of hardware.

You can get the manual online to see the expanded view of how it is made.

Guest Lester Weevils

I'm dumb on gun innards and it has been a few months since I had mine apart. Hopefully it isn't wrong info to say that the PLR-16 borrows from the AK style action a little bit with the top gas tube. Also, unless I'm remembering wrong, it uses a piston in the spring tube.

The bolt is a rotating bolt with locking lugs that look somewhat like an AR.

Wikipedia says it like this-- The PLR-16 combines the multi-lug rotating bolt design and breech-locking system of the AR-15 with a gas piston system similar to that of the M-1 Garand, M-14, and AK-47. This system requires less maintenance than the direct gas impingement system of the AR-15 platform.

I appreciate the answers, and it is probably my poorly phrased question that is causing me to not get the answer I seek. In an AR, the buffer assembly group is the tube in the buttstock that contains the spring and the buffer, a longish metal tubular closed ends piece that slides back and forth in the buffer tube. Thesre is a reason for this contraption, it's not for looks, lol. But the PLR 16 does not have this. Some ar style pistols have this buffer tube assembly like on the AR15s, and some do not. My questions is why? There must be some pros and conms to each idea, as both obviously sell.

I appreciate the answers, and it is probably my poorly phrased question that is causing me to not get the answer I seek. In an AR, the buffer assembly group is the tube in the buttstock that contains the spring and the buffer, a longish metal tubular closed ends piece that slides back and forth in the buffer tube. Thesre is a reason for this contraption, it's not for looks, lol. But the PLR 16 does not have this. Some ar style pistols have this buffer tube assembly like on the AR15s, and some do not. My questions is why? There must be some pros and conms to each idea, as both obviously sell.

Look at the gun, the tube on top of the barrel is the "buffer" tube, same part, just redesigned and relocated.