Interesting article from CNN on concealed carry

As Rep. Giffords prepares to attend shuttle launch, Gun Owners' Erich Pratt says 'armed citizens pose a huge deterrent to criminals' – In the Arena - CNN.com Blogs

As an interesting side note, I actually had a face-to-face chat with Dr. Kleck (mentioned in the article) at the 2009 American Society of Criminology Annual Meeting in Philadelphia and talked about this particular issue. My impression was that he still doesn't particularly support concealed carry, but stands by his findings.

One anti-gun friend of mine challenged the article as being "disingenuous" because the Denver church shooting was stopped by one who was hired as an armed security guard and happened to also have a carry permit rather than a private citizen with CCW. I did some research and found this article:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/14817480/detail.html

In it, the pastor of the church says that the security is provided by church volunteers who are screened and selected. The only ones who are armed are those with a carry permit. In short, had Colorado law not allowed permit holders to carry their firearms in churches, this lady would not have been able to engage the attacker and neutralize the threat.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot
Added info
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

TRADING POST NOTICE

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions.

TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is not a lobbying organization and has no affiliation with any lobbying organizations.  Beware of scammers using the Tennessee Gun Owners name, purporting to be Pro-2A lobbying organizations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.