Tactical...Luggage?

Guest Bronker

Guest Bronker

I've got to buy some new luggage.

What I need is something that will be convenient for 3-5 day trips. It need not be a bug-out bag, or a suitcase per se. Nor shall it be a EDC. I have most of those needs pretty well covered.

I would like for it to be of Maxpedition standard quality, but I don't feel married to that brand. I like the idea of backpack capability, but not mandatory. I like the lay-flat options of duffel bags, but only if they have good rigidity and dividers for keeping gear organized to some degree. Rolling capability not a must.

To narrow it down, I like the idea of the Maxpedition Doppelduffel, which satisfies many of my needs, but it's expensive and I think all of the PALS attachments are an utter waste, and poorly designed. But, it's durable and has decent organization aspects.

I also like the Maxped Load Out series duffels, but they seem like they would be quite awkward to carry if filled up. Plus there's no organizers.

So...what do you have first hand knowledge of using that meets these criteria in the 3-5 day travel needs category?

(you might see the undertone here that I'm looking for a really good reason NOT to go on and order the Maxped Doppelduffel...:D I really like it, but it's not perfect).

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a Locomotive Engineer and travel a lot. Loading my luggage on trains and in the back of vans being transported to and from hotels. I have tried all styles of luggage over the years and have finally found one brand that can take the punishment. Red Oxx made in Montana, Lifetime warranty, any problems with it ship it back to Red Oxx and they will repair or replace and send it back to you return shipping paid. I work with people who have had theirs for 15 plus years no warranty work needed. I have had mine 4 years no problems. They are expensive but GREAT QUALITY! You get what you pay for. Check them out. http://www.redoxx.com

Edited by BigJim
Guest Bronker
I am a Locomotive Engineer and travel a lot. Loading my luggage on trains and in the back of vans being transported to and from hotels. I have tried all styles of luggage over the years and have finally found one brand that can take the punishment. Red Oxx made in Montana, Lifetime warranty, any problems with it ship it back to Red Oxx and they will repair or replace and send it back to you return shipping paid. I work with people who have had theirs for 15 plus years no warranty work needed. I have had mine 4 years no problems. They are expensive but GREAT QUALITY! You get what you pay for. Check them out. http://www.redoxx.com

Have. Found. Answer!

Love that stuff! Thanks for the link.

A friend of mine uses a Pelican case. I think it is a 1510, not sure though, but it is the size of a suitcase. It works so good for him I picked one up a few months ago for myself. Just have not been anywhere to use it yet.

Guest Bronker

Digging the RedOxx PR5.5. I even found some airline pilot forum reviews of it, and it's the top pick. BigJim, you've solved my dilemma.

Guest Bronker
I had the Doppelduffel and thought it was a little too small for a 3-5 day trip.

That was what I'm concerned about. I'm all over that Redoxx stuff, particularly the Safari Beano PR5.5

• 1 month later...
Guest Bronker

Anyone have any experience with the L.L.Bean Expedition series luggage? Worth the price? LLB's stuff is usually good quality.

Well, since this thread came back up.

I have the Tactical Gear Luggage for you.

Suitcase Coat - avoid baggage fees

A revolutionary new way to travel without the old hassles of using big, clumsy suitcases. Avoid extra fees imposed by the airlines.

big downside is does not appear to be available yet. I know I saw this on TV awhile back.

I believe it was expensive but I am not certain since the price is not listed.

Edited by vontar

My experience with LLBean stuff has all been good, it's very high quality and lifetime warranty. My wife used the same LLBean backpack all through high school and college and it's still in decent shape. I'm on my 3rd fleece coat... broken zipper after 5 years then frayed stitching 6 or so years. They replaced the coat free of charge both times, no questions asked.