LaserMax UniMax Micro Laser Review

Well, I just received a LaserMax UniMax-Micro rail mounted laser that I have installed on my Walther PPS 9mm. So far, I have to say that I am extremely impressed with the quality and design of the laser.

DSC03088.jpg

The unit came packaged in a snap-closure clamshell pack with minimal extra wasted packaging. This is a minor detail, but I can't stand those regular clamshell packs that take a blowtorch, chainsaw, and Kevlar gloves to get into without slicing off a finger. The instructions were in color and more than adequate for properly setting up, installing, and adjusting the laser sight. The package also included a battery and an allen wrench.

The laser mounts to the accessory rail of compact pistols such as my PPS and similar sized carry guns. The laser mounts using a screw that is easy to tighten down. The Micro has a small footprint that does not extend too far down or to the sides of the frame. The front of the laser also fits flush with the front of my pistol. The unit is far enough back on the frame that it can easily be activated with my trigger finger or finger from my support hand. Overall, the fit is darn near perfect for my PPS. It is also very lightweight so I don't notice any change in the balance or feel of the handgun.

DSC03087.jpg

Features of the laser are excellent as well. It is a basic red dot laser sight, but it is extremely bright even in normal indoor light. I have not taken it outside in daylight to see how it does, but I expect it to be on par with other red lasers. The laser is activated by an ambidexterous touch switch; one push on either side turns it on and an additional push on either side turns it off. It also has a feature that automatically turns off the laser after 10 minutes in case it is accidentally left on. The battery is kept in place by a sliding metal door that is easy to change without tools. Adjustment for windage and elevation is easy using the provided allen wrench. The shell of the unit is a polymer of some sort that appears to be durable and solid. The laser does not feel cheaply made or flimsy. The laser itself appears to be housed in a rubber-like material to help absorb shock, which one would expect for a quality laser sight. The screw that is used is metal and utilizes a metal nut on the side to tighten the laser. This is important so you don't have to worry about stripping out any threads in the laser unit. The laser is mounted tightly to the rail and I see no evidence that the screwholes are especially weak.

DSC03092.jpg

DSC03094.jpg

DSC03091.jpg

Specs per their website are as follows:

For: Virtually anything with a Picatinny rail

Weight: 0.43 ounces

Wavelength: 650nm (red)

Power Output: 5mW

Battery Type: 1/3N Lithium (1)

Battery Life: Over 5 hours

Accuracy: User adjustable for windage & elevation

I have not taken the pistol to the range yet, but once I do, a range report will follow.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet review!!!

Thanks for doing this I have looked at these.

I may have to get one now.

I think it would be well worth it for a CCW pistol. I'm planning a trip to the range either later this afternoon or tomorrow to see how it performs and whether it will hold zero. I'll be sure to update once I do.

Here is the range report. I am VERY pleased with this laser! I fired 50 rounds of Winchester 124 grain FMJ and the laser worked flawlessly.

DSC03107.jpg

As expected, the laser was not visible on the target in full sunlight (it was about 4:30p), but when I moved the target into the shade, it was clearly visible. I did not detect any change in the zero and the laser remained securely mounted on the pistol.

LaserTarget.jpg

My final string of 7 rounds was fired off-hand using only the laser in rapid succession with only a brief pause between shots to get the pistol back on target. As you can see, the laser kept the shots well-placed on the target. The rounds pulling to the left are a product of my shooting and not the laser. Each square is one inch.

DSC03106.jpg

I am extremely pleased with the performance of the UniMax Micro laser and would recommend it to anyone who is in the market for a laser sight for their compact pistol. MSRP on this model is $129, but shopping around, you can get them for $100 or a little less. With this laser, it seems you get a lot of bang for your buck (pardon the pun).

Looks pretty cool, Ive never seen this before. Where is the activation switch? Does it "slide" on or "push"?

It's an ambidextrous momentary touch switch. One push turns it on, a second turns it off. It doesn't matter which side you press.

DSC03091-1.jpg

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

I can't believe how tiny that thing is! Glad it seems to be working out for ya and feels sturdy so far.