Wilson

Gun Smith

I heard my neighbor out popping off a few rounds the other day. So I hopped on the four wheeler and went over to see what he was shooting. He had a Wilson 45 cal. Since he twisted my arm, I shot it a few time. Very nice.

I admit I'm ignorant. I had never heard of such a critter. I've been doing a little research on them. They seem to be fine guns. I was wondering why I never hear about them around here. Are they just too expensive?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty popular, but pricy enough --- not a gun for the average bubba, its for competetive shooting or other serious users rather than just a guy wanting to shoot at a 3 foot wide target 10 feet away. I got to try one a couple of weeks ago, really deflated me about my own new (and much cheaper) 1911 =/

Pretty popular, but pricy enough --- not a gun for the average bubba, its for competetive shooting or other serious users rather than just a guy wanting to shoot at a 3 foot wide target 10 feet away. I got to try one a couple of weeks ago, really deflated me about my own new (and much cheaper) 1911 =/

I liked your Para. I thought it shot better than either of the Kimbers I used to own.

Gun Smith, are Wilson's expensive? Yes. The most basic model will set you back over $2k. Whether they are worth the price or not is really only relevant to that individual considering purchasing one.

Ed Brown, Wilson, Nighthawk, les Baer... All fine high end 1911s, worth their money for those who can afford them or need them. Unfortunately I am neither

Yeah a regular 1911 or Glock is plenty accurate enough for what you need a handgun for. No way I would pay the price of a good rifle for a handgun.

If I were going to go to someone to build me a pistol that cost some serious money I would go here and at least hear the man out: Karl Sokol Chestnut Mountian Sports Gunsmithing Services

When I thought I need another 9mm 1911 this is the guy I found I liked. Why? He deals with much more than just a 1911, which I like. I like a gunsmith who does professional work on a variety of handgun systems.

I owned one Wilson in my life, a polymer model, I believe it may have been a KZ-45? Anyway, worst jam-o-matic POS I ever had. I was so glad when I got rid of it. I'll never walk that path again, thank you.

Yes, that particular model was not very popular for the reasons you cited. However, to judge Wilson based on that model instead of what they are known for, the 1911s, I believe is unfair. Their 1911s are some of the best on the market.

Yes, that particular model was not very popular for the reasons you cited. However, to judge Wilson based on that model instead of what they are known for, the 1911s, I believe is unfair. Their 1911s are some of the best on the market.

People can buy what they want, I'm just curious what makes them so much better than other handguns. The price vs value thing isn't there.

People can buy what they want, I'm just curious what makes them so much better than other handguns. The price vs value thing isn't there.

Highly debatable.

If your simply looking for a self defense, goes bang, target shooter, you're probably right. If your looking for a durable competition gun or tactical operator, there are many whow would disagree vehemently

Well, I am in the process of learning all this stuff for bullseye shooting, and the gunsmith I talked to put it this way: you can buy a cheap gun and pay me $2000 to fix it up, or you can buy a $2500 gun and pay me $250 to touch it up... at the end of the day you are going to sink $3k into the gun one way or the other unless you do it yourself or settle for a lesser gun.

The value is in the needs of the shooter. Do YOU need a 1911 that can shoot a 1.5 inch target at 50 yards?

Do YOU need a 1911 that can shoot a 1.5 inch target at 50 yards?

Speaking for me, no. BUT, I'm not into bullseye. I want a handgun loose enough to be reliable without question if I need it to defend myself. That's the number one requirement for me. That's why I personally can't justify those costs.

The value is in the needs of the shooter. Do YOU need a 1911 that can shoot a 1.5 inch target at 50 yards?

Not directed at you, but I have seen some very skilled people do some amazing stuff with regular guns.

Speaking for me, no. BUT, I'm not into bullseye. I want a handgun loose enough to be reliable without question if I need it to defend myself. That's the number one requirement for me. That's why I personally can't justify those costs.

Exactly. Any factory handgun is more than accurate for defensive purposes.

Guest mrkirker

I purchase firearms by using several levels of criteria, two of which I'll mention: I like reliable, accurate firearms that are well made and well fitted. And, it's a pleasure to shoot a firearm that is accurate to the point that if I 'miss' I know it's 'me' and not the firearm. Another point I consider is the resale factor. I've noticed that upscale firearms tend to depreciate at a much lower rate than their cheaper counterparts. Are there accurate, decent cheap firearms out there? Sure, and I'm certain that some of us have ran across a few examples over our years in shooting.

Are my reasons enough to justify paying 2k for a .45 acp? Not for everyone, for sure. But that's why they are 'my' reasons.

Yeah a regular 1911 or Glock is plenty accurate enough for what you need a handgun for. No way I would pay the price of a good rifle for a handgun.

Then don't buy one.

The price vs. whatever argument can be made on pretty much everything. Ultimately, if someone has the money to pay for a particular item and it is what they want and doesn't necessarily need, then would tell them to buy it. I don't think I have any business telling someone what they should buy or how foolish they were with their decision.

By the way, I own Glocks too and I think they are great. I just bought another one a few weeks ago.

A really well built/fit gun goes way beyond just the accuracy it gives. Granted, that the majority of shooters who shoot a couple thousand rounds a year will never benifit from much of what the pay-offs are, but to those who really run there guns hard and dirty, the payoff are well worth it.

Wilosn is at best a semi-custom gun, and like all semi-customs, they can leave their floor with problems from time to time.

+1 timcalhoun...

When I step to the line,go hunting or hear a bump at night I'm the kind of guy who wants to know that if that shot is an 8, I missed the game animal or have to shoot by something or someone to get the bump in the night then it is all me.... and that means CONFIDENCE I train, and do my part there is no question in my mind about my gear or ammo... the target is getting hit and that is an "intangible" that in my opinion makes Wilson or Nighthawk etc. worth the extra...

Now I will admit there are several other 'smiths out there that don't command as high a price and will build a fine product that suits the needs however for a "semi custom" call and we ship pistol Wilson,nighthawk etc. has the reputation for that, and it is convenient for those who don't want to or can't wait or wish to build one from scratch to their specs.

I have a mental list of my inventory and a scale as to which ones I will and will not be CONFIDENT with in a given situation,..

Some are stock,..some are customized,....the rest are range guns still accurate still reliable but not when results are on the line.. could I answer those problems with any old S&W M-10 ? yep... but I wouldn't feel as confident taking the long or tight shot.. doubt may creep in at the last few seconds but the shot would be made..

for me the price is paid for confidence (reliability accuracy and ergonomics etc.) not because " its a Wilson " or "insert gunsmith or company here"

John

I've always wanted a 1911 and have researched the different makes trying to decide what's for me. That choice is Wilson Combat. Sure they are pricey but for what you get (fit, finish, customer service) what you pay for. I like the way it feels in my hand the way it shoots is awesome.

Also, I found a dealer that is willing to do a lay-a-way. For a small deposit he will go ahead and submit your order to Wilson and get the gun in production. I think delivery time right now is 16 weeks.

Not directed at you, but I have seen some very skilled people do some amazing stuff with regular guns.

Of course. One of my best shooting guns ever is my $200ish makarov. If it had a decent set of sights I could probably hit black most shots on a BE target at 50 with that (and get a nice 600/900 score ish). I am not offended at all --- I do not own a 3k 1911, my new one was $900 and the one before that cheaper still. If I were good enough to win the sport and hit the big events, I would spend the $$ on the guns (costs as much for the travel anyway, once you get to that level). As it is, you could hand me a 10k gun that aimed itself and I still wouldnt beat some of the guys at local clubs shooting for fun. I have a ways to go yet -- the local bubbas can shoot 2500/2700 and I am, being honest and not modest, not there yet =)

Thats not to say that if I win the lottery, I wont be buying a good one, but that at this time, my skill level does not justify it and my budget doesnt have room.

Thats not to say that if I win the lottery, I wont be buying a good one, but that at this time, my skill level does not justify it and my budget doesnt have room.

That's probably the biggest reason that I don't have custom guns. Most factory guns will shoot better than most people need. I have a friend that has a custom built bolt action rifle, but he was a Marine sniper with 4 tours overseas, so I could see him being skilled enough for something like that.

I do not have the skill level for the guns that I own. Heck, I would venture to say that I don't really have the skill level for my Glocks, but I still bought several high-end guns. Why? Because I knew they were way better than me and to enjoy them, which I am.

I may get into some competitions in the future if I ever feel that I have attained the ability to make at least a decent showing. Until then, I will just enjoy the time I spend at the range and have fun.

Personally, never drank the 1911 koolaid. For those who have, that's great. To each

his own. Only one I ever shot was when I was in Uncle Sam's Army in Basic in '66.

Can't really justify spending big bucks with Wilson, etc. for a weapon that has an edge

in paper punching at 50 yds. I want something that works at defensive range when

it's on the line.

Wilson is a good weapon, but so is Glock, XDm, S&W, etc. Blood trail is similar.