HCP waiting time

Guest TennMan

Guest abailey362

Just got off the phone and was given the "it will be issued today and give it 7-14 days" that seems very popular today. Today is day 88 for me. I think this is my 4th phone call. I had also called on the 25th as someone above did and wasn't so lucky...but at last they say it's on it's way =/

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I didn't say calling works like a charm on the first call. :hat: This was my 3rd call. Last week they said not to call back until mid-August. I called this morning and they said they would call me back. I never received the call so I called them back a few minutes ago and they said they would issue it. So I'd say calling (however many times) definitely does expedite the process.

Think you can make one of the meet n' eat n' shoots?

Next one is local.

14_6_19.gif

Guest sysco462

Finally... I got my permit today. I was finger printed in mid May. I called 2-3 weeks ago and was told they on a 90+ day wait. Called back last Tuesday and they issued that day. 6 days and I got it. It feels good to be over with that.

Today is day 34 for me. With all the encouraging posts... figured I'd try my luck with the polite telephone call.

The lady told me that 2 of the 3 background checks were complete. Then she informed me that they were very backed up and that I should expect it to be at least 90 days from when I applied and that I shouldn't call back until then.

Guess I'll give it a couple of more weeks and try again.

Guest bkelm18
Today is day 34 for me. With all the encouraging posts... figured I'd try my luck with the polite telephone call.

The lady told me that 2 of the 3 background checks were complete. Then she informed me that they were very backed up and that I should expect it to be at least 90 days from when I applied and that I shouldn't call back until then.

Guess I'll give it a couple of more weeks and try again.

They told me the exact same thing last week. Just keep calling. You'll eventually talk to someone who'll just issue it. Worked for me. :hat:

Think you can make one of the meet n' eat n' shoots?

Next one is local.

I would, but I work Saturdays. I would take that Saturday off but we have an event that day that I can't miss. One of these days.

Guest mn32768

Sent the application on May 5th, called today (day 91). The lady said that the background checks are not complete, they are backlogged by 'several months' and told me to call again 'in a few weeks'. She was adamant that they do not issue permits until all background checks are in, and that there are no deadlines for background checks. They do not check the status of background checks either, so if paperwork gets lost, the application will be in limbo indefinitely. My wife sent hers in on May 26th and got hers on July 8th!

Guest eyebedam
Sent the application on May 5th, called today (day 91). The lady said that the background checks are not complete, they are backlogged by 'several months' and told me to call again 'in a few weeks'. She was adamant that they do not issue permits until all background checks are in, and that there are no deadlines for background checks. They do not check the status of background checks either, so if paperwork gets lost, the application will be in limbo indefinitely. My wife sent hers in on May 26th and got hers on July 8th!

Call back tomorrow & hope you get someone else.

Guest GUTTERbOY
Call back tomorrow & hope you get someone else.

Most definitely; assuming this is a new permit and not a renewal, they must issue after 90 days even if the background checks aren't back. If it's a renewal permit, then the 90 day limit doesn't apply, and you might well be hosed.

If you continue to get told that they won't issue a new permit until all background checks are back, then I suggest that you call or email the DoS Commissioner:

Commissioner

Tennessee Department of Safety

1150 Foster Avenue

Nashville, TN 37243

Phone: 615-251-5166

Email.Safety@state.tn.us

Guest mn32768
Most definitely; assuming this is a new permit and not a renewal, they must issue after 90 days even if the background checks aren't back. If you continue to get told that they won't issue a new permit until all background checks are back, then I suggest that you call or email the DoS Commissioner.

Yep, dug up the applicable law (TCA 39-17-1531(l)). I emailed the Commissioner, if I don't get a timely reply, will escalate through my TN state rep, who's been very helpful in my dealings with state agencies before.

It really seems to help to keep calling. I called last week (7/31) and was told I was still missing a background check and they were running on a 90 day schedule. I called today and was told they would go ahead and issue it and it should arrive in 7-14 days.

I asked her if all background checks were in and, she said they had been in for 2 weeks. This isn't the same info I got on July 31st, but I didn't say a word about it. My point is-- keep calling, it works.

Can't wait for my trip to Wal-Mart. :koolaid:

Application and prints completed on June 24th.

This should have gone in the post above. I screwed up the edit feature.

Boy, i tell you, this is one seriously messed up system.

I just called (June 9 for me), "Natasha" told me they are on a 90 day "backlog cycle" and after a question or two, that it "could" take 180 days to get the thing! But they were getting "caught up". I asked how some folks who applied AFTER me already had permit, said something to the effect that they must have been lucky enough to have hit a "previous cycle" or some such balderdash.

I don't want to make any more waves until I actually get it (this is my second call), but I can assure you that I will try to make some noise to commissioner and/or my state rep afterwards.

I've lived in TN all my life, and at the same address for the last 11 years.

Have CDL, bought guns recently, etc. I don't know who would be any easier to "clear" than me.

This is absolutely an intolerable practice and needs investigation/reform.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I think they must get messed up as to whether they are talking about to/about new applications or renewals sometimes.

As we all know they only have 90 days, by law, to issue a new permit, but there is no time limit on renewals.

They are very much behind on renewals, but that shouldn't have any affect on the 90 days for new permits.

If you renew at a DL station, it really doesn't matter how long it takes for the renewal permit to be issued, your legal to carry with your old permit and the reciept from the renweal application.

I so disgusted with the entire inequality and slip-shod nature of the process, I sent email to Joe Armstrong, my state rep, asking him to look into it, not just for me, but in general.

Included lots of factoids, including link to this thread here, and also to the Naifeh fiasco, as an ironic ps.

Probably that and a dollar will get me a cuppa joe, but what the heck. If I don't get a response from Armstrong's folks by midweek, I'll call his office, too.

- OS

Guest eyebedam
I so disgusted with the entire inequality and slip-shod nature of the process, I sent email to Joe Armstrong, my state rep, asking him to look into it, not just for me, but in general.

Included lots of factoids, including link to this thread here, and also to the Naifeh fiasco, as an ironic ps.

Probably that and a dollar will get me a cuppa joe, but what the heck. If I don't get a response from Armstrong's folks by midweek, I'll call his office, too.

- OS

Well now you went & done it. To the bottom of the stack you go.:biglol:

Im joking. Its frusterating as hell when you want something so bad & you feel like you are either getting the run around or talking to a brick wall. Hopefully it will be there soon.

Guest mn32768
Yep, dug up the applicable law (TCA 39-17-1531(l)). I emailed the Commissioner, if I don't get a timely reply, will escalate through my TN state rep, who's been very helpful in my dealings with state agencies before.

I got a reply, the permit has been issued today. The person to contact at TN DoS pertaining to problems with HCP applications is Lisa Knight. They are aware of the 90 day rule, but seem to hope that HCP applicants are not. It seems their office drones are lazy or just ignorant, and speaking to anyone else but Ms. Knight is a waste if time. I will also follow up with my TN state representatives, maybe there's general interest, it being an election year and all. :biglol:

Edited by mn32768
Well now you went & done it. To the bottom of the stack you go.:D

Im joking. ...

Actually, you might be right. I emailed the commissioner's office, too.

Assuming either/both offices even read the things, I might either get action or get blackballed.

I would just wait, even after conflicting info from my two calls, about 10 days apart, but getting blown off about some 90+90 day cycle that isn't even LEGAL takes the cake.

Heck, if it's not issued in 90 day window, I may impose on a lawyer friend to file a friggin criminal malfeasance charge or some such !

- OS

Guest superman7890

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as some of you. I'm on my 93 day without my permit after two phone calls. I too got the 90 + 90 days behind spill. I'm going to call again tomorrow and try to get in touch with Lisa. I'll let you all know how things go :cool:

Guest superman7890

Just to clarify for everyone else, I think the law is 39-17-1351(l)

Guest Linoge

You know, after reading through all of this, I am rather happy that my Florida resident's permit is honored here, and I can keep running with it until TN gets off its arse and provides me one of their pieces of plastic.

However, no matter what, the mantra of "It is better than Kalifornistan" keeps a smile on my face.

Guest GUTTERbOY
You know, after reading through all of this, I am rather happy that my Florida resident's permit is honored here, and I can keep running with it until TN gets off its arse and provides me one of their pieces of plastic.

However, no matter what, the mantra of "It is better than Kalifornistan" keeps a smile on my face.

Keep in mind that if you're a TN resident now, your FL permit is only valid for six months after you move here, as I recall. I had a NC permit before moving here, but I slacked for a while and didn't get off my arse, take the TN HCP classm and get my app in until over six months after I'd moved out here. I probably *could* have carried with my NC permit while waiting on my HCP, but I didn't feel like risking it. My thought was that if I happened to speak to an officer, handing him a TN driver's license and a NC carry permit probably would have been asking for trouble...

I called last week on my renewal (90+) days. Today I received a letter from them

that gave me permission to carry until my new permit came in. It was on Department letterhead. I guess renewals do not apply to this law. It seems in the time it took to write the letter they could of issued the permit. I will call again this week.

Guest docvantrease2003

renewed mine two weeks ago hope it comes back before my old one runs out done it 3 months ago because they are running behind