Glock Thumb Safety

graycrait

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After all the "Glock Butt" jokes they've heard over the years, if Glock had thought a thumb safety was a good idea he would have put one on long ago.

Draw fast and reholster slowly. There is never a need to do a fast reholster. And of course, keep yer dang hook out of the trigger guard. Jeez.

IMO the less safties the better. Now on a SA 1911, yeah...I can really see it, but that's about it.

I actually know a guy who shot himself in the butt with a Glock 17 reholstering it in his back pocket using a soft IWB holster. The bullet went thru 22" of his leg and came out behind his knee. Fortunately he was using a solid point in this, one of his 8 or 9 Glocks. He also has about 150 other handguns. The doc's at Vanderbilt, after about 1.5hrs work, told him that they see a lot of gunshots and that his was not too serious. That 115 JSP never hit a major artery, vein or bone. My buddy and his neighbor found the bullet lying on the bathroom floor. The bloody jeans he was wearing hang in the hallway so that he has to look at them several times a day to remind himself that he was stupid. Why was he using JSPs? He usually doesn't and the joke is if his house ever catches fire that the whole county will talk of it for decades. I had given him some particular JSPs to use for practice and he just happened to have them in this particular pistol. I've never seen a guy who had so many 1911s, DA revolvers, or single actions.

First, I am done commenting on any thread that has anything to do with Glocks. It is crazy how these things devolve, and it is a shame that we can't have a constructive conversation. I apologize to the OP. My comments lead to the derailing of your thread, and I will try my best to not let this happen again. I can assure you that this was not my intention.

You non-Glock types are so goody-two-shoes. I will never understand the persistence of non-Glock people to tell Glock owners how they need to carry their pistols.

I have re-read my post, and I in no way tried to tell anyone how to carry their gun. I simply pointed out there are potential issues that can arise with this type of firearm, that you have to take additional care to prevent these from resulting in a ND/AD, and that other firearms designs (and aftermarket add-ons as requested by the OP) address these potential problems. I don't care what you carry, or how you carry it, as long as it doesn't endanger me or my family.

I am not a Glock fan, but don't really consider myself a fan of any particular manufacturer. I have had Glock's, Sig's, Kimber's, Colt's, Kahr's, Beretta's, and HK's (and probably a few more) that have had 1,000s of trouble free rounds. All are great designs, and have their benefits and limitations. Taken as a whole, Glocks are no better or no worse than any other reputable firearm manufacturer. The OP asked about a device that may eliminate/mitigate one of the limitations of the Glock designs, and I simply offered my opinion about where such a device may be beneficial.

As stated previously, I have owned and carried Glocks. The Glock 30 may be one of the best CC platforms ever designed. 10+1 rounds of .45ACP is a lot of firepower in a pretty small package. My main complaint with the Glock is the grip angle, not their over-marketed and under-engineered safety considerations. I just don't shoot them as well in "real life" (rapid fire, simulated stress, multiple target) situations as I do others. This is why I don't own one now, not because I feel they are unsafe.

I'm just in total shock and awe that you manage to carry your Kahr without shooting yourself with it. Maybe you should get a thumb safety on that too. I mean, it is a "modern" firearm after all...

Maybe I am just lucky, or just take additional care when I choose to carry a striker-fired firearm.

Generally, it is people (like yourself) who don't understand or are willing to admit and appreciate the design limitations of their firearms that end up on the wrong end of an AD/ND.

Maybe I am just lucky, or just take additional care when I choose to carry a striker-fired firearm.

Generally, it is people (like yourself) who don't understand or are willing to admit and appreciate the design limitations of their firearms that end up on the wrong end of an AD/ND.

Geez. Get over yourself, man. With all the Glocks in the field that are issued duty weapons, you sure don't hear anybody screaming for an idiot switch. Maybe the rest of the world isn't wrong. Consider that.

One thing I will say is this.

If you carry a Glock as part of you job I would caution against modifying any other Glock you own unless you can do the same to your duty weapon. And if you don't carry a Glock as part of your job then you probably need to do the same modifications to all of your Glock's. The reason is muscle memory, you have built up a lot of muscle memory in the safe handling of your Glock as well as the procedure for presenting and firing the weapon. When you modify that procedure then you start out fresh again and have to retrain your brain.

If you have several of the same type of gun but each has its own procedure to get into operation then you are only asking for problems because your muscle memory is going to get confused. Those problems are only going to come up when time is critical. You will find youself either trying to switch off a safety that isn't there or pulling the trigger on a gun with the safety engaged, either scenario is costing you time.

I try to keep all of the guns I might carry functioning in s similar way. I carried a Glock as part of the work I did overseas, because of this I bought a Glock to carry and practice with when I was home to keep my muscle memory intact when not working. When I no longer did work that required me to use a Glock I sold my Glock almost immediately. Why? Because I no longer needed to maintain the muscle memory for working with a Glock. Since then I started carrying a 1911 again. I am used to and practice as often as I can with it to maintain muscle memory. Now I have purchased a non-1911 pistol but it has a very similar layout with a thumb safety. So far my muscle memory hasn't offered too much resistance to the change but if I had to go back to a Glock now I would have a lot of work to do before I felt comfortable again.

And before the 1991 vs Glock argument starts I think both are equally good at what they do and it boils down to personal preference.

Dolomite

Guest monkeyhumper

I ONLY carry guns with 4 safeties.

Anyone caught using less than all 4 shall be hog tied and whipped.

1. Thumb Safety
  2. Trigger Safety
  3. Safety Dance
  4. Wascally Wabbit with his finger in the barrel.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez
I ONLY carry guns with 4 safeties.

Anyone caught using less than all 4 shall be hog tied and whipped.

1. Thumb Safety
  2. Trigger Safety
  3. Safety Dance
  4. Wascally Wabbit with his finger in the barrel.

Don't know if that last one should count as a valid safety. It always ends with a banana'd barrel.

REALLY??? Do you really propose to know what I do and don't understand about firearms??? Well, after 10 years of police experience (that includes training as a firearms instructor) carrying a firearm every day of my career, never with a safety engaged if installed, or carrying Glocks as an off-duty gun, I never had a single AD/ND. Why? Because I religiously practice safe firearms handling, inspect my equipment, and respect the design limitations of my firearms INCLUDING A THUMB SAFETY that is NOT a substitute for properly handling, storing, and carrying your firearm. If you are too irresponsible or stupid to carry a striker fired weapon without a thumb safety, then you probably shouldn't be carrying one at all. The simple fact of the matter is that a Glock can't be fired unless the person puts their finger or some other foreign object in the trigger guard and presses the trigger to the rear. I've seen and know of cases where people had all sorts of AD/NDs with firearms that had any manner of safety devices installed. It all boils down to personal responsibility. If you think a dummy switch relieves you of any portion of that responsibility, you need to rethink your carry strategy. It seems it is you that can't appreciate the design limitations of a firearm and want to manipulate the design because you aren't comfortable enough with your skills to carry a Glock.

I don't pretend a safety is a magical feature that will keep me from accidentally killing or injuring someone.

Illinois State Police was one of the first large Police Departments to use a semi-auto. It was the S&W Model 39. Cops wanted (and many still do today) a magazine disconnect for a reason and it sure wasn’t because of lawyers. :P

This is true. Some feel better knowing that in a struggle over their duty gun, they can drop the mag and render the firearm inoperable in case the bad guy gets possession of it. I personally preferred not having it because I didn't like the idea of not having the ability to get one shot off in case the mag was bumped loose or I hadn't seated it fully for some reason.

See, this would be an example of people appreciating the design characteristics and limitations of their chosen firearm.

This is true. Some feel better knowing that in a struggle over their duty gun, they can drop the mag and render the firearm inoperable in case the bad guy gets possession of it. I personally preferred not having it because I didn't like the idea of not having the ability to get one shot off in case the mag was bumped loose or I hadn't seated it fully for some reason.

See, this would be an example of people appreciating the design characteristics and limitations of their chosen firearm.

Yep. One of the comments I got from an ISP back in the day was about losing control of the weapon. He simply said that it was too complex for the BG's to figure out quicky enough to use it against them. It was a wheel gun world back then, bad guys and the majority of LEO's.

Guest smileyguy

It's a shame no one could answer the op.

My 2 cents. I hate thumb safeties. Wish more manufacturers made more decocker only models.

I want to apologize to all of those who read this thread. I never should have stooped to the level of personal attacks, and have sent a PM to the OP expressing my regret. The results are all too predictable, and I should have seen it coming.

If you google up Cominolli Glock Safety you will see threads pretty much like this on other firearm forums. The discussion usually degenerates into "he said, she said" sort of stuff and most posters adhere to the notion that a pistol should only be used as it came from the factory, then the discussion pits notions about 1911s and Glocks against each other. However, there are few folks who apparently use the Cominolli device and I have only seen one person who didn't like it. I am about ready to buy the jig and one safety and try this thing out. If I don't like it I can resell both, and enjoy a 3/32" slot in my frame. In the particular frame I am considering having the safety or not having it and having a slot won't make any difference in performance or aesthetics. If I like it I may put them in 4 of my 6 Glocks.

G19Sharkskin.jpg

That's the uglist Glock I've ever seen, and it ain't the safety. It's not about keeping a gun staock to me. A couple of my S&W's have been modified. Didn't change the manual of arms though. It's too easy to just buy all the knobs and switches you want as factory options. Can't fault you for giving it a try though, if it makes you feel like you're making the gun better. Sure looks like it won't get in the way of anything.