Glock Thumb Safety

graycrait

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a good addition to any Glock, but I can't personally vouch for the product.

Most AD/NDs with striker-fired arms (at least from the reports I have seen) tend to occur either when holstering the weapon or field-stripping. One of these devices would eliminate one of those concerns - holstering. You could activate the thumb safety when holstering, and deactivate it once the trigger is covered.

For me, holstering is one of the critical flaws of most striker-fired handguns. When you have a hammer, you can rest your thumb on the hammer as you holster the weapon. If anything catches the trigger, you will know it.

Having had many Glocks of my own and have worked over dozens of other peoples I get the "like or dislike" of the aftermarket thumb safety deal. I just want to correspond or talk to someone who has one and better yet installed one. I have no opinion on them as I don't have enough information. I would really like to put my hands on a Glock that has one installed.

Looks like a good addition to any Glock, but I can't personally vouch for the product.

Most AD/NDs with striker-fired arms (at least from the reports I have seen) tend to occur either when holstering the weapon or field-stripping. One of these devices would eliminate one of those concerns - holstering. You could activate the thumb safety when holstering, and deactivate it once the trigger is covered.

For me, holstering is one of the critical flaws of most striker-fired handguns. When you have a hammer, you can rest your thumb on the hammer as you holster the weapon. If anything catches the trigger, you will know it.

The only reason anyone has an AD/ND while holstering is because they are stupid. If you keep your finger out of the trigger guard when holstering like you should with ANY firearm, and if you make sure your holster properly fits and is in good repair like you should with ANY firearm, you won't have this problem. The other issue regarding field stripping is another example of stupidity and negligence in handing firearms. If you assure that your chamber is clear before pulling the trigger, you won't have any problems. In the case of the Glock using the scenarios you present here, a thumb safety is nothing more than a "dummy button" for people who shouldn't own a Glock, or any other firearm for that matter.

It amazes me the number of people who think the thumb safety should be added, but the vast majority of people who have thumb safeties on their firearms carry them with the safety off, which is the smartest move for a defense pistol IMO. This Glock safety issue is as dumb as the 1911 "cocked & locked" safety issue of a decade ago.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot
Guest BungieCord

Do they make them for revolvers?

No? Why not? After all, revolvers don't have a manual safety either. If you holster a revolver with your booger hook still on the trigger, it will go off, too.

So why do they single out Glocks? Because Glock is the best-selling handgun in the world, which means, statistically, more idiots own Glocks than any other gun. As a natural consequence, more NDs are reported from Glocks than any other brand of handgun.

And these people are marketing to your inability to see the significance of that fact.

You Glock types are so easily riled. I will never understand the reluctance to add an additional precaution.

So why do they single out Glocks?
Well, I wouldn't single out Glocks. I think there is a huge difference though when comparing to a revolver, DAO or DA/SA. When you have a hammer on the firearm, you have an easy way to verify that nothing is impacting the trigger when holstering. Also, the trigger pull is generally greater than 5 or 5.5 lbs on a revolver or DA/SA.

I have a Kahr that I occasionally carry, and have owned and carried Glocks in the past. I don't think they are inherently unsafe, you just have to be even more vigilant with these types of weapons.

There is no doubt that nearly all AD/NDs are caused by careless handling or complacency, especially with modern arms.

Edited by quietguy
added content
You Glock types are so easily riled. I will never understand the reluctance to add an additional precaution.

Just carry without one in the chamber. Why not carry unloaded? There are always additional precautions you can add to carrying a firearm.

Each person has a choice in how they carry a firearm. An unloaded gun is safe, but not very useful (if/when the need arises).

Guest BungieCord

Oh dear, how ever will I manage to sleep again?

I have one Glock, a G23 with a NY#1 trigger installed. As I normally carry a S&W revolver, the drill is the same, long hard trigger pull that can't be engaged accidentally.

The beauty of a Glock is the simplicity of its mechanical action. This thing looks like something to fail when my life depends on the Glock firing. I'll stick with the NY1 trigger and trigger finger indexed on frame drill.

Guest Ronbo

one problem with the glock design and sporting uses is getting your shirttail caught in the holster while holstering a loaded gun. That has caused a few AD/ND's with the striker fired design. I've almost had it happen to me but I felt the slight extra resistance and stopped to clear my shirt out of my holster. The main cause of AD/ND's with striker weapons is a loose nut on the trigger however! :lol:

A Glock can’t discharge without you pulling the trigger; it’s impossible.

I have read that time after time, posted on the World Wide Web by Glock experts, some of who have had Glocks for more than a year. So it must be true.

If you don’t trust your Glock or you think that "Glock Safe Action Pistols" is a joke; why don’t you just sell it and buy something with the kind of safety you want, and is better made… like an M&P?

You non-Glock types are so goody-two-shoes. I will never understand the persistence of non-Glock people to tell Glock owners how they need to carry their pistols. We choose Glocks because of what they are, not what some other person may prefer them to be. If you want to buy a Glock and put a "dummy switch" on it, have at it, but don't suggest that because folks like me don't want it on our pistols are inherently unsafe or too careless to carry a pistol without a thumb safety. Or better yet, why not just get something like a Springfield XDM that has a grip safety? By listening to some folks, one would think that there are millions of AD/NDs each year from those archaic unsafe Glocks. Funny how out of all the millions and millions of striker fired pistols out there these days, the number of accidental deaths from shootings has been on the decline. Maybe it's safer handling of firearms by owners, or perhaps that thumb safety is insanely more popular than I realize (however I wouldn't be willing to bet any money on that).

I'm just in total shock and awe that you manage to carry your Kahr without shooting yourself with it. Maybe you should get a thumb safety on that too. I mean, it is a "modern" firearm after all...

Edited by East_TN_Patriot
You non-Glock types are so goody-two-shoes. I will never understand the persistence of non-Glock people to tell Glock owners how they need to carry their pistols. We choose Glocks because of what they are, not what some other person may prefer them to be. If you want to buy a Glock and put a "dummy switch" on it, have at it, but don't suggest that because folks like me don't want it on our pistols are inherently unsafe or too careless to carry a pistol without a thumb safety. Or better yet, why not just get something like a Springfield XDM that has a grip safety? By listening to some folks, one would think that there are millions of AD/NDs each year from those archaic unsafe Glocks. Funny how out of all the millions and millions of striker fired pistols out there these days, the number of accidental deaths from shootings has been on the decline. Maybe it's safer handling of firearms by owners, or perhaps that thumb safety is insanely more popular than I realize (however I wouldn't be willing to bet any money on that).

I'm just in total shock and awe that you manage to carry your Kahr without shooting yourself with it. Maybe you should get a thumb safety on that too. I mean, it is a "modern" firearm after all...

It’s how things are done here when people don’t have the advantage of experience. How many times have you seen a magazine disconnect called a “Lawyer gun†by someone that did their Wally World Walk last month. They go by what they are told not what their experiencer is; because they don’t have any.

If you are going to choose a weapon that you are going to trust your life on; you need to base that decision on something other than internet BS. If you are going to have a weapon around your children you need to have a plan on how to do that safely. And if you continually see that one particular weapon is involved in AD/ND (whichever name gives you a warm fuzzy feeling) it is your responsibility to determine if that weapon is something you want around your family.

A Glock may be a fine duty weapon, and I guess it’s possible that every AD/ND attributed to a Glock was actually someone pulling the trigger. But I wouldn’t recommend one to a novice any more than I would recommend a 1911.

I think the warning label on an M&P that doesn't have a mag safety is a lawyer thing. Mag safeties aren't. My 30 year old S&W has a mag safety, and was built before lawyers ruled society.

Illinois State Police was one of the first large Police Departments to use a semi-auto. It was the S&W Model 39. Cops wanted (and many still do today) a magazine disconnect for a reason and it sure wasn’t because of lawyers. :)

Illinois State Police was one of the first large Police Departments to use a semi-auto. It was the S&W Model 39. Cops wanted (and many still do today) a magazine disconnect for a reason and it sure wasn’t because of lawyers. :)

I remember when they started carrying them. I knew a couple of those guys. I bought my 59 a couple of years later. Mag safeties don't bother me. I disabled the one in my M&P because it was required for an upgrade. my older Smiths still have them.

So, after all that is there anyone around Clarksville who has a Cominolli Safety installed on their Glock? pm me if you do and don't mind either showing it to me or discussing its pros and cons. I just want to know more about the Cominolli Safety for Glocks. Again, I have a handle on revolvers, thumb safety semi's and "safe action" pistols.

However, by all means feel free to keep posting about the sacrosanct brilliance of John Moses Browning or Gaston Glock and their pistol designs that need nothing to make them work better for some people. Quite frankly I think you are a wuss unless you use anything other than the "sling and the stone." OK, sarcasm aside, you are a wuss if you need anything better than GI sights on a 1911 anytime anywhere, use flat mainspring housings, use anything but short GI triggers, use ramped barrels or beavertails with rounded smooth "girly" hammer spurs. JMB didn't see the need, therefore you shouldn't either. Why aren't we still driving Model T's?

I remember when they started carrying them. I knew a couple of those guys. I bought my 59 a couple of years later. Mag safeties don't bother me. I disabled the one in my M&P because it was required for an upgrade. my older Smiths still have them.

My first M&P’s had mag disconnects, but the new ones I have don’t. I was told at the store that if I wanted them I would have to order them, they didn’t stock them because no one wanted them. :)

I have both a full size and a compact 40 with night sights (both mint) I would trade for like guns with magazine disconnects. But I’m not a cop working the streets anymore so I don’t guess it is as important. ;)

My first M&P’s had mag disconnects, but the new ones I have don’t. I was told at the store that if I wanted them I would have to order them, they didn’t stock them because no one wanted them. :)

I have both a full size and a compact 40 with night sights (both mint) I would trade for like guns with magazine disconnects. But I’m not a cop working the streets anymore so I don’t guess it is as important. ;)

Several of my guns don't have them. Personally, I like the fact that my M&P works like my Glock, since I tend to shoot those two the most.

mikegideon,

What does it say on the side of that 1911A1 lookin' pistol of yo'rn? Brazil-Imbel? Where is that.. must be near Cairo, ...Cairo, IL? Funny looking bluin' on the gun too. JMB mus' be jus' a spinnin'... Makes me get the shivvers, like a cold wind jus' blew over my soul.

Craig

mikegideon,

What does it say on the side of that 1911A1 lookin' pistol of yo'rn? Brazil-Imbel? Where is that.. must be near Cairo, ...Cairo, IL? Funny looking bluin' on the gun too. JMB mus' be jus' a spinnin'... Makes me get the shivvers, like a cold wind jus' blew over my soul.

Craig

Excuse the shiny sissy pistol. They had two choices that day... stainless or booger. Brazil is a few miles south of Cairo.