My First Bike

wipfel

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice.

Just ride carefully, and assume that everyone around you IS going to pull out in front of you, change lanes without looking etc. Most of them will, especially the ones with cell phones stuck to their ears. And definitely make sure you wear good protective gear. Have fun, and be safe!

Nice.

Just ride carefully, and assume that everyone around you IS going to pull out in front of you, change lanes without looking etc. Most of them will, especially the ones with cell phones stuck to their ears. And definitely make sure you wear good protective gear. Have fun, and be safe!

Great advice from Chazmar

In addition I recommend taking a MSF Course.

I've been riding for 30 years and I take a class every few years to keep my skills sharp.

I have been teaching motorcycle safety for 7 years and I want to pass on somr tips that hopefully

will keep you safe on the roads.

1. Always check your mirrors at stop streets and red lights. Bikers are getting rear ended by people not paying attention.

2. Intersetions are where you are the most likely to get hit.

3. Always make eye contact with cars comming at you in intersections. People just don't see motorcycles.

4. People talking on cell phones cut into your lane.

5. You can be 100% right, but you will be 100% dead. Watch out for cars and trucks.

Good luck, enjoy the open road but be aware of you surroundings!

Ray

My first bike was a Honda trail 70.

Had two cars pull out in front of me today. I run a light bar in front. So I'm burning three lights that seem to make zero difference lately.

Do check your mirrors for rear enders and expect everyone to pull out in front of you.

All good info in previous posts.

O-Yeah, nice looking ride.

I'm really enjoying my Vstar 650 Classic right now, but i definitely see getting something a bit bigger for some longer trips with the wife. The 950 is one I'm looking at. If that's the same 950 they had at AMS on 8th then I sat on that thing this AM. Beautiful bike!

It's nice. Very nice. Please be safe.

A man my dad used to work with raced sport bike professionally for a while. He told me when I was a dumb kid just getting into bikes. "Son, there's only two kind of motorcycle rider. ONLY two. NOT three, TWO! There's people who have had wrecks, and there's people who are going to have wrecks. If you ride long enough, it will happen." I beat the odds, I sold mine a few years ago and walked away.

On a side note, he's also the one who told me to stop wearing cheap $75-100 helmets. He told me "If you got a two dollar head, fine wear a two dollar helmet. My head is worth a tad more." He wore some $500 custom job. That was a lot of money for a helmet in the early 90's.

Edited by Caster
Guest tnfireman

As others have mentioned, be careful at intersections. When stopped keep your bike in gear and have an escape route.

Looks like a very nice ride!!!

Thanks to all the compliments and advice. I took my MSF class two weeks ago, and I'm still amazed at how much you can learn in so short a period of time. I spent an hour or so in the parking lots yesterday and today working on all the MSF drills.

I ordered a Scorpion EXO yesterday, and my mesh jacket and boots should be here tomorrow. I will be one of those ATGATT riders. I've worked ambulances and the ER in the past, and I'm too much of a wuss to go through more pain than I have to.

Smith, I got this one from Decatur, AL this past weekend, but if AMS has one now, I'm going to be annoyed. :) I shopped around here for a month trying to find a 2009 950 in silver. I even had those guys try to find one for me and have it shipped, but they could do it and stay in the right price range.

Once I get road-ready, I'm hoping to find some TGO folks that like to ride.

Thats beautiful!

I'm having a midlife crisis and with gas so high I've been wanting to get one. :)

Never ridden a full size bike in my life. Rode scooters back when I was younger.

Sith, my mom is thinking I'm having one now....lol.

I had ridden on a motorcycle once in my life before my MSF class. I was really nervous then and maybe more so when I first road my bike (terrified I'd drop it). Don't let inexperience scare you off, but definitely take a class first. After getting some experience I hope to go back and take one of the more advanced MSF classes. I'd love to go through the class with my wife as a passengermsince she's planning on riding with me eventually.

Got a new toy that's only slightly less dangerous than a firearm.

Don't mean to scare you I'm a motorcycle rider also. But its way more dangerous than a firearm.

I interviewed way more people involved in motocycle accidents or the people that killed them than I have shooting victims or shooters.

People don't look for you when they pull out or change lanes. On a cell phone, drunk, you just never know. Try to maintain a safe zone around you all the time; you never have the right-of -way.

Other than that... have fun. :)

I have ridden motorcycles since I was 4 years old, owned several from Harleys to Dirtbikes even raced on a few different circuits over the years. The best advice that i can give is that if your gut is telling you "DON'T GO RIDING TODAY" then dont I'm saying this from personal experience. The two bad wrecks that I have had I really didn't want to ride that day but did anyway. Be safe and have FUN!!!

Nice bike. Lots of good advice here. The MSF class is an excellent place to start. My meager additions...

Remember that not only everyone, everything is trying to kill you.

Got a $2 head? Wear a $2 helmet. You'll really like the Scorpion. I'll get one when my Shoei needs replaced.

Don't mind hobbling for the rest of your life? Then you don't need boots. Real, reinforced riding boots with ankle protection, not the crap they sell at the harley store.

Don't mind having to ask someone else to wipe your arse for your for the rest of your life? Then you don't need gloves. Again, real armored, gauntlet closure riding gloves.

June bugs at 70 mph hurt more than you think.

Guest Drewsett

Great looking bike! I finally got the wife to agree to let me have one, I just have to get us out of debt first...

She's got a few years to get used to the idea of me having one.

Great looking bike! I finally got the wife to agree to let me have one, I just have to get us out of debt first...

She's got a few years to get used to the idea of me having one.

congrats! going by my experiencing buying a bike, don't buy in March or April. the dealers didn't have any motivation to sell since bikes are moving on their own at this time of the year. i wish i'd decided to get one around October.

I am glad you took the MSF safety course. A funny thing my buddies and I talked about after the first class. We all learned from our "Friends" and we thought we knew

what we were doing. After 20 to 25 years of riding we didn't know how many "bad habits" we picked up!

We all thought we were doing the right things. I still catch myself doing the wrong thing after 30 years. But at least I

am aware of the wrong things and I can correct them. Things like keeping my fingers behind the brake leaver when breaking.

Good way to break your finger and prevent the lever to travel the full stroke.

Good luck and be safe!