Ruger p95

TN Outlaw

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am by no means an expert but there is alot of information out there. Google "how to shoot a pistol" and read up. Tons of information out there. Just stay away from all the tactical crapola and learn the basics.

This is one of the first things you'll find and it's a decent start...How to shoot a handgun accurately by Massad Ayoob Issue #85

It's easier with someone coaching you but with enough study you'll eventually pick it up.

Edited by Garufa
Guest rockyriverleather

I have one. They are a good 9mm. Heavy=less recoil, better realignment. It is very accurate, with a good reputation. And you got it for a decent price. Win!

The P95 was my first semi-auto; fun to shoot, heavy double action trigger, pretty good single action, not picky on ammo meaning I shot various types / manufactures with no issues. When cleaning make sure you don't forget to clean / lubricate the extractor. I had some failure to ejects and a little extra attention to the extractor fixed the problem.

Its not a target pistol and yes, the long trigger makes it difficult to shoot well at longer ranges. ALL double action semi automatics have sort of cruddy triggers, some worse than others (this one is mediumish) unless modified. If you want a really light trigger pull you want to get a single action; RIA makes a 1911 style 9mm if you like cheap guns, that would be an excellent target gun. Most target .22 LR guns are single action and are perfect to hone your skills.

Keep the ruger though. If you can learn to shoot it decently, you will be able to shoot most mid to large sized semi-autos well. Takes practice, but its a very worthwhile skill to have. If you can master a sloppy gun, you can do great things with a tight gun =)

By the way a gunsmith MAY be able to deslop the trigger. But watch out or youll sink $100 + into a cheap gun to make it a better cheap gun. Get a guess on what it will cost before proceeding down that path. You might can do it yourself if you spend a lot of time asking the right people the right questions so you can buy the correct parts & fit them in. Sometimes cheap guns can be fixed up cheap too, with a bit of creative gunsmithing, but get help / read up before tampering, find out what others have done and see if you can duplicate it, etc. For example, start reading about it here: P95 trigger work - Ruger Forum

Its not a target pistol and yes, the long trigger makes it difficult to shoot well at longer ranges. ALL double action semi automatics have sort of cruddy triggers, some worse than others (this one is mediumish) unless modified. If you want a really light trigger pull you want to get a single action; RIA makes a 1911 style 9mm if you like cheap guns, that would be an excellent target gun. Most target .22 LR guns are single action and are perfect to hone your skills.

Keep the ruger though. If you can learn to shoot it decently, you will be able to shoot most mid to large sized semi-autos well. Takes practice, but its a very worthwhile skill to have. If you can master a sloppy gun, you can do great things with a tight gun =)

By the way a gunsmith MAY be able to deslop the trigger. But watch out or youll sink $100 + into a cheap gun to make it a better cheap gun. Get a guess on what it will cost before proceeding down that path. You might can do it yourself if you spend a lot of time asking the right people the right questions so you can buy the correct parts & fit them in. Sometimes cheap guns can be fixed up cheap too, with a bit of creative gunsmithing, but get help / read up before tampering, find out what others have done and see if you can duplicate it, etc. For example, start reading about it here: P95 trigger work - Ruger Forum

Thanks for the info i might look into that

Congrats on the new P95 they are great guns and everyone is right there's alot of info on google concerning shooting accurately. When i first started to shoot i read a whole lot and tried different things and found what worked for me.