Going on a road trip got and got a question.

Guest sthorpe

Guest sthorpe

Im planning on taking the family to Florida and will drive through Georgia as well. Now I know that both states recognize my carry permit, but my question is if I get stopped along the way do I have to tell the officer in those states that I'm carrying? In TN you dont have to, but some say just to tell them anyway. Whatcha y'all think? Thanks.

Steve.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sthorpe

Thanks for the reply. I carry concealed unless Im going to the range so thats not a problem. Where do you go for your info on carry laws? I have been going to handgunlaw.us

made that trip several times (grandparents live in FL.) I have never worried in the states mentioned above. GA "feels" more carry friendly than TN imho.....i see more people carrying there than in the tri-cities. Anyway, i went through Atlanta about two weeks ago. I NEVER take the bipass--however--there is a construction project on 75 in downtown Atlanta right now. Took me almost 2 hours to clear the city. You might want to check the progress of the paving project before picking a specific route.

Guest gtmatt

I live in Georgia. I have noticed in the past that handgunlaw.us has several incorrect/misleading statements on their Georgia summary. I have not looked lately to see what the status is. I would not trust NRA-ILA, as late as they are to the party on legislation and how they have tried to block/gut really good bills. They seem to be somewhat clueless here about how the laws need to be changed, so I wouldn't trust what they have to say about what is legal or not. The best place to learn about Georgia firearms laws is georgiapacking.org. There is a forum there if you have detailed questions, but start at the "Gun Laws" link at the top. There is a section for "gun laws in plain English" where there is an explanation of how the laws work, including how case law affects them.

To answer your specific question, no, there is no duty to inform LE that you have a weapon. A recent (I think ~2009ish) court case made it clear that LE cannot disarm someone at a traffic stop just due to being armed. There must be some other circumstance that makes the officer believe a person is also dangerous before that can be done. Also, they cannot search your vehicle just because you have a weapon.

Guest gtmatt
GA "feels" more carry friendly than TN imho.....

Based on the recent research of y'all's laws, I have this belief also. In Georgia, posted "no guns" signs mean nothing legally (you have to be told to leave), which I think is the biggest advantage here. Of course, a location may have a sign and still be off-limits, but it has nothing to do with the sign itself. Churches are all banned, as are government buildings (except, oddly, any buildings in a state park). It is legal to drink while carrying here (not saying I think it's a good idea, as I don't drink at all, but it is more free).