Barrel bushing issue...

Guest supergus

Guest supergus

My SIG 1911 Revolution Compact has 200 flawless round through it, but as I was cleaning it the other night, I noticed some galling on the bottom edge of the barrel bushing(what might be considered the seat) at the 3:00 and 9:00 positions. Any ideas what might be causing this? Like I said, I haven't had one failure and the accuracy is dead on.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest darkstar

Not sure I am understanding this right but you could try putting a light ring of oil around the barrel, about a 1/4 inch from the muzzle. That will get some lubrication between the barrel and the bushing and will likely seep down into that area.

Like I said I'm probaly not correctly understanding exactly what the issue is, but I have done this on a regular basis with both my 1911's and have had no issues such as yours. Hope it helps.

Guest supergus
me thinks you need to send me the gun...it looks dangerous, I dont want you to get hurt... :D

uhhhh.... nope!:cool: I love this gun, it's a real pleasure to shoot!

Guest supergus

Completed my TN HCP class today (classroom part was excrutiating:snore:) so I got home and cleaned my gun. I figured out that when the slide cycles back during each shot, the bottom of the barrel bushing is bottoming out on the barrel, right at the point where the barrel's O.D. is machined down. As you can see in some of the pics I ran a red permanent marker around the edge to make it easier to see. When I took it apart today after my class, the marker was not gone, meaning it appears that it didn't bottom out today. Is it possible that the tolerance is so small that it may bottom out for awhile? Sorry about all the questions but I thought I'd get some input since it's the weekend and nobody's home in New Hampshire (at SIG) Do you guys see a problem machining down the bottom rim of the bushing a couple of thousandths?

Edited by supergus
Completed my TN HCP class today (classroom part was excrutiating:snore:) so I got home and cleaned my gun. I figured out that when the slide cycles back during each shot, the bottom of the barrel bushing is bottoming out on the barrel, right at the point where the barrel's O.D. is machined down. As you can see in some of the pics I ran a red permanent marker around the edge to make it easier to see. When I took it apart today after my class, the marker was not gone, meaning it appears that it didn't bottom out today. Is it possible that the tolerance is so small that it may bottom out for awhile? Sorry about all the questions but I thought I'd get some input since it's the weekend and nobody's home in New Hampshire (at SIG) Do you guys see a problem machining down the bottom rim of the bushing a couple of thousandths?

at first blush, its easy to say yes..but if its the wrong spring, or just a stiff spring that will wear in, I would say polish up the bushing to get the dings off of it, run a few hundred more rounds through it..if its still dinging..change the spring or send it back to sig and let them do the work.

Guest supergus

Talked to Victoria at SIG. She's gonna send me a new bushing. She said I could try machining the old bushing down and see if that works, although she recommends not machining any part of the gun (liability issues) If that doesn't work, I'll have a new bushing to put in.