Carpenter bee loads

Guest Longshot1

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

SO,

time to try some .38 spc carpenter bee loads tomorrow.

I already have a can of Unique or Accurate #5 opened up.

About 3 grains powder, fill remainder with walnut media ?

The rubberized gasket material makes very easy wadding. I drilled out a primer hole a bit, then chamfered/debured to a sharp edge. A tap or two with a rubber hammer against a block of wood. Cuts great. (mark the new "tool" with colored tape to avoid losing or reloading it). 30 carbine case makes a good tamper.

Edited by R_Bert

I have already been shooting a few.

I am actually go to use it as part of training. I plan on drawing and firing at the bees rather than the normal slow, aimed fire. Brings a whole new level of difficulty to killing bees.

I will say that 9mm makes it infinitely more difficult compared to 38 or 357 because of the reduced capacity.

Dolomite

Well, I ended up using 5 gr of AA #5 3 gr of AA #2 for the first set, and filled the rest of the case with walnut litter (!1/6 or 1/5 TSP.. ~75% of the .38 case) in thumb level compression. We will see how it plays in the morning. I think I'll wear safety goggles....

They look real good anyway.

edit - think I have settled in on 3 gr AA#2

Edited by R_Bert

Well, I ended up using 5 gr of AA #5 3 gr of AA #2 for the first set, and filled the rest of the case with walnut litter (!1/6 or 1/5 TSP.. ~75% of the .38 case) in thumb level compression. We will see how it plays in the morning. I think I'll wear safety goggles....

They look real good anyway.

edit - think I have settled in on 3 gr AA#2

a carpenter bee & a yellow-jacket so far. 3.0 gr AA#2 is operating fine on the revolver, however 2.5 gr is not sufficiently hot enough to prevent primer backout.

I've got plenty of carpenter bees. You'd see me on the evening news if I tried this here in Nashville.

I guess this is one of the many benefits of living outside of city limits.

aye, Metro would frown on us shooting in Davidson. I use foaming termite stuff. Just fill up their holes and they come back to "kill" themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

a carpenter bee & a yellow-jacket so far. 3.0 gr AA#2 is operating fine on the revolver, however 2.5 gr is not sufficiently hot enough to prevent primer backout.

I've had zero primer problems with 2 gr of Bullseye, CCI small pistol primers in my .38 Special S&W Brazilian model.

Sent from my MZ604 using Tapatalk

SO,

time to try some .38 spc carpenter bee loads tomorrow.

I already have a can of Unique or Accurate #5 opened up.

About 3 grains powder, fill remainder with walnut media ?

The rubberized gasket material makes very easy wadding. I drilled out a primer hole a bit, then chamfered/debured to a sharp edge. A tap or two with a rubber hammer against a block of wood. Cuts great. (mark the new "tool" with colored tape to avoid losing or reloading it). 30 carbine case makes a good tamper.

I tried 3 grains of Bullseye with some corn cob media for shot,and the gasket material for wadding.I tried cutting it out like you do,works great!

Jeff

Guest Longshot1

Started out using the walnut media then tried grits. Using 38 special in Lcr now with rice. Rice will punch holes all the way through drink can at 10 feet so all hand gun safety rules must be followed. 6 shots, six kills Friday with 5 c bees and a red wasp. Really like the idea of quick draw to even the playin field. Buggers do get wary after a couple of shots but they are persistent. If younevervsawca board length wise thatbthey bore out you would post watch 24/7. They are destructive as heck.

I find this all too intertaining. I tried this because I surely thought my marksmanship skills were a tad to the good and ya'll were at least a bit serious.

Well....I fired 5 .357 rounds at a "Red Wasp"....when he fired back by landing on the side of my head I really considered turning the gun on my self and shooting to put the both of us out of our miseries!!

It's back to the range.....better yet, I'm done shooting at bees....

I find this all too intertaining. I tried this because I surely thought my marksmanship skills were a tad to the good and ya'll were at least a bit serious.

Well....I fired 5 .357 rounds at a "Red Wasp"....when he fired back by landing on the side of my head I really considered turning the gun on my self and shooting to put the both of us out of our miseries!!

It's back to the range.....better yet, I'm done shooting at bees....

using wadcutters ?

Has anyone tried a "cap and ball" revolver yet? I might, but it won't be with a red wasp....we have a truce agreement!

I've had a truce with wasps before, until one of them stung me in the face. You just can't trust 'em. I wiped out their entire village after they broke the truce.

• Like 1

If I can get pictures to post, I will post a picture of the Bumble Bee I took with my Ruger "Old Army" .45 Black powder revolver. I got him today with one shot at about 7 foot....d**n I love this new sport!!!

Any good recipes?

I can't wait for "Junebug season" to come in.....It's all ya'lls fault too!