1st purchase in 19yrs

Guest Cobra

Guest Cobra

After listen to my boss telling me I need to start carrying for 2 yrs. I spent about 3 months looking for a new handgun. Well I decided on one that was in Flordia and had it shipped to a local FFL. Gun was just sexyy. Filled out the paper work and was denied. OK... I kno what the problem was and did not worry about it. After the 15 days I called the TBI and started to find out why they havent called yet. Some how or another the fax did not go thru from the FFL. Honest mistake but learned my lesson as do it yourself!! After the TBI gets the fax, in less than 24hrs the denial was over turned and I could go pic up my new pistol. Shoots good and really like it.

What I am asking...I had a arrest a few yrs ago but dropped on the 1st day of court....but the arrest still show on my record. I am looking at gettin my permit and want it to go smoother than the purchase and waiting longer than I should. Which department do I need to contact to get this taking care of or was it taking care of when the appeal was over turned. I did a search but not really what I was looking for.

Thanks for any help

Edited by Cobra
spelling
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My son had the same problem.

He had to contact a lawyer in the county the arrest occured to get it removed from the records.However,I do not remember if he paid the lawyer for this service.

After listen to my boss telling me I need to start carrying for 2 yrs. I spent about 3 months looking for a new handgun. Well I decided on one that was in Flordia and had it shipped to a local FFL. Gun was just sexyy. Filled out the paper work and was denied. OK... I kno what the problem was and did not worry about it. After the 15 days I called the TBI and started to find out why they havent called yet. Some how or another the fax did not go thru from the FFL. Honest mistake but learned my lesson as do it yourself!! After the TBI gets the fax, in less than 24hrs the denial was over turned and I could go pic up my new pistol. Shoots good and really like it.

What I am asking...I had a arrest a few yrs ago but dropped on the 1st day of court....but the arrest still show on my record. I am looking at gettin my permit and want it to go smoother than the purchase and waiting longer than I should. Which department do I need to contact to get this taking care of or was it taking care of when the appeal was over turned. I did a search but not really what I was looking for.

Thanks for any help

Thanks for any help

The arrest will always show on your record; I would guess it is the disposition that is not showing.

I had the same problem; charge was dismissed but the disposition never made it into the system 20 years ago. Mine was a misdemeanor charge of having a gun in my car that would not have been a disqualifier anyway. I contacted the Circuit Clerks office in the county were the case was; they entered it in the system (Feds), and sent me copies of the court records showing the disposition. I haven’t had any problems since and got my HCP and C&R.

I will add… After having never been turned down in Illinois or Florida on many gun purchases, I was turned down twice in Tennessee. Both times I appealed and the purchase was approved. Talking to TBI was useless. I contacted them several times and they told me that Illinois was reporting my arrest as a felony. I called Illinois State Police and they said if that was the case the TBI couldn’t read a criminal history.

I decided to try to get my C&R before I tried for my HCP; that way I would only lose $30 instead of over $200. :)

I’m glad I did. I got aletter for the ATF telling me that that while my charge was not a disqualifier; there was no disposition and they couldn’t approve without it. They told me to contact the Circuit Clerk and get certified copies showing the disposition and to also let them know what was going on so they could fix it. The Circuit Clerk said they entered the disposition in the system, they sent me certified copies for the ATF and an additional set if I ever needed them again.

I got my C&R and HCP and haven’t had any problems during a purchase since. Hope this helps.... Good Luck.

Guest monkeyhumper

I was denied in TN as well. Took me more than 6 months to get it all sorted out because of a dismissed arrest in 2003. Dave has good advice, I would sort out the certified records (The ladies at the State handgun office were very helpful, but very SLOW.) before even applying for your HCP. From what I gather, as long as the FBI has record of your case, and that it wasn't domestic violence or something, you shouldn't have too much trouble. It's only when there's a hiccup that things slow to a crawl.

Guest Cobra

Thanks for all the replys. Seems it happens on a regular biases. Found some stats on the tbi website. It is the disposition. Few pics for yall, it fits me very good.

IMAG0387.jpg

IMAG0390.jpg