Hunting Help.

Ok..where to start...I've decide to go try my hand at turkey hunting. I've never been hunting period, let alone turkey hunting. I've read most of the TWRA handbook but I have some questions. I plan on using a Benelli Supernova with an undetermined shot. I will be purchasing a sportsmen license as well. I'm in Knoxville and will go to one of the TWRA plots here (probably forks of the river). Let's say I get lucky and shoot a turkey...where do I take it (to get a tag/stamp or whatnot)? Someone to process it? Do I need an orange vest? I see all the pictures of people hunting without them...any help would be appreciated. If you feel like you need to PM me, feel free. Thanks in advance.

Also, if anyone wants to go with me next week let me know!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was in E TN and not Mid TN, I'd be happy to go with you. I don't know hardly anything about hunting myself and have never been, but I'm looking into it. I know when I was a kid my grandfather always wanted to take me hunting with him but my mom wouldn't allow it. I was pretty upset about that, especially when he died of lung cancer when I was 12. I can remember thinking about the amount of time we could've spent together if my mom had let us go hunting. To be fair, the entire reason he wanted to take me hunting is because I could call turkeys and get 'em to call back without any kind of turkey call device. Anyway, bbot trying to hijack your thread, so I'll give an attempt at an aswer in good faith. From what I've read just about any shotgun shell is legal for use on turkeys. Don't quote me on that though.

ROAD TRIP! :)

I have found an answer that the orange vest is NOT required for Turkey hunts (correct me if I'm wrong) and I found a check place close to me. I guess most of my confusion is just never doing this and I really don't want to get in trouble with the TWRA.

Guest GunTroll

You need a mentor or incredible patience. Either will do. Read the regs and then get with a lawyer to decipher them to you because TN is like that. To me anyways.

Good luck!

Guest BEARMAN

I'd go with number 4,5 or 6 magnum copper plated turkey loads in the Supernova.

Only wear a piece of orange when you're toting out your prize turkey from the field. Your choice on that one, however.

You really don't need a processor...

You can just filet the breast off the bird, after you make the vertical cut through the center of the breast...the legs are usually to tough on a wild turkey anyways.

When done, you'll have two large slabs of boneless breast meat.

You can go to the TWRA website and check it in online, if you can't find a check-in station nearby.

Good luck...shoot straight...come home safe.

-Bearman

Edited by BEARMAN
more info added...

John; I will say you are jumping in with both feet. I have been hunting since I was 12yo and without a doubt turkey hunting is the toughest to master. I have been able to take several nice birds in my time but always with the help of a caller. unlike deer hunting you will not be very successful going in the woods and waiting for one to walk by. You need to be really good with the calls and be able to convince the turkey your a better piece of a** then the hens he is with. and even then they can and will hang up just out of range. I agree whole heartly you need someone to take you and help with the fine tuning of your turkey skills. Wish I could be of more help. Good Luck.

If you haven't taken your hunters safety course then I believe you must take it before you can hunt. I may be wrong but I think you have to take it if you haven't already.

That is correct, if you were born after '69 IIRC. I believe you can get a one-time one year waiver.

Game wardens have started checking these in the last few years. If it is on record with TWRA, it will show on your license. If not, you have to have your card.

Guest TnRebel

one of the most important things is pattern you gun with what shot you plan to use and try for a head shot to save the meat . and not muck up the tail if you plan to mount it.