Stones River Range banned pistols

Guest TCNTN

Guest TCNTN

I went to the Stones River range on Saturday (4/9) - my first visit there. They would not let me shoot my pistols on the 50yd range. I have been thinking about trying bullseye shooting. So I bought some 50 yd targets and headed to the range. Big disappointment. Is this common? Where does one practice?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not common. Most places designate rifle vs pistol ranges but usually its "OK" to use either weapon on either range. Most of people with powerful rifles don't *want* to shoot at a 20 yard target on the pistol range but a few 223 or 22LR or similar rifles are used on those. Most folks do not shoot long range pistol but pistol hunters and bullseye shooters DO and at most ranges this is welcomed.

Bullseye has an alternate set of rules for indoor ranges that use smaller targets. You can use those just fine, though it won't help you sight in your gun for the longer ranges, it will let you practice the discipline of the sport. If you have nowhere else to go.

But look around for another outdoor range --- most of them, in my experience, will allow a pistol on rifle ranges.

You might also try talking to the range officer or somone in charge about the rule. Explain that the sport requires 50 yards and that pistol hunters need a place to practice so they can remain competent and make clean shots, so long range capable pistols should be allowed for up to 200 yards at the very least.

That's some big pile o :) right there. I know at CHMR centerfire rifles are not allowed in the pistol pit, but I was shooting my Ruger bisley @ 100 yards [just goofing off] and as long as they hit dirt, it's perfectly acceptable.

I dunno what their reasoning is, but it's flawed and bassackward.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

Definitely stupid on their part, but I guess if it's their range they can use their rules. If I were in the area I might have some suggestions for alternate shooting locations, but as it is I can just share your frustration.

I shoot my AR in the pistol pit quite often. Never knew it wasn't allowed. I think things have changed since Charlie took the range over. He is a little more laid back about that kind of stuff. His only requirement I am aware of for pistols or full auto is hit the backboard or berm. I have shot at 100 yard there with pistols.

Guest BungieCord

You might change the title of this thread so it STOPS making regular patrons of SRHEC think they no longer can shoot their pistols there.

I shot a .44 Mag on the 100yd rifle range at Stones River. The RSOs were fine with it as long as it was hitting the berm. I certainly had plenty of room on both sides of me when I let it loose on the pistol range.

I went to the Stones River range on Saturday (4/9) - my first visit there. They would not let me shoot my pistols on the 50yd range. I have been thinking about trying bullseye shooting. So I bought some 50 yd targets and headed to the range. Big disappointment. Is this common? Where does one practice?

This is a special circumstance. You should talk to Tim. I can see why the rules would exists. They have a big problem with folks shooting up the woodwork, even on the rifle side. If you are going to compare their rules to another range, it needs to be one with similar facilities, and a similar number of shooters. Don't know if you'll find one in Tennessee, though.

AFIK, you can't shoot hanguns on the rifle range at Southside either.

I shoot my AR in the pistol pit quite often. Never knew it wasn't allowed. I think things have changed since Charlie took the range over. He is a little more laid back about that kind of stuff. His only requirement I am aware of for pistols or full auto is hit the backboard or berm. I have shot at 100 yard there with pistols.

Yeah, he's a great guy and doesn't care where you shoot your pistol as long as it impacts the berm. BUT, I asked him if I could test out the last AK I built in the pistol pit because the rifle range was packed and no one was in the pit. He said he would prefer I did not. I understood, and went on to shoot my pistols. I've always taken that as a sign of his regards toward rifles in the pit. Who knows.

Guest 6.8 AR
This is a special circumstance. You should talk to Tim. I can see why the rules would exists. They have a big problem with folks shooting up the woodwork, even on the rifle side. If you are going to compare their rules to another range, it needs to be one with similar facilities, and a similar number of shooters. Don't know if you'll find one in Tennessee, though.

AFIK, you can't shoot hanguns on the rifle range at Southside either.

Southside might let me shoot my AR pistol at the

pistol range if no one else is there, but as a rule,

no. I haven't tried to shoot a pistol at the rifle range.

Some things have been changing at Southside,

lately, falling more in line with TWRA I guess, so

I'm not sure. Some of the RSO's are a bit more

cautious unless they know you well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southside doesn't have the movable wooden target stands, or the wooden shields that try to prevent you from shooting over or under the berm. But, they don't have sailboats on the other side of the berm either.

At least, I would count on Stones River giving you a no BS answer about why the rule exists. They have been straight up with every question I've asked if they knew the answer. On thing you can count on with Stones River... they have seen every dumbass move that can possibly happen at a gun range. A lot of those rules are there because of what Gomer did with his new Glock one Saturday. It could simply be that they run so many waiting lists, that mixing gun types on the two ranges would open a huge can of worms.

Southside doesn't have the movable wooden target stands, or the wooden shields that try to prevent you from shooting over or under the berm. But, they don't have sailboats on the other side of the berm either.

At least, I would count on Stones River giving you a no BS answer about why the rule exists. They have been straight up with every question I've asked if they knew the answer. On thing you can count on with Stones River... they have seen every dumbass move that can possibly happen at a gun range. A lot of those rules are there because of what Gomer did with his new Glock one Saturday. It could simply be that they run so many waiting lists, that mixing gun types on the two ranges would open a huge can of worms.

You and I still need to get out there together some time. :D

Guest 6.8 AR

Yeh. There was an incident at Southside an acquaintance my son nicknamed "Biker Santa"

with poor safety handling that got some rules to be enforced more strictly. I don't blame

them at all for the rules considering some of the folks that visit.