Leaked pics of the Ruger 1911

KahrMan

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the different makers of the 1911 out there I wonder if they thought a mediocre, high priced pistol would do well. I have never owned or shot a Ruger that I would consider better than any of its competitors, at least not without a ton of work and money. I suspect this pistol will be the same as every other offering they have, higher priced than anything it is designed to compete with yet no where near as nice as those same competitors. I am surprized it took them this long to make a this especially since the 1911 has been around for as long as it has.

Don't get me wrong, Ruger makes some very durable and reliable guns but the cost vs quality vs accuracy isn't there. They make good guns but the price they ask for them is more than what it should be considering what you get.

I know they haven't released a projected price but I suspect it is going to be well above any pistol that would be comparable to this.

Dolomite

It isn't a rumor.

Ruger has actually been making 1911's for two decades or more though Pinetree Castings. They have a much more sophisticated facility than S&W, thus Tier1 comment above...they make some very surprising products for some very surprising companies (Porsche and NASA being two of them)

There are two other guns that are coming out along with the 1911, but you won't hear from me what they are. One of them won't be unexpected....one will.

I love Ruger, and if they make money, great, but it seems like a "We wanna slice of pie too" like their AR. THey may be some of the best, but Jeez, how many makers of 1911's [and AR's] does a country need. It makes for a daunting task when a person not in the know wants to get into the game.

I love Ruger, and if they make money, great, but it seems like a "We wanna slice of pie too" like their AR. THey may be some of the best, but Jeez, how many makers of 1911's [and AR's] does a country need. It makes for a daunting task when a person not in the know wants to get into the game.

I guess we only need one car manufacturer too huh? or one furniture company?

Competition is never a bad thing.

Ruger makes it a practice to stamp their entire owner's manual on the slide of their pistols in very large font.

After thinking about it for a while, I don't believe that my SR9c has the billboard. Someone who has one in front of them can confirm but I'm relatively sure the billboard is only on the 22s.

An importer, mostly.

- OS

I was under the impression that Springer was importing bare frames and assembling them here. And I think some of the higher end frames are made here. That only applies to the 1911 line though. The XD's are definitely imported.

After thinking about it for a while, I don't believe that my SR9c has the billboard. Someone who has one in front of them can confirm but I'm relatively sure the billboard is only on the 22s.

You are correct. The 9c has a small warning on the frame on the right side.

As to the 1911, I'm quite certain it will be a damned good one!!

I was under the impression that Springer was importing bare frames and assembling them here. And I think some of the higher end frames are made here. That only applies to the 1911 line though. The XD's are definitely imported.

Depending on where, what, when you read up on them, some are totally made and assembled in Brazil, some are partially assembled there, some from all imported parts here, whatever -- as you say, all frames come from there, etc. Lot of importation for an iconic American gun.

Frankly, I've always thought it was pretty poor form for a company to simply buy their name from a previous iconic US company to begin with. Half the folks out there think Springfield is the same company.

Didn't keep me from buying 3 XD's, though. Them Croats build a solid heater. :)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
With all the different makers of the 1911 out there I wonder if they thought a mediocre, high priced pistol would do well. I have never owned or shot a Ruger that I would consider better than any of its competitors, at least not without a ton of work and money. I suspect this pistol will be the same as every other offering they have, higher priced than anything it is designed to compete with yet no where near as nice as those same competitors. I am surprized it took them this long to make a this especially since the 1911 has been around for as long as it has.

Don't get me wrong, Ruger makes some very durable and reliable guns but the cost vs quality vs accuracy isn't there. They make good guns but the price they ask for them is more than what it should be considering what you get.

I know they haven't released a projected price but I suspect it is going to be well above any pistol that would be comparable to this.

Dolomite

What do you find that Ruger produces that is "mediocre"?

Their single actions, both fixed sight and adjustable sighted versions are well established as tough, accurate guns that many people, including Bowen use as the base for custom builds.

Their piston driven AR is one of the best on the market, and is by far the most affordable of the piston guns in the "they actually work" category.

Their 22 pistols are legendary for accuracy and durability.

Their double action wheelguns are very near indistructable.

The only product I might give you is their bolt guns. While not head and shoulders above the rest, they are at least on par with other decent makers.

At least in my opinion. So you make take it for what it's worth.