scope for my mosin???

TN Outlaw

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

300 yards would be about 15 X magnification for an average shooter. If you are skilled, 10X may be enough. Most of my scopes hover in the 7X power and are just fine at 200 yards for a fist sized target. At 100 yards 7X is good enough to shoot a dime with some practice.

I do not hunt by my understanding is that 100 - 200 yards is about right for this area due to thick woods and terrain. Longer shots are harder to come by (?). Im sure an actual hunter can correct me if I messed that up!

• 2 months later...
Guest robinsonfam1

i have a buddy that used a UTG rail that mounted onto rear leaf site. no drilling. he used a 4-16x50 scope. it was awefully uncomfortable though. the eye relief is too short to reach and see through. yes it worked though. he also had to have bolt mod or bent bolt.

if you go bent bolt expect to pay around $75 for it. If you decide to mod the bolt then i recommend buying a bolt online and modding that one so you dont mess up value of matching numbers/bolt/gun. this again will cost you around $75. otherwise the kit is around $25-35 to mod a bolt.

to make everything right with the best results: get a side mount that the mosin was designed for then add scope of your choice. (yes you will still need a bent bolt/modded bolt). this will give you the most accuracy, comfort, and enjoyment. again this will modify the gun that could possibly take away from the value.

HTH!

i have a buddy that used a UTG rail that mounted onto rear leaf site. no drilling. he used a 4-16x50 scope. it was awefully uncomfortable though. the eye relief is too short to reach and see through. yes it worked though. he also had to have bolt mod or bent bolt.

if you go bent bolt expect to pay around $75 for it. If you decide to mod the bolt then i recommend buying a bolt online and modding that one so you dont mess up value of matching numbers/bolt/gun. this again will cost you around $75. otherwise the kit is around $25-35 to mod a bolt.

to make everything right with the best results: get a side mount that the mosin was designed for then add scope of your choice. (yes you will still need a bent bolt/modded bolt). this will give you the most accuracy, comfort, and enjoyment. again this will modify the gun that could possibly take away from the value.

HTH!

My smith recommended using a pistol scope with that sight replacement rail, said the long eye relief would be about right. I have not yet gone there but am headed in that direction.

There are also a couple of other no-drill options. These guys have one of the best I have seen (in pictures): SMA Scope Mounts Home Page

I would try to avoid bending the bolt if possible. I certainly will not be bending mine.

Guest robinsonfam1

i wouldnt bend the bolt either, but you can buy them like that or cut off the handle and screw a new one on. its kind of hokey but it works.

my friend started with the long eye relief scope and mount. it was very hard to keep everything lined up while on a deer walking. most pistol scopes are small diameter objective and only around a 4X.

in my mind i would buy the side mount, and the bent bolt with a decent scope and mount it all correctly. after using the other set ups, to me this is the only way to do it.

My pistol scope is adjustable up to 7x power with a decent sized optic, takes me out to 200 yards roughly. But it was pricy, about $300 if memory serves. TN wanted cheap so that approach is limited as you noted to smaller, weaker pistol scopes. The larger diameter and power scopes cost more at an alarming rate, while rifle scopes can be had in decent powers for fairly cheap prices.

I would think the trouble with keeping lined up on a deer would be the 20 pound rifle, not the scope setup ... :D

I did mine with the replacement rear sight mount and a long eye relief scope. Also put mine on an ATI stock. I really like it and is far more accurate than I am. Haven't shot it out past about 150 but I do like it. I am considering doing another the same way and shortening the barrel.