M1A VS Barret Rec7 6.8 spc

Ebow1

Ok, so I'm pickin' up more hours, gettin' a decent paycheck again, and I'm sittin' on about $900 from sellin' stuff on Ebay that I can't move for about a month because I'm a new seller. Here's the question, do I go for the M1A in .308 which, depending on model I might be able to afford as soon as I can get to the Ebay money, or do I save up for my dream rifle the Barrett Rec7 in 6.8 spc? I'm leaning towards the M1A due primarily to greater availibility and lower cost of ammo. Since I know people are going to ask this rifle is going to primarily be for disaster/zombie preparedness, and just shooting for fun. I'm really liking the Socom and SocomII models of the M1A.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I would go with the Barrett.

If you go M1A, I'd do a minimum of 18" barrel. You lose a lot on the 308 dropping back to 16. Be mindful of Springield Armory's M1A. I have nothing but heresay from folks I trust on this, BUT they have issues from time to time. Either get an older S/A or wait till you have more $$$ and get an LRB

The Gun Zone -- 7.62 X 51mm / M1A Catastrophic Failure

The Gun Zone -- M1A / 7.62 X 51mm kB! Analysis

Good read ^

I would go with an M1A Scout. I have one and like it a lot. I have a 6.8 I built. The ammo is pretty pricey if you don't reload, but I have a Type06 FFL and get components at dealer cost. That helps a lot.

.308 ammo is pretty plentiful and can be found readily.

That REC7 is going to set you back... A LOT. Think $2400

If the REC7 is your dream rifle I would save for that. You are not going to be completely happy until you have it.

But for me personally, I would much rather have the M1A. I would get a Springfield Scout, but again that is just personal opinion.

A REC7 is just another piston AR. You can get into one a heck of a lot cheaper, a lot cheaper and come out ahead for ammo and mags.

I picked up a REC7 at the gun show in Knoxville this past weekend. Just a standard AR M4 style lower with a Magpul MOE stock, upper with chromelined barrel and I believe it was a Daniel Defense rail. Just add an Adams Arms or Osprey piston kit and save almost a grand. I built my midlength piston rifle with a LaRue rail set up almost just like a REC7 but mine has an Adams Arms piston kit. The barrel is Bravo Company. I saved enough to set a used ACOG I bought on the AR15.com equipment exchange on top of it.

But that's one guys opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it.

Edit to add: When I say I pick up a REC7 at the show, I meant just handled it at the table. Not bought one.

Edited by 50 cal
clarification
Guest 6.8 AR

The REC 7 looks bad and all that, but I have to agree with 50 cal. The 6.8's I've built(and none

are pistons) cost about half the price of a Barrett. Unless they corrected it the twist is a 1:10, which

is a little fast for a 6.8x43. 1:11-1:12 is preferred. I'm sure that otherwise it is an awesome rifle,

but there are quite a few superior 6.8 rifles. for that kind of money, I would by a Noveske 6.8.

I will eventually get my hands on an M1A. I love those rifles.

I've decided on the M1A, now the question is model. I'm REALLY leaning towards the Socom II with the urban camo design. The 6.8 is still a caliber I'm going to own someday, but until I do my own reloading I already know I wouldn't be able to take it out shooting near as much as I'd like to. Plus I think it's a good idea to have an expensive dream rifle, it'll keep me from spending my money as soon as I get it.

The SOCOM has one heck of a bark out the muzzle. I have an M1A Scout and couldn't be happier. I don't have optics on it, but prefer it that way for the Scout. I've had plenty of mags for it for a long time and spare parts if needed.

The extra 2 inches of barrel in the Scout model will make use of the oomph the 308 round has. 16" in the SOCOM seems a bit weird to me.

I've heard the same thing from classmates, but I've also heard the exact opposite from classmates. (Before you dismiss my classmates as irrelevant sources who know nothing about firearms, keep in mind I'm in a police science degree and have a decent amount of classmates who are gun nuts). I got a buddy out of Texas who has shot one of the Socom models and says he absolutely loves it. My plan was to get an M1A Socom II, and mount a folding bipod and pistol grip on the bottom. If I do go with a Springfield M1A, that's how I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna get that urban camo bastard, deck 'im out how I like, and give 'im a name that honors my ancestors.

Be careful about the M-1A, you can never have just one. You will love it no matter which you one you decide to purchase. I started a thread about deciding about getting a M-1, M-1A or an AR-10. I now have 2 M-1A's and a M-1 Garand.

Guest mustangdave

I've been JONESING for a SOCCOM 16 ever since I first saw one...the 16 inch babies are intended for CQB situations...but I'm sure you know this. I like the SCOUT model as well, and agree with 50CAL...that extra 2 inches of barrel will give you a bit more OMPH!!! I shot the M14 in the Navy as part of the SAT/BAF Team aboard ship...so I'm kinda familiar with em...though these days I feel a bit neutered shooting a MINI14...I'll get me an M1/A one of these days...