CZ82 assembly, really that bad?

jcj

Thinking about refinishing a CZ82 in Duracoat. I found a decent guide online, but I keep hearing horror stories about how difficult the CZ82 is to put back together.

Any TGOers tackled one? Is it really that bad?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The frame mostly, its just got a lot of parts that have to be just so to reassemble -- the big trick is order of operations which the online guide really nails. Without it, I probably would have needed a smith's help.

Just to update this thread: I decided to give it a go. Just finished disassembling everything tonight. That's the easy part I suppose. My CZ82 now consists of about 15 ZipLoc bags of parts. I'm paranoid I wont remember where things go so I separate parts into bags and label all the bags with the parts they contain.

I really need to get a better punch set.

Routine field-stripping is very easy and no problem. The biggest problem for American shooters is they try to remove the slide stop. Do NOT REMOVE the slide stop!!!! It is not part of routine disassembly. There is a little spring that hods it in and activates the bolt hold-open. If you try to remove the slide stop, you will break that spring and cause yourself a lot of heartache. I bought a CZ82 very cheaply because someone had done that. The part was very cheap (I probably could have made one), but the installation was a royal PITA. Even with the proper instruction, it took about an hour to make the repair. (Hint: use a little tiny dab of axle grease to hold it in place while assembling)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to working on this project. The white bits in the first pic are just dust particles. It didn't turn out "perfect", but overall it looks much better than chipping paint. I used the Duracoat "Shake N Spray" kit that comes with the Preval sprayer. The kit was $29.95 from Lauer Weaponry and it isn't bad for the price. I found the Preval sprayer difficult to work with, but it was able to do an acceptable job considering the price point. If I do any more (or this one again) I think I will invest in a quality compressor and airbrush kit.

I plan to let everything dry a few more days before I reassemble.

2011-04-30%2018.12.56.jpg

2011-04-30%2018.12.41.jpg

The black is "Combat Black." Somewhere between matte black and gloss I think.

Thanks, Erik! This was my first attempt at duracoat. Looking forward to trying it on something else.

• 4 months later...

I got one apart right now. Hopefully, I will be able to reassemble it! I still have the opportunity to change it now, but I kind of like the two-tone scheme.

KG Gun Kote (Flat Black and Brushed Stainless)

2ytwhvn.jpg

Finished it! (see below):

xp3q0y.jpg

Edited by Reg
I got one apart right now. Hopefully, I will be able to reassemble it! I still have the opportunity to change it now, but I kind of like the two-tone scheme.

KG Gun Kote (Flat Black and Brushed Stainless)

2ytwhvn.jpg

Looks good! I like it.