Spanish CETME in .308

Ebow1

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After the War, german engineers were running for their very lives. Well, it is my understanding that some fled to spain. While there they further developed the design of the roller locking system. These were likely the guys who had helped develop the STG44. See H&K likes to claim the design as all German, and from a certain point of view it is, but spain was producing the CETME long before H&K did. Or so my understanding goes.

I had one made by Century arms. It was like anything else made by Century. It was garbage. These rifles are NOT for folks who reload. The fluted chamber that aids in extraction, make it difficult to resize and basically just destroys brass.

I did some online research right after I posted this, found out the CETME did come first, and I heard about the brass problems. However, I don't do my own reloading and it seems as long as I chamber 7.62x51 NATO, I shouldn't expect any problems. I did hear some bad things about Century, but I also heard a lot of people saying they've been shooting one for years without any problems, so it seems to be a toss up in that aspect.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Laufer

Reading a very large number of reports describing serious problems with Century's CETME immediately persuaded me to avoid being 'hard-headed' about buying one. This was a year ago.

The other major hang-up for me is the price of .308/NATO 7.62 and reloading issues. My only reloading is for .303 (just neck-sizing), but am about to reload LC 30-06 M2 Ball.

Instead of a CETME, I bought a Service Grade Garand from the CMP, and it was the best gun decision I've ever made, along with original Enfields.

My first gun purchase was in late '07 at age 52, having done No Research at all, to my regret. That was the first and last time. Now, reading on numerous websites and chats with highly-experienced friends

(one retired from the Navy Marks. Team) is done before any rifle deal.