Interesting article on open carry from Shotgun News

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen to the article and East Tn Patriot's comments. OC may be used against us when it is done inappropriately. We all need to think about the long term effect, not just our personal belief. I am not saying do not OC--that's your choice and I will defend your right to do so--just put some thought behind your actions.

I OC occasionally(always when hiking and usually when heading to the range and back) but I can see how it could have repercussions. Some of the guys over on Opencarry.org really concern me. They walk around with voice recorders and video cameras just waiting to see what kind of s*** they can stir up. I don't think OC should be done to make a political statement.

I do want to point out that I have had really positive experiences while OCing and that I think it has a lot to do with what state or city you live in.

I also get the argument that the social climate won't change until OC becomes more common, but walking down the street with a rifle over your shoulder and a pistol on your hip just to make a point is hardly the way to win folks over. Extreme behavior NEVER serves your cause well.

Nevermind the open carry stuff, his assumption that anyone with a long gun (unless in hunting garb) is a nut job is insulting. Perhaps you are on a shooting sports team, your kid is with you, and you want to grab a book to read because you know the kid will be bored after about an hour of watching guys shoot at paper. Maybe you just bought it a the gun show and stopped into the place for whatever. Maybe you are making a point in a none to subtle way about your 2nd A rights. There are thousands of reasons the guy could be harmless, and just as many reasons he could be a nut. I would tend to think, though, that a guy with a long gun pointed down and not being "brandished" (whatever that really means) is more harmless than the guy up the street with a zip gun in his pocket waiting for me to pass by in hope of getting my wallet... no matter what, you can see the idiot with a rifle and he stands out and everyone in a 50 yard radius is aware of him and his actions. The guy with a pistol in his pocket, the first anyone knows of it is the gunshot sound, and it takes them another few moments to even figure out WHO has the gun and where it came from, by then 3 or 5 people are down.... much worse scenario.

Guest kirkosaurus
Some of the guys over on Opencarry.org really concern me. They walk around with voice recorders and video cameras just waiting to see what kind of s*** they can stir up. I don't think OC should be done to make a political statement.

I've been hanging out over there a lot lately and I agree, some of those guys are just plain scary and are hurting the cause. OC'ing when possible as much as possible and being polite about it, especially to LEO, goes a long way.

I always come across as a naysayer when it comes to open carry. Fact is, it's totally ok in a lot of places. The trouble starts when someone carries into the wrong place, and it winds up having a negative impact on all of us.

hence the idiots in that article that carried long guns into the library. :grouchy:

Why??

hence the idiots in that article that carried long guns into the library. :grouchy:

Why??

To make a point. One commonly used practice to protest something is to do exactly that, to blatently go against the rule as a political statement. A peaceful demonstration, so to speak, so long as the gun is not used by anyone in a threatening manner.

I cant say that I approve of it, but that is the idea.

Nevermind the open carry stuff, his assumption that anyone with a long gun (unless in hunting garb) is a nut job is insulting. Perhaps you are on a shooting sports team, your kid is with you, and you want to grab a book to read because you know the kid will be bored after about an hour of watching guys shoot at paper. Maybe you just bought it a the gun show and stopped into the place for whatever. Maybe you are making a point in a none to subtle way about your 2nd A rights. There are thousands of reasons the guy could be harmless, and just as many reasons he could be a nut. I would tend to think, though, that a guy with a long gun pointed down and not being "brandished" (whatever that really means) is more harmless than the guy up the street with a zip gun in his pocket waiting for me to pass by in hope of getting my wallet... no matter what, you can see the idiot with a rifle and he stands out and everyone in a 50 yard radius is aware of him and his actions. The guy with a pistol in his pocket, the first anyone knows of it is the gunshot sound, and it takes them another few moments to even figure out WHO has the gun and where it came from, by then 3 or 5 people are down.... much worse scenario.

I've stopped places on the way home from the range and gun shows but I didn't ever find it necessary to take my rifles in with me. Maybe all of the above scenarios COULD happen, but this was a planned demonstration by an open carry group so in this case we know for sure that they didn't.

Considering the simple fact that the majority of people today aren't used to seen others routinely carrying a firearm around with them in the open coupled with all the nutjobs/crazies that HAVE engaged in mass shootings and the general lawlessness of society today, I don't think it should really be all that surprising that some people may react badly (or at least with some concern) when they see someone openly carrying a firearm. I'm not saying people "should" react in a negative way; just that the reaction shouldn't be unexpected.

In any case, purposely trying to stir up a negative reaction by openly carrying does no one any favors and likely puts all legally armed citizens in a bad light.

Edited by RobertNashville
Guest 270win

It might be legal, but might not be smart to bring your long gun around with you out of the truck into buildings in some states. Unless you are by a gun store, people in populated areas find that out of place.

I have talked to older relatives, some who are now not alive. I am pretty confident open carry of handguns in public has not been done in Arkansas in 100 years. Concealed carry has been tolerated that long even though in many cases illegal. 70-90 years ago you would not see someone openly carry a handgun. You would, however, have folks concealing pocket pistols and revolvers with the police looking the other way. This went on until licenses became available in the mid 90's and still goes on in rural areas.

Do I think people back home felt like their rights were violated because they couldn't open carry say 75 years ago? It doesn't sound like they thought much about it because they could get away with hiding a handgun and the whole legal establishment/police let it slide.

Sometimes I think those folks back then had more freedom because they truly could do what they wanted in reality. No worries about where not to carry and no paying money to the state.

Edited by 270win
Guest TackleberryTom
Sometimes I think those folks back then had more freedom because they truly could do what they wanted in reality. No worries about where not to carry and no paying money to the state.

+1

A lot of truth to that statement.

Guest TN_Mike
I've been hanging out over there a lot lately and I agree, some of those guys are just plain scary and are hurting the cause. OC'ing when possible as much as possible and being polite about it, especially to LEO, goes a long way.

Agreed. And well said.

Guest carter

OMG is this dude serious...don't think he wins many verbal conflicts... come on... if I go to a gun show...and stop by a store to get gas or groceries... you think I’m going to slap my new AR-15 or over/under 12ga in the shopping cart and CARRY IT WITH ME... what idiots... WHY DO YOU CARRY A GUN? is the real question...to gain attention? for protection? to test the laws? these people are missing something in there lives... or not many branches on the family tree... and what is there to protest? its perfectly legal to open carry... people protest when there is something wrong with laws and its not legal to do something... personally I think open carry is idiotic... STUPID! your surely giving away your element of SUPERISE... me ;) if I saw someone come in a regular store with a freaking LONG GUN I would take cover and have my hand on my weapon... cause CLEARLY this guy is missing the special sauce on his big mac... that’s like me dawning my gear (tacticool) vest and having my drop leg holster on... and saying "o, honey I’m going to the store for some milk" something is seriously wrong with that... Just doing something to make a point or just because you can shows major dysfunctional issues… you don't see me wearing 1980's short short basketball shorts, head band, long stripped tube socks, and converse shoes out in public...why... it draws attention to me...and well its JUST NOT RIGHT

Edited by carter