S&W .22 L.R. CTG. Revolver 6 Shot

DocZombie

This gun belonged to my grandfather, who passed nearly 40 years ago and my father recently gave it to me. It has S/N (?) 4140 at base of grip. On the frame under the cylinder is stamped 23 366. Also has 4140 stamped on the cylinder. It has smooth wood grips with adjustable rear sight and two screws on the top. The frame appears to be blued with stainless or nickel cylinder and barrel (1.5 or 2.0 in. bbl), I think. I can't find info on this in blue book or online. The model 23 in the books is .38 spl. If anyone has any knowledge of this gun, it would be appreciated.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree on needing some photos. Is there a letter in front of the 4140 on the grip base? Does the cylinder swing out for reloading or does it tip up?

When you open the cylinder - that is where 23 366 is stamped. No letter in front of 4140 and cylinder swings out.

Whatever it is....looks like a model 34 custom rebarrel and cylinder or taken from another j-Frame.

An adjustable sight, .22 j-frame, with a 3" barrel and lanyard loop is certainly an interesting gun. It has a target hammer and square cylinder release also. Very cool gun.

I wouldn't ever part with it if I were you. You will never see another like that one.

Edited by I_Like_Pie

Thanks, since it is essentially a family "heirloom", I will hold on to it. I have a memory of it in "lower" upstate NY in the area where my grandfather lived in the late 60's. There was a coyote hiding in the rocks that was terrorizing the area and he shot it with this gun. I remember watching and thinking, "that thing is going to richochet and kill him!"

Enough of that sentimental crap!! Anybody else? It does sound a bit like a modified 34.

That, my friend, is a Smith and Wesson pre model 34 PINTO! If original, and it looks to me to be, you have a quite rare and valuable piece. It would be well worth your while to request a letter from the Smith and Wesson historian, Mr. Roy Jinks, to verify the originality of the gun. Thanks for sharing! That's quite a piece. Could it have possibly been purchased at Rex Firearms in New York? Is there any chance you could locate the box it came in?

Edited by gregintenn
That, my friend, is a Smith and Wesson pre model 34 PINTO! If original, and it looks to me to be, you have a quite rare and valuable piece. It would be well worth your while to request a letter from the Smith and Wesson historian, Mr. Roy Jinks, to verify the originality of the gun. Thanks for sharing! That's quite a piece. Could it have possibly been purchased at Rex Firearms in New York? Is there any chance you could locate the box it came in?

This! Get the S&W letter. This gun deserves it.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757825_-1_757814_757812_image

Thanks for the info. I am definitely getting the letter on this. I have no idea where or when he got the gun and no chance on a box. This was his carry gun and it's been stored in a box in his leather belly holster for 40 years. Incidentally, no markings of any kind on the holster.

• 1 month later...

Okay everyone who may still be interested, I received the letter from Roy Jinks, the historian at S & W. I won't bother scanning both pages but here is the last paragraph:

"We have researched your Smith & Wesson .22/32 Kit Gun Pre-Model 34, Flat Latch, Four Screw Side Plate Variation, caliber .22 Long Rifle revolver in company records which indicate that your handgun, with serial number 4140 was shipped from our factory on May 5, 1955, and delivered to Cabot & Webster Co., Yonkers, NY. The records indicate that this revolver was shipped with a 2 inch barrel, two tone blue and nickel finish, and smooth rosewood round butt grips."

As far as the value goes there is a version that is valued at $2,675 at 98% and then there is mine which is valued at $675 AT 98% (just for comparison as I grade mine at between 70%-80% and a value of $300-$350). It figures although I would never sell it but one of my rotten kids might after I am gone!!!!!

Oh yeah, I still owe gregintenn pictures of the holster so I'll have to get it out of the safe.

If the condition is as good as it looks from the photos, your gun is worth a hell of a lot more than $350, unless you want to sell it to me! I would think double that would be a more reasonable price, do your research!