Calif. city to eliminate all police use of force

Reposted from Police One .com

Taking Training to the Next Level

with Ed Flosi

April 01, 2011

Calif. city to eliminate all police use of force

Editor’s Note: Before you go writing me or the author of this column any angry emails, please note the date of publication — April 1, 2011. Now, enjoy a chortle or a chuckle courtesy of the PoliceOne Editorial Team. Happy April Fool’s Day!

In response to a special interest group’s claim of police officers using excessive force in arrest situations, one city in California has developed a new strategy to help eliminate the need for officers to use force at all. One members of the group “Defy and Resist” told PoliceOne that officers should never use force simply because a person is exercising their “rights.”

When asked to explain which right he was referring to, that member became suddenly confused. The man then became agitated and could only shout, “I know my rights” over and over again until he lost consciousness. Eventually another member suggested that officers should respect their rights to physically resist any attempts to take them into custody as an expression of free speech.

Mayor Bud Toker of Greenleaf (Calif.) proudly announced his new plan at a news conference today stating, “Admittedly neither the leaders of ‘Defy and Resist’ nor I am an expert in police practices or the legal system, but since I am the boss I can make the rules.” Toker stated also that being arrested is an inconvenience and that he feels there should be a more customer friendly alternative.

Under the new rules, if an officer meets “any resistance to arrest by (1) physical action, (2) stated intent to physically resist, or (3) general feelings of unhappiness regarding the arrest” the officer will immediately disengage and tell the subject that he/she will not be arrested today. The officer will then schedule a more convenient time for the arrest with the subject.

Toker is confident that his new plan will not only ingratiate himself with the special interest group but will also significantly lower the frequency of complaints about use of force. Proudly pointing to his risk management approach, Toker proclaimed, “How can there be a complaint about force if the officers are not allowed to use force?”

“This is a couple of days late but good none the less”

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in my local court house last week getting some NFA papaerwork signed. As I stood there I watched people being scheduled to go to jail after being convicted in court. I asked the person scheduling why they schedule and she said if you didn't they would not show up on their own. I said what about taking them immediately to jail upon conviction. She said that doing it would be an inconvience and it was better if they were allowed to go home and make arrangements. It is almost like going on a vacation. It wasn't like the convicts were being allowed to wait a day or two but some were given months to show up to jail. One lady was allowed to schedule her jail time months ahead because she said "I want to be able to get drunk on my birthday", after hearing that the lady doing the scheduling scheduled it aroudn the lady's birthday.

This is the problem, we are being too soft and accomodating towards criminals, both during the arrest and after they are incarcerated. What should happen is any resistance to being arrested should be met with an overwhelming amount of force in order to gain immediate and unconditional compliance. This would reduce the number of officer injuries and possibly reduce the amount of injuries to arrestees. The longer a struggle goes on the more of a chance of both parties getting injured.

Once arrested the inmates should have very little. No access to the outside other than their attorneys. And any communicaiton should be done through writing or in person. Provide the inmate with the materials needed to communicate, a legal pad, a pencil and envelopes. No phone calls to the attorney where he can 3 way to the inmate's family. No visitation, televison, radios, books, or commissary. The food they get should meet nutritional requirements without regard to palatability or texture.

And when they go to court they must be required to wear the exact clothing they had on when they were arrested. No more looking nice for the jury.

Jail should be the biggest inconvience as well as the most miserable time in their life.

Dolomite

Guest mustangdave
Sounds like the police in the movie Demolition Man.

There hasn't been an MDK in Greenleaf for years...Be well Edgar Friendly

Guest db99wj
Complete silence should be maintained within the jails and prisons as well. The inmates of Alcatraz said that was by far the worst part of it.

Well not complete silence, the sound of hammers falling on rocks, trash being picked up, ditches being dug......:)

I actually managed to pick up that and the old cartoon version of The Hobbit on DVD from a Hollywood Video that was going out of business. I loved watching those as a kid, and if I ever get the opportunity, I'm training people to sing that and I'm leading the cadence.

Guest db99wj
Not really, i was right onboard with you for forced manual labor. It just brought to mind the song from the old cartoon movie.

I got it, just wasn't expecting that cartoon! LOL!