AK info needed

I have decided my inventory now requires the addition of a carbine. I'm looking for an inexpensive[/u ]entry level/starter ak. I don't have a problem doing some mods or add ons later (furniture etc.) so as to save a little in the now. The big problem is the fact that I don't know crap about them. what to get, where to look, what to definitely steer clear of etc. Any help from you folks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks as always.

Edited by adamween
Piss poor typing and grammar
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

WASRs are considered to be probably the "beginner" AK. Just make sure you look at one before purchasing it, they have a tendency to have screwed up (canted) sights. In the end, an AK is an AK. A $300 AK will probably shoot just as well and as reliably as a $1000 AK.

If you need a carbine, I would suggest the AR instead.

Unless of course you just want an AK, and then by all means cause you won't be happy till you do.

Absolutely love to have an AR BUT will have to wait. Probably be able to buy 3 AKs for the same price. Plus 7.62 vs. 5.56..

if your wanting an AK either get a WASR, or if your more adventurous buy a Saiga and convert it (the finished product will be better). A whole different route is to buy a Century Made VZ2008 (vz58)...they require a little cleaning and breaking in, but they are lighter and more ergonomic then an AK. (at least to me)

I can only speak to my personal experience. . my Maadi ARM was just fine. But let no one fool you all AK's are not the same. I didnt truly understand that until I got my Polytech AKS 7.62 Sidefolder. But getting a WASR 10 or a Saiga (and note I am not distinguishing between the two) is like going to a great resteraunt and getting a pack of crackers. .ie you might as well not have went. Good variant Maadis are still out there. . reasonably priced as well as some post ban chicoms. As far as a $300.00 AK performing the same as a $1000.00 that is not true. . just racking the slide on my polytech then a WASR or a Saiga leaves no doubt

I have had a few maadis and the saiga once converted is a much better gun. Not too mention its all Russian. If you do the conversion yourself it adds $100-150. Ymmv
+1 to this! Not sure what Saigas turkeydad's been shooting (perhaps ones with "slides" :)), but there is NO comparison between a WASR and a Saiga. A Saiga is a true Russian AK churned out of the same factory as the military versions, and there is no better value in the AK world than a sporterized Saiga that you convert yourself. Edited by Seaslug

I converted an older SLR-95, milled receiver, from a thumbhole stock to a real AK.

Might look for one of those or a Norinco thumbholer for a quality base.

before:slr1.jpg

after:slr2.jpg

Edited by blahX3
added pics

You should check out warriortalk.com and theakforum.net they are both great resources for AK info. Atlanfirearms.com has a nice selection of AK's and will at least give you an idea of what is available. The Saiga is a great rifle once it is converted but I would look around for a Norinco Mak-90 for about $400 and then put a US stock set, a G2 trigger group and a flashhider on it. The Chinese rifles are well made and they are a great value for the price. They are made with a 1.6mm(non-heat treated) stamped receiver rather than the standard 1.0mm(heat treated) you find on most eastern european kalashnikovs. In my experience the extra mass makes then feel slightly better in the hands and perhaps the extra rigidity aids in accuracy. If you have enough US made parts on it(6) you could even throw a east german(or romanian) side folding stock on there for a very compact fighting gun. While a $300 ak may be as reliable as a $1k one there is a huge difference between a entry level AK and those available from some of the top gunsmiths. As with anything you get what you pay for and the prices of quality Kalashnikov's has skyrocketed in the last few years. Best of luck to you.

Edited by Urse
punctuation
Guest bkelm18
As far as a $300.00 AK performing the same as a $1000.00 that is not true. . just racking the slide on my polytech then a WASR or a Saiga leaves no doubt

You are speaking of quality, not performance. I wasn't speaking of quality, only reliability. Obviously, if you spend $1000 on an AK I would hope you get a better product, however, in the end, it's still an AK. It isn't like spending $300 on an AR compared to a $2000 AR.

Edited by bkelm18
Guest blueflu

I run a Norinco MAK 90 with a Romi folder and Romi G. Spend the money and get a good one. Like most things you get what you pay for.

+1 for Warrior Talk.