Is there any way to get a boat looked at before you buy?

Guest (BH)

I'm about to buy a boat and I was wondering where a newbie-to-the-boat-world such as myself could get somebody to give it a once over before I buy.

It'll be my first boat and it's won't be anything fancy. I'm a gun guy, not a boat guy and I don't want to end up buying a money pit.

So what would be the best way to get it looked at?

What would something like that cost?

Look up a marine surveyor in your area. They will check it out and give you a written report. If the boat had any size to it and it stays in the water a survey may be required to insure it. Depending on the size of the boat it could cost several hundred dollars. If I remember correctly the last one I got was $300 or $400 dollars. This was for a 30ft twin engine cruiser with a gen set. Note: they can miss things. Don't ask me how I know that.

yep marine surveyor is the way to go. But I've bought several boats and never used one . I 'm not boat smart just been lucky I guess Boat pricing is Great right now You can buy one right especially in the performance line. Thats the reason I still have my twin engine Cat.

Well, I'm talking more along the lines of a lower end older bass boat. It's just a little 14' fiberglass tri-hull, nothing too fancy. So I can't see spending that kind of money on a surveyor.

I was thinking something more along the lines of some good ol' boy mechanic-type who could look it over and tell me whether or not he saw anything that looked like a major problem...

Do these guys exist?

Why don't you ask the person selling the boat to take you out in it? Tell him you will buy some gas and you guys go out and run it around the lake.

What brand of boat is it and what motor does it have in it? I'm working on a Mercury 150hp outboard right now. Outboards cost a lot more to work on than guns do. Ask me how I know.:)

I would not get a surveyor for what you are wanting to by. You may want to get a out board mechanic to check out the motor. As far as the boat goes the most important thing is the wood. The transom (back end) has plywood encased in figerglass. If water gets inside it will rot and is costly to repair. Tap on it with the handle of a screw driver. You want it to sound solid. It will also have wood stringers. These will be under the floor and will be encased in fiberglass. They will start at the transom and go most of the way forward like a frame. The stringers will be harder to get to and will be impossible in places. You do not want any rot here. Check for a soft floor. The floor is easier to replace but the sides of the hull has to be supported when this is done since the floor is part of the structure. The floor is glassed over on top but the bottom is exposed wood. Most anything else can be replaced without too much trouble but if I found rot I would move on. If you buy a used boat go ahead and budget some extra money above the purchase price to fix some things.

By all means have him take you out in it. Depending on where you plan on using it a 14' is fairly small and with all the boat traffic it gets pretty crazy "sometimes unsafe". A pontoon might be an option more stability and a little less maintenance. and alot more room, maybe a little more hassle to tow. Usually can be found priced right

Guest boatme99

boatman nailed it. Now let me put my 2 cents in, I spent 15 years on boats as my profession and I can tell you, unless you you have lots of disposible income, never buy a boat. The possible exceptions would be canoes or kayaks. There are plenty of folks out there with boats who would be willing to take you out anytime just for fuel money. Keep us posted.

^^^ I do appreciate your input and I'm sure you know way more about these things than I do, but I need to get off the bank this year and I don't know anyone who has a boat...

I'm a broke, young father who wants to be able to fish some spots that aren't already torn up.

Here's the deal: I went searching for a good old-fashion aluminum jon boat, but then started to consider an older bass boat. Upon the recommendations of some folks who know way more than myself (who have been very generous with info via PM, thanks guys... seriously), I've decided to stick with my original plan.

I don't know a darn thing about boats. I just want to be able to get out on the water. I'm trying to trade my Glock 20 and some cash for a decent boat, but I'm a total newb to boats. I've realized that anything I get is going to be somewhat of a gamble. As such, any advice is welcome.

It just seems like there has to be a decent boat out there that would fit my needs for what I have to offer. I just want something that could fit three people fairly well for a day of fishing at somewhere between $1200 and $2000. I have my G20 and about $600 now, but I have someone willing to throw in should the right deal come my way. It doesn't seem unreasonable that a good boat in that range is sitting around somebody's backyard right now waiting to be sold for half that...

Edited by (BH)
Guest db99wj
^^^ I do appreciate your input and I'm sure you know way more about these things than I do, but I need to get off the bank this year and I don't know anyone who has a boat...

I'm a broke, young father who wants to be able to fish some spots that aren't already torn up.

Here's the deal: I went searching for a good old-fashion aluminum jon boat, but then started to consider an older bass boat. Upon the recommendations of some folks who know way more than myself (who have been very generous with info via PM, thanks guys... seriously), I've decided to stick with my original plan.

I don't know a darn thing about boats. I just want to be able to get out on the water. I'm trying to trade my Glock 20 and some cash for a decent boat, but I'm a total newb to boats. I've realized that anything I get is going to be somewhat of a gamble. As such, any advice is welcome.

It just seems like there has to be a decent boat out there that would fit my needs for what I have to offer. I just want something that could fit three people fairly well for a day of fishing at somewhere between $1200 and $2000. I have my G20 and about $600 now, but I have someone willing to throw in should the right deal come my way. It doesn't seem unreasonable that a good boat in that range is sitting around somebody's backyard right now waiting to be sold for half that...

I've been around boats all my life, 14'-18' aluminum bass boats, with nothing larger than a 50Hp mercury. We use it for skiing, fishing, and cruising around. Yes you can pull a skier behind a 50HP motor. After my dad died, some things happened and our outboard died. I used that boat for several years afterward with just a "decent" trolling motor. For fishing, on smaller lakes, a good trolling motor and 2 fully charged batteries are all you will need. One used for backup. Yes it is a little more work getting it on the trailer, but you will be fine on most smaller lakes. When my mom remarried my step father bought a boat, with a 50HP Mercury. He used it a few times, and I used it more than him. For fishing, the trolling motor works great, but we were also able to use it for recreation and skiing. He died a couple of months ago and it looks as if his side of the family will be taking the boat. I will soon be without a boat. I have been looking online and have found some deals.

If your goal is to fish, the outboard motor might not be what you want, but enough to do what you need, as long as, and I say again, it has a good trolling motor. I've taken 2 of my kids out for several hours, and never cranked up the big motor.

Edited by db99wj

A warning about older outboard motors. There are a lot of parts that no one makes for these older outboards. I am working on a 76 Mercury 150 right now and just during my parts search have have seen a lot of "not available any longer" in the parts catalog.

Also look very closely at the wiring, both inside the motor and out. The boat I am working on has been inside its whole life, but the wiring is falling apart. You can just touch it and the insulation crumbles off. After doing some research I have found that Mercury used stainless wire in the 70's and 80's because they thought it would do better in a wet environment. But the stainess produced a corrosion which caused wire rot.

Guest db99wj

On thing I have noticed is that for the price of just a new outboard, you can buy a used 1990's to early 2000's boat, motor and trailer!

boat owners get rid of boats alot of times for good reasons not just because its worn out

they want bigger, smaller. faster, better economy ,don't go to the lake any more, easier yo load , inboard . outboard and so on .Boaters are never satisfied.

I counted I've owned 10 boats nothing wrong with any of them that I sold just wanted change. down to 2 at the moment.

• 11 months later...
Guest AmericanWorkMule

We're in the same "boat" BH.

I'd also like to find a 14'-18' aluminum boat, motor and trailer myself for the price of a nice AR.

On thing I have noticed is that for the price of just a new outboard, you can buy a used 1990's to early 2000's boat, motor and trailer!

Edited by AmericanWorkMule
  • Admin Team

I'd definitely start on the jon boat side of things. Being, a good used jon boat and 10hp motor will barely set you back $1000. It will meet your requirements to get out on the water, and you can see if you really like it. If you do, and want to move up, there's always a market for jon boats with 10hp motors. The same can't necessarily always be said for old bass boats.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AmericanWorkMule

What would any of you guys recommend to look over or make note of when looking at a used jon boat, trailer, and motor?

I've been told to notice any loose rivets or get an all weld boat.

With an outboard to take the cover off while it is running and look for leaks.

I'd get the owner to take you out in the water. Look for leaks. Ask if he has receipts for maintenance like carb cleanings,fluid changes for the lower end. Water pump replacement ? Is the prop chewed up? keel broken off lower unit? Dents in hull. Wood rotted in transom?

The trailer look for lights broken ,working/Not working,bearing caps missing or leaking? Tires dry rotted? Tongue bent?

I like Johsonson /Evinrude better than Mercury. Mercurys can be a pain to work on and get parts for. Mercurys can be hard to start as well.

Most of the asian outboards are pretty good. Yamaha is the best of all of them.

I can look at it for you depending where you are.

IMO, you've received good advice above but I'll throw out this. Look at the wiring and around the engine for rust and or corrosion, Stay with a known brand engine. Is the trailer rusted? How are the tires and wheel bearings? An aluminum boat has the advantage of simplicity but they have their own potential problems, loose rivets, corrosion and they're noisy.

Has the boat been used in salt water? If so, run. I don't want to sound too negative, but I can see a lot of searching to find what you're looking for in your price range if it exists.