almost had a kB!!!

Guest 10mm4me

Guest 10mm4me

I was shooting a Colt Defender 9mm yesterday and on the 4th round it fired way out of battery. The case ruptured and I got a face full of hot powder and copper. It was an awakening experience to say the least. I won't say where I was shooting, but I will say this, If you see a used Colt Defender in 9mm for $750, don't buy it.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Caught a round in the barrel of our 1911 45 this week, thankfully we noticed it, no harm done (came right out with a wooden dowel and a light tap). Nothing like a reminder to stay safe out there, these sorts of events are really "good" because they reinforce paying attention.

I had a Colt Defender in .45. It was absolutely the worst gun I have ever owned. It jammed more than a ten dollar copier. I have discouraged many from taking the plunge, but some just can't help themselves because of the pretty pony on the side. Everyone who didn't take my advice came back later and said they should have listened (even the guy who bought mine and said all the problems were probably operator errors).

Guest 10mm4me

I know exactly what was wrong with it. It had some cheapo aftermarket plastic trigger in it, which means some retard did a hack a trigger job on it and probably messed with the 80 series firing pin safety causing the hammer to fall and engage the pin before the slide was in battery. I was shooting this purely for novelty. I had no nor will I ever have any intention of buying a 1911 unless it is a 5" in .45acp.

I know exactly what was wrong with it. It had some cheapo aftermarket plastic trigger in it, which means some retard did a hack a trigger job on it and probably messed with the 80 series firing pin safety causing the hammer to fall and engage the pin before the slide was in battery. I was shooting this purely for novelty. I had no nor will I ever have any intention of buying a 1911 unless it is a 5" in .45acp.

It doesn't have to be 5" to be reliable if thats what your meaning...anyone who tells you that needs to get out from under their rock. Glad your ok.

I had a Colt Defender in .45. It was absolutely the worst gun I have ever owned. It jammed more than a ten dollar copier. I have discouraged many from taking the plunge, but some just can't help themselves because of the pretty pony on the side. Everyone who didn't take my advice came back later and said they should have listened (even the guy who bought mine and said all the problems were probably operator errors).

Ditto + 1. Actually I had the bad experience with a Colt New Agent. I got rid of it after 6 days of problems! Now I have a Kimber and am truly happy!:blink:

Guest Ken45

Yes, I am beginning to suspect that many (but not all) kabooms happen due to out of battery firing. A fellow recently had a semi custom .45 rupture a case like that. Not sure if it was a double charge but I'm thinking out of battery.

in 1999 I had a case rupture in a Sig P226/40 with a handload. It pretty much kept me away from 40SW and especially handloading the caliber until I just recently bought a Springfield EMP in 40SW. The EMP had a failure to fully chamber jam. The brass was slightly oversize. I have gone back and checked the Sig P226. It will drop the hammer almost a quarter inch out of battery!!!! That is downright scary.

I now have started running all my brass through a Lee "bulge buster" die which slims down the entire case. (Hornady I think makes a similar die that is more expensive but is carbide.) It's an extra step but I feel much safer about reloading 40SW. YMMV. The bulge buster can be used for .380, .40 and .45 but not tapered 9mm case.

Ken

Guest 10mm4me
It doesn't have to be 5" to be reliable if thats what your meaning...anyone who tells you that needs to get out from under their rock. Glad your ok.

Larry Vickers says it and he his one of the top 1911 smiths in the world. I know that there are reliable commanders and officer's models out there, but for the most part what I said was true.