Wanting to start bench shooting, looking for a Mosin Nagant

Diragono

Hello all,

I've recently decided I want to take up range shooting and just collecting guns in general. Before I start throwing money out the window for rifles, I want to buy a decent inexpensive one to practice my aim with. I'm not unfamiliar with rifles, or any weapon for that matter, as I used to hunt with a Marlin 30-30 and rabbit hunt with a 4/10 shotgun.

Anyway to the point, someone suggested a a Mosin Nagant M91/30 for a good range weapon to get my practice in as the gun is cheap and so is the ammo. I am wondering if anyone knows a gun shop in eastern Tennessee that sells these? It doesn't have to be the 91/30, I would take the m44(I think that's the model # for the shorter version?), but I would prefer the 91/30.

Also, is it common when buying these weapons to get the universal tool and ammo pouches that I commonly see?

Thanks for your time

EDIT: Also, I'm looking for a decent rifle range, preferably in the Chattanooga area, as I live in Meigs County. I know of the one at Gee Creek in Delano, I've been there once but I want more of a membership type range.

Edited by Diragono
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the cleveland club, its a bit of a drive from chattanooga but its where I decide to go. The chattanooga club is very similar. I think both require NRA memberships and active members to sponsor you (not 100% sure). Cleveland tops out at 200 yards I think, not sure, thats a bit much for a mostly pistol guy!

A cheap practice rifle is a 22 with a scope on it. From there just price the ammo and see where you can buy it ... a 223 can be had in non military styles and that ammo you can find anywhere and is decent for target practice (though it can be affected by wind somewhat). Mosins are very, very popular but I know little about their ammo supply, and have only shot other folk's guns. They shoot great and are low cost ($200 guns?). You can get a cheap gun in almost any caliber, though, a single shot 308 is also a 200-300 dollar gun and fine for target practice, and will go to quite an extreme range (hundreds of yards). Again, start with the ammo (price and avail) and pick the gun second is my advice.

Hi friend,

I just bought a 91/30 Mosin Nagant from Tri CIties Gun Depot in Elizabethton. It is in very good shape bore wise and the stock looks damn fine too. They are priced there for $125. They gave me the sling, 2 ammo pouches, a bayonet, and the tool kit. Most of the ones I looked at were 1943r, and some had all matching numbers and a few others had been re-stamped to match. All of them were in excellent shape. However, some had considerably more cosmoline present than others.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the quick responses! Jonnin, I'll have to check into the one in cleveland since cleveland is only about a 15 minute drive from where I live.

Rom, I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about tri city...I am definiately going to check them out this coming weekend.

Dou, Is the c&r license the one that let's guns over 50 yrs be shipped to your home?

Mdunn, I replied to your pm

I have never purchased a gun from a store before and was wondering the steps required? I see a lot of people talking about walking in, buying the gun, and leaving...but I thought some kind of background check was required? Is it because their an NRA member or some kind of member of something? Or do they only do background checks for handguns? Sorry new to the buying experience just want to make sure I have all I need the day I buy

Yes the C&R liscense lets you buy old guns directly as if you were a dealer. You could be a dealer with it I think, but most get it to buy personal gear, not 100% sure never seen a C&R only store. Theres a faq in that section of the site.

To buy a gun in TN you go to the dealer, pay him money, and pay for a background check, fill out a bunch of paperwork, but you can leave with your new gun in half an hour or less. Its not complicated, and with computers, a background check is all but instant.

HCP, hangun, rifle, NRA, doesnt matter. The background check is really just a tax, and you gotta pay it. All you need is your drivers liscense and be 21 and not be a felon.

Thanks Jonnin, I was acutally reading a post about the NICS system right before you posted, I'm glad it's not like an employer background check because I am very impatient lol. I plan to head to Tri-City this weekend, but will probably stop in Benton Shooters Supply to see if they have any and their price

The Mosin isn't much of a bench gun. Now sandbags/range bag + prone = XTC - sore shoulder or bruised pride.

If that was confusing, shoot it prone supported WITH the bayonet and sling. On the bench it is a punisher. Standing and kneeling it is tolerable. Even for my 10 year old son.