The feds want to tax you for every mile you drive.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They want more.

Of course they do. Our jobs and our manufacturing base are moving to other countries. Government either needs to get smaller or find new ways to tax those who are left working. They will choose to tax those that need to drive to work. After all you paid over $4 a gallon for gas a few years back; and you are willing to do it again. So.... there is money left on the table. Property taxes and sales taxes will be going up also; they have to.

Guest HvyMtl

The issue is this: The tax on gasoline was supposed to cover infrastructure and repair of roads. Which is all fine and dandy...

Except, now there are vehicles which get gas mileages that were not expected back when the tax was created. Worse, there are now cars which do not use gas at all.

So the (poor) idea is to keep up with the miles driven to charge everyone equally. The only way to do this is to track each and every car. So much for the idea of privacy, or protections against government.

Oregon legislature seemed to have created this idea...

Guest 6.8 AR

Don't count on this getting near being a law. It's just another wet dream from a liberal. You

shouldn't have to disconnect your odometer.

This absurdity has been floating around for several years.

If things ever get to that point (and they will eventually) I would also like to see my insurance rates and fees (of all varieties) adjusted to actual usage as well as property taxes, federal income taxes, etc.

Sounds like time to disconnect the odometer again!

The odometer won't be what they use to track. It is too easy to disable or change the number on. What they will use is GPS.

The last time this came up was when GPS was relatively new. They wanted to use the "new" GPS technology to track mileage. I remember California was pushing real hard for a state wide driving tax. The law would have required every car to have GPS installed at the owner's expense and at the time it wasn't cheap. This was probably the single most important reason it didn't go anywhere there.

Today there would be no reason to have GPS installed on newer cars. Most already have it as part of a navigation system.

And if you want to get an idea of what the feds will try and probably get away with look to California. There are a lot of laws that started life in California. Almost like California is a test bed for federal laws before they become federal laws.

Here is a California mileage tax article from 2004:

California's new DMV director wants mileage tax -- Engadget

One more thing, don't let them fool you by saying they will do away with the federal gas tax because it would never happen. The mileage tax would most likely be on top of any gas tax doubling the tax burden on us that are already stretched to the limit.

Dolomite

The issue is this: The tax on gasoline was supposed to cover infrastructure and repair of roads. Which is all fine and dandy...

Except, now there are vehicles which get gas mileages that were not expected back when the tax was created. Worse, there are now cars which do not use gas at all.

So the (poor) idea is to keep up with the miles driven to charge everyone equally. The only way to do this is to track each and every car. So much for the idea of privacy, or protections against government.

Oregon legislature seemed to have created this idea...

Except, look how many more cars there are today and how many more miles we drive now. My question is, do 100% of gas taxes go towards road projects. I am guessing that they may not...just like money put into SS got taken out and used for other things and now SS is going bankrupt (which it was going to anyway eventually because of how it was designed.)

Guest 6.8 AR
Except, look how many more cars there are today and how many more miles we drive now. My question is, do 100% of gas taxes go towards road projects. I am guessing that they may not...just like money put into SS got taken out and used for other things and now SS is going bankrupt (which it was going to anyway eventually because of how it was designed.)

California is broke, also. There are no trust funds in

the federal government. All the money goes into the

general fund and gets overspent by our liars in DC.

All of California's touchy feely laws are why they are

broke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest 6.8 AR

There is a proposal by the EU to ban cars

outright in cities by 2050, all over Europe.

See any similarities in stupidity from liberals,

yet?

yet?

I can see you on a bicycle now, with a bunch of AR's hanging off the back :devil:

Guest whoa5oh

i'll drive my gas guzzling 78 bronco right onto the whitehouse lawn park it get out and leave it before i pay another d*** tax for some politician to live off of my sweat and have his drvier pump gas i've paid for into his car i've paid for all while telling me what to do, i'm fed up with it, and i wish there were about 4.5 million others out there vocal enough to override the bs spewing from liberals mouths and the half truths handed down by so called conservatives. they don't care to harm us, why shouldn't we pay them the same respects?

yet?

This crowd in Wasington has got to go.

They are all brain dead. Enough is enough.

These power hungry, marxists, nanny state, nitwits

have got to be voted out of office.

Do people lose thier minds when they go to Washington?

This crowd in Wasington has got to go.

They are all brain dead. Enough is enough.

These power hungry, marxists, nanny state, nitwits

have got to be voted out of office.

Do people lose thier minds when they go to Washington?

What about the democrats?

Guest 6.8 AR

"These power hungry, marxists, nanny state, nitwits

have got to be voted out of office."

When you get them separated away from the Democrats, even the Democrats can stay.

Separating them is a big issue, though, so they need to go.