Thinking of getting into hunting

As I get more and more firearms, I think more and more about getting into hunting. I figure I've already got the guns for it. I'm wondering if a scoped m1 carbine would be a good hunting rifle. I'm thinking it would be good for smaller critters, squirrels and rabbits and such. I've already got a Blackhawk in .30 carbine so I'm really tempted to get an M1 carbine to go with it.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For small game, a .22lr and shotgun work fine. I don't think .30 carbine being "centerfire" would be suitable for small game. I think it would pretty much destroy the meat. Get off to a good start, and enjoy your hunting for a lifetime!

Anything too much bigger than a .22 LR or similar is going to vaporize small game. Even a 223 is going to leave little for you to eat unless it goes clean thru (sometimes it does and sometimes it just leaves "red mist"). A low power handgun round out of a rifle might be OK too, or even out of a handgun if you are a good shot. Low power means like a 380 or less. You need a bigger target or a weaker gun, if you want to claim the body of the animal and are not just killing stuff to be killing stuff.

Hunting is a lot of fun. My favorite part has little to do with the gun I am carrying and a lot more to do with the time in the woods and the time spent with friends. Hunting can be a lot of work and a very frustrating at times. My best advise is to find a mentor that enjoys hunting for more than killing and can teach you woodsman skills.

Whiskey is right. Best thing to do is decide what you want to hunt, then study the hunting regs to determine what weapons and ammo is legal to hunt your chosen species. It could save you some money and alot of grief. For example, hunting rabbit and squirrel with centerfire could cause a ticket, lose of vehicle and gun. Not worth it in my opinion. Whiskey mentioned finding a "mentor" to help you out. Get you a mature person (not some ya'hoo) to take you under his/her wing. Firsts of very firsts, GET YOUR HUNTER EDUCATION CARD. You'll learn alot from it, and it's the law!

Guest BEARMAN
Hunting is a lot of fun. My favorite part has little to do with the gun I am carrying and a lot more to do with the time in the woods and the time spent with friends. Hunting can be a lot of work and a very frustrating at times. My best advise is to find a mentor that enjoys hunting for more than killing and can teach you woodsman skills.

THIS ^^^^

Whiskey is right. Best thing to do is decide what you want to hunt, then study the hunting regs to determine what weapons and ammo is legal to hunt your chosen species. It could save you some money and alot of grief. For example, hunting rabbit and squirrel with centerfire could cause a ticket, lose of vehicle and gun. Not worth it in my opinion. Whiskey mentioned finding a "mentor" to help you out. Get you a mature person (not some ya'hoo) to take you under his/her wing. Firsts of very firsts, GET YOUR HUNTER EDUCATION CARD. You'll learn alot from it, and it's the law!

And also....THIS! ^^^^

Yes, get training & read the online stuff. I didnt know it either but all centerfire is apparently a no-go for such small game. I don't hunt though, my comment above was just about practical rounds for the animal, ignorant of the rules (I never knew you could use too large a round to be legal, just that it wouldnt leave much). Case in point, apparently out west prarie dog hunters vaporize the animals for fun, and this is legal there.

All previous posters are passing on good information... advice. I would just add, in that "mentor" look for someone that has a healthy respect for the land, the game, other hunters, the law, and our hunting rights. Respect and integrity go a long way in the woods!

I certainly wouldn't be hunting just to kill. I've already decided that I'm not going to hunt anything I wouldn't eat, and I won't be taking any trophies. I just assumed a .30 carbine would be better for small game cause it seemed to me to be a smaller round. Sounds like it might be a more hog/whitetail deer round from what yall are tellin' me. The only thing stopping me from getting into hunting sooner have been not living near a hunting area, not knowing anyone who hunts, and the expenses. Now that I've got a variety of firearms, some of the expenses are going out the window and I'm getting really tempted to start hunting. Either way, I'm really liking this m1 carbine I got my eye on, so I'm more then likely gonna get it. I just wanted to know what kinda stuff it would be good to hunt with since it'll be my first rifle. Everything I have now is handguns and a 12 gauge. I figure if I'm gonna get a rifle, I should at least use it for some kind of hunting.

I'm reading that .30 carbine is legal for deer and boar, and for some of the smaller critters. Beaver, bobcat, coyote, and fox were some of the ones listed. I don't think I could ever hunt foxes though. I've always liked them for some reason.

Many of fox, coyote, bobcats and like sized animals have fallen with a .30 carbine. Deer and hogs have also been taken, but I wouldn't consider it as a big game cartridge. If that's the rifle you want, then certainly get it. Become familiar with it, and spend endless hours at the range. However, I will warn you now....as you get more and more involved in hunting, you will find yourself wanting "big game" guns and other specialty items. You already have a shotgun that will cover rabbits, squirrels, birds, and, if properly outfitted will handle deer, bear and boar. Don't jump in and spend a bunch of money on starting out to hunt. You may not like it at all!

Sidewinder mentioned a Mentor. Your "mentor" should be someone who covers all the things Sidewinder mentioned in his post. I've run into people while out hunting, that to this day, I can't figure out who in their right mind would give them a hunting license, put a gun in their hands (with live ammo to boot), and send them out into the woods to terrorize wildlife and hunters! Have respect for your fellow hunters, wildlife, the land and especially the land owner!

Good Hunting!

My shotgun is an old police trade-in 870. It's definately not equipped for hunting but getting one that is isn't too much of an expense. As far as a mentor goes, I may need to talk to a buddy of mine out in Maury county. He doesn't hunt but he works for the Sheriff's department and I'm sure one of those fellas does. I'm thinking I need to see if they wouldn't mind showin' me the ropes.

There is so much more to hunting than just squeezing the trigger. Some of the most memorable times I have had hunting I didn't shoot my gun. Just sitting in a stand or blind for hours listening and watching or walking through some bottom land alert to everything going on around you. The smells. the sounds...your eyes focused on nothing but seeing everything. That's what I love about hunting.

hunting.jpg

Edited by Will Carry
  • 2 weeks later...