Need help from the Memphis members.

D3vo

My friend is taking a job in Memphis. What area should his family move to?

Any thoughts about Germantown, Collierville and Olive Branch MS?

If you were new to the Memphis area and know what you know now where would you live and why?

They are in their early 40s with two girls of high school age.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on how far he is willing to drive. If he doesn't mind driving 30 mile one way, I recommend living in Oakland (Fayette county). I say that because of the Shelby county consolidation problems and the taxes. I don't recommend living in Southhaven or Olive Branch due to the crime following the flight into MS. I live in Arlington and really love it but if I had to do it all over again, I would buy in Oakland and send my kids to a private school.. Hope that helps.

Guest db99wj

First question is schools. Are they public type, or are they more in line with parochial private schools?

Germantown, Collierville, Arlington, and Fayette County are fine, but with kids in school, that will dictate where. I prefer East Memphis, even though it is in the City Limits.

If I were moving in, I would do the same thing I am doing, East Memphis. My kids go to Catholic schools though, they would not, if financially possible, go to public schools, even though I live in the White Station School District, which is one of the better districts in the public system.

If private is something, there are several out in Cordova (St. Benedict) and others in east Shelby County that can be driven to from either Germantown/Collierville or Arlington areas.

Guest uofmeet

NOT MOVE TO MEMPHIS, NOT WORK IN MEMPHIS, NEVER COME TO THIS HELL HOLE!!

But since i am currently stuck here right now, Tipton County.

Memphis sucks, and they are doing pretty good at trying to bring shelby county down with them......

I'd be thinking of job location and drive time, as well as the schools. Personally, I'd be thinking Fayette county. The whole school thing is totally screwed up here (Shelby County / Memphis City merger).

Ummm...so are Fayette County schools.

OP, I would tell them Olive Branch or Hernando if working in the southern half of the city, eastern Bartlett, Arlington, or Tipton County if working in the northern half (Tipton and possibly Arlington will probably involve a long ride no matter where work is). Collierville is good, but pricey. All this if kids will go to public schools. If private schools are on the table, consider living closer to work/schools with the understanding that inside Memphis city limits will add significantly to their property tax bill, along with longer police response time, mandatory car inspections, garbage pickup that sometimes doesn't occur, possibly driving through riskier neighborhoods to get home, and other benefits. I would personally not live in Memphis or annexation reserve regardless of school situation. Fayette County would be a great option if working out east and kids are in private schools.

my $.02

Edited by deerslayer
Ummm...so are Fayette County schools.

OP, I would tell them Olive Branch or Hernando if working in the southern half of the city, eastern Bartlett, Arlington, or Tipton County if working in the northern half (Tipton and possibly Arlington will probably involve a long ride no matter where work is). Collierville is good, but pricey. All this if kids will go to public schools. If private schools are on the table, consider living closer to work/schools with the understanding that inside Memphis city limits will add significantly to their property tax bill, along with longer police response time, mandatory car inspections, garbage pickup that sometimes doesn't occur, possibly driving through riskier neighborhoods to get home, and other benefits. I would personally not live in Memphis or annexation reserve regardless of school situation. Fayette County would be a great option if working out east and kids are in private schools.

my $.02

Bingo. That'd be my $.02 as well. So that makes $.04!

Great private schools in Memphis. MUS and Briarcrest are the best! Just kidding. My babies attend those schools and I am very happy with them.

I don't think that Memphis is any different from other large cities. Large concentrations of poor people causes above average crime stats in certain parts of town.

There are some really great prices on homes in fayette county right now, but as the others have said public schools here have ALOT to be desired, fayette academy has been great for us and since hwy 385 opened up towards hwy 40 it only takes me about 35 or 40 minutes to get downtown. Also, living outside of town takes alot less time to get to anywhere desent to fish, hunt, or shoot.....

We live in Collierville and it's okay. We chose it for the schools and small town feel. Having said that, if we were to do it all over we would look more at Fayette County. We are at a point now where we have to decide if we are gonna stay in TN or move. If we stay it will be moving to Fayette CO.

For what it's worth- we are originally from FL & I was a LEO there. I worked out of several duty stations with one of those being Miami. My wife and I agree we both felt 100 times safer in Miami than ANYWHERE in Shelby CO.